Beowulf cluster out of SGIs? - SGI

This is a discussion on Beowulf cluster out of SGIs? - SGI ; Hi Has anyone built a Beowulf cluster out of SGIs? Can it be done or is it just to much work? Maybe it must be based on Linux. I've been reading a lot of Beowulf cluster sites but most are ...

  1. Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?

    Hi
    Has anyone built a Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?
    Can it be done or is it just to much work? Maybe it must
    be based on Linux.
    I've been reading a lot of Beowulf cluster sites but
    most are PCs with Linux, some are Alphas with Linux.
    This could be a nice project for a bunch of old Indys
    in my basement if I only found some starting info.
    /Bjorn

  2. Re: Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?

    In article <19ih81ho16sqn9u7bn7il0714s9ichadk2@4ax.com>,
    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    : Has anyone built a Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?

    A few people here and there.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

    >In article <19ih81ho16sqn9u7bn7il0714s9ichadk2@4ax.com>,
    > Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    >
    >: Has anyone built a Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?
    >
    >A few people here and there.

    Thanks. So bluemtn uses basically the same idea as
    a bunch of 'lowly' Indys connected together.
    /Bjorn

  4. Re: Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?

    In article ,
    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    : Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    :
    : >In article <19ih81ho16sqn9u7bn7il0714s9ichadk2@4ax.com>,
    : > Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    : >
    : >: Has anyone built a Beowulf cluster out of SGIs?
    : >
    : >A few people here and there.
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : Thanks. So bluemtn uses basically the same idea as
    : a bunch of 'lowly' Indys connected together.

    Yes. It's basically a cluster of 48 128p Origin2000 systems, using HIPPI rather
    than Ethernet. The concept is basically the same though.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler