Going SGI... - SGI

This is a discussion on Going SGI... - SGI ; After many years of loyal Macintosh use, I have decided to abandon the Mac OS and move on to the SGI/IRIX platform. I just recently picked up an old Indy R5000 to get my feet wet. What I'm looking for ...

  1. Going SGI...

    After many years of loyal Macintosh use, I have decided to abandon the Mac
    OS and move on to the SGI/IRIX platform.

    I just recently picked up an old Indy R5000 to get my feet wet.

    What I'm looking for is a source (preferably Canadian) for SGI hardware and
    IRIX 6.2 or 6.5 install CDs. Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Going SGI...

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:00:51 -0400, You wrote:
    > After many years of loyal Macintosh use, I have decided to abandon the Mac
    > OS and move on to the SGI/IRIX platform.
    >
    > I just recently picked up an old Indy R5000 to get my feet wet.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a source (preferably Canadian) for SGI hardware and
    > IRIX 6.2 or 6.5 install CDs. Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    You should be able to pick up install media on eBay.

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
    -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

  3. Re: Going SGI...

    Thanks, but I prefer not to deal with eBay. I was hoping that somebody
    might know of a computer surplus dealer/recycler/reseller in Canada that I
    could contact for all of my SGI needs. Anybody? Any Canadian users of
    SGI around?

    > From: Skylar Thompson
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.misc
    > Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:05:07 GMT
    > Subject: Re: Going SGI...
    >
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:00:51 -0400, You wrote:
    >> After many years of loyal Macintosh use, I have decided to abandon the Mac
    >> OS and move on to the SGI/IRIX platform.
    >>
    >> I just recently picked up an old Indy R5000 to get my feet wet.
    >>
    >> What I'm looking for is a source (preferably Canadian) for SGI hardware and
    >> IRIX 6.2 or 6.5 install CDs. Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly
    >> appreciated.

    > You should be able to pick up install media on eBay.
    >
    > --
    > -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
    > -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

  4. Re: Going SGI...

    You wrote:
    > Thanks, but I prefer not to deal with eBay. I was hoping that somebody
    > might know of a computer surplus dealer/recycler/reseller in Canada that I
    > could contact for all of my SGI needs. Anybody? Any Canadian users of
    > SGI around?

    The only folks I know of in Canada (other than SGI themselves) are B&B
    Solutions (http://www.bbsolutions.com/) in Laval, Quebec. However,
    their website is either horribly out of date or their prices are
    horribly out of line with reality. E.g., they're listing a 180MHz Indy
    R5000SC for $995 USD (all their prices seem to be US dollars). Compare
    that to Reputable Systems (http://www.reputable.com/) who are currently
    selling 400MHz Octane MXEs for less than that price.

    I've found that it is far easier to get stuff shipped up from the U.S
    than to try to find it in Canada.

  5. Re: Going SGI...

    You wrote:

    > After many years of loyal Macintosh use, I have decided to abandon
    > the Mac OS and move on to the SGI/IRIX platform.

    Congratulations for Your decision to abandon a living viable platform
    for riding a dead horse...

    > I just recently picked up an old Indy R5000 to get my feet wet.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is a source (preferably Canadian) for SGI
    > hardware and IRIX 6.2 or 6.5 install CDs.

    You should look around at ebay. There usually are plenty of them...

    Benjamin

  6. Re: Going SGI...

    > From: "Benjamin Gawert"
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.misc
    > Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 23:56:10 +0200
    > Subject: Re: Going SGI...
    >
    > You wrote:
    >
    >> After many years of loyal Macintosh use, I have decided to abandon
    >> the Mac OS and move on to the SGI/IRIX platform.

    > Congratulations for Your decision to abandon a living viable platform
    > for riding a dead horse...

    I don't think that the SGI platforms are dead horses. They appear to be a
    lot more fun than the Macintosh.

    I'm just abandoning the Mac OS. I intend to run either Linux or BSD on my
    Mac hardware.

    >> I just recently picked up an old Indy R5000 to get my feet wet.
    >>
    >> What I'm looking for is a source (preferably Canadian) for SGI
    >> hardware and IRIX 6.2 or 6.5 install CDs.

    > You should look around at ebay. There usually are plenty of them...
    >
    > Benjamin

  7. Re: Going SGI...

    You wrote:

    >> Congratulations for Your decision to abandon a living viable
    >> platform
    >> for riding a dead horse...
    >>

    > I don't think that the SGI platforms are dead horses.

    Even SGI says they are dead horses so it must be dead...

    > They appear
    > to be a lot more fun than the Macintosh.

    Fun maybe, but nevertheless IRIX and MIPS are dead platforms with
    almost no applications and no future...

    And I'm running MacOS X Tiger myself, and honestly it makes a lot more
    fun than my SGI O2. Not only that the Mac is much faster, You can do
    much more with it...

    > I'm just abandoning the Mac OS.

    Which MacOS? The classic one (MacOS up to 9.2.2) or MacOS X?

    > I intend to run either Linux or BSD
    > on my Mac hardware.

    Well, if You run MacOS X You basically run a modified FreeBSD...

    Benjamin

  8. Re: Going SGI...

    > From: "Benjamin Gawert"
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.misc
    > Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:42:34 +0200
    > Subject: Re: Going SGI...
    >
    > You wrote:
    >
    >>> Congratulations for Your decision to abandon a living viable
    >>> platform
    >>> for riding a dead horse...
    >>>

    >> I don't think that the SGI platforms are dead horses.

    > Even SGI says they are dead horses so it must be dead...
    >
    >> They appear
    >> to be a lot more fun than the Macintosh.

    > Fun maybe, but nevertheless IRIX and MIPS are dead platforms with
    > almost no applications and no future...

    I think they'll be just fine for my purposes. Is SGI going out of business?
    They're moving to Intel processors and Linux aren't they?

    > And I'm running MacOS X Tiger myself, and honestly it makes a lot more
    > fun than my SGI O2. Not only that the Mac is much faster, You can do
    > much more with it...
    >
    >> I'm just abandoning the Mac OS.

    > Which MacOS? The classic one (MacOS up to 9.2.2) or MacOS X?

    The classic Mac OS.

    >> I intend to run either Linux or BSD
    >> on my Mac hardware.

    > Well, if You run MacOS X You basically run a modified FreeBSD...
    >
    > Benjamin

  9. Re: Going SGI...

    > From: "Benjamin Gawert"
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi.misc
    > Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:42:34 +0200
    > Subject: Re: Going SGI...
    >
    > And I'm running MacOS X Tiger myself, and honestly it makes a lot more
    > fun than my SGI O2. Not only that the Mac is much faster, You can do
    > much more with it...

    Are you thinking about selling your SGI O2?

+ Reply to Thread