Re: o2 mouse trouble - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: o2 mouse trouble - SGI ; "S.C.Sprong" wrote in message news:3e48teF10f5kU1@individual.net... > But serious: as has been suggested before, the PS/2 controller is probably > half > broken, and the best course of action is to replace the motherboard. I'm not denying that this is really ...

  1. Re: o2 mouse trouble

    "S.C.Sprong" wrote in message
    > But serious: as has been suggested before, the PS/2 controller is probably
    > half
    > broken, and the best course of action is to replace the motherboard.

    I'm not denying that this is really looking like a hardware issue (after
    all, the mouse worked briefly, as in 20 seconds, and then stopped... its
    hard to explain software doing that) but there have been more and more
    software issues arising, enough to make me want to follow through with a
    complete reinstall of the OS before I do anything else.

    Unfortunately, one of those bugs is causing me some trouble in doing a clean
    wipe of the HD. Namely, I can't get into the Prom Monitor. I was using the
    o2 in tty console mode to access the command line and install the necessary
    patches; but when i was done, i put it back to graphics mode and its still
    not booting up normally.

    I seem to be stuck in some kind of console nether-mode. It boots just like
    tty mode where I don't get any welcome screen or "stop for maintenance"
    button; the monitor just sits dead for a couple minutes and then finally
    comes up with the login screen. Its also worth noting that I get the
    typical boot up music, but the led stays amber instead of green during this
    time, and after a few minutes it goes green.
    And i can't get it back to tty mode either. But I can telnet in while in
    this mode, however.

    I think i'm gonna have some trouble trying to wipe the HD clean without
    going to the Prom Monitor. (i'm basically going by Ian Mapleson's guide to
    installing irix 6.5 )

    I'm going to post this in a few other SGI ng's for a shotgun approach. To
    those groups, see comp.sys.sgi.hardware for the full thread.

    To summarize my the current state of my ongoing puzzle, can anyone explain
    why the o2 would not be giving me the option to go to the Prom Monitor? Or
    alternatively, is it possible for me to do the whole " boot -f
    dksc(0,X,8)sashARCS dksc(0,X,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x " thing without being at
    Prom Monitor?

    Thanks everyone,

    --SGINewbie

  2. Re: o2 mouse trouble

    sorry sorry sorry..

    my dumb ass wrote :
    > I seem to be stuck in some kind of console nether-mode.

    > And i can't get it back to tty mode either. But I can telnet in while in
    > this mode, however.

    i had the null modem cable on serial port 2 instead of 1.

    i'm gonna go crawl back under the rock i came out from.

    --SGINewbie

  3. Re: o2 mouse trouble

    Just in case anyone was following this, I was able to solve the problem
    somehow.
    By "somehow", I formatted and reinstalled Irix 6.3 again. The SGI granite
    mouse still did not work, but I tried the MS optical mouse again and this
    time it did work. Go figure :-)

    Thanks for everyone's help and support.

    --SGINewbie

+ Reply to Thread