I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help) - SGI

This is a discussion on I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help) - SGI ; I posted a message a week or so ago regarding getting an SGI box to do this and that, and now iam the proud owner of an Octane.... hinv reports IP30 250, R10000 with FPU mem 512 18gig HD rad ...

  1. I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    I posted a message a week or so ago regarding getting an SGI box to do this
    and that, and now iam the proud owner of an Octane....

    hinv reports IP30 250, R10000 with FPU mem 512 18gig HD rad audio and ESI
    graphics. I got a keyboard n mouse and a 24" SGI monitor for the bargian
    price of 51 quid off of ebay..

    Now you got to bare with me here cus this is my first unix box and I gota
    start some place so here I,am.

    I think I need help in the worst way.

    I was told that the the Octane had 6.5.3m installed which it has but i didnt
    get the root passwd, the only login i got is guest.

    I get and error when the desktop starts which says something like / is 99%
    full and to clear some space.

    I have a friend who told me to to goto /etc for the passwd file but "access
    denied !"

    I havent got any disks with the box so I cant do a fresh install of irix and
    there seams to be software allready loaded

    Altair Hyperworks 5 for one which would be a good starting point. "But not
    for guest"

    Any one help me to do a root exploit local so i can sort this fine lump
    out????????

  2. Re: I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    "Binky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:r0gce.7934$KO5.4238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...
    >I posted a message a week or so ago regarding getting an SGI box to
    >do this and that, and now iam the proud owner of an Octane....
    >
    > hinv reports IP30 250, R10000 with FPU mem 512 18gig HD rad audio
    > and ESI graphics. I got a keyboard n mouse and a 24" SGI monitor for
    > the bargian price of 51 quid off of ebay..

    Well, i'l prefer a r12k based octane as an good and usefull entry
    machine. But that 24" is a nice to have

    > Now you got to bare with me here cus this is my first unix box and I
    > gota start some place so here I,am.
    >
    > I think I need help in the worst way.
    >
    > I was told that the the Octane had 6.5.3m installed which it has but
    > i didnt get the root passwd, the only login i got is guest.

    Use uname -Ra to find out wich version youre exactly using.
    [o2k]:/ $ uname -Ra
    IRIX64 o2k 6.5 6.5.27m 01062343 IP27

    > I get and error when the desktop starts which says something like /
    > is 99% full and to clear some space.

    Sometimes data collectors like pcp, logfiles, backups or core files
    can fill an disk when the system is not well maintained.

    > I have a friend who told me to to goto /etc for the passwd file but
    > "access denied !"

    The /etc/passwd file it worlwide readable for users. Check if you
    systems already used shadow passwords /etc/shadow which is only
    readable for the user 'root'. If this file exist than you must change
    password there!

    > I havent got any disks with the box so I cant do a fresh install of
    > irix and there seams to be software allready loaded

    Never bought your first IRIX Machine without the medias which are
    exists for any system sgi have sell. Otherwise be sure that you have a
    good friend which have the stuff. Otherwise check your favorite P2P
    network, Ebay, or sales@sgi.com.

    > Altair Hyperworks 5 for one which would be a good starting point.
    > "But not for guest"
    >
    > Any one help me to do a root exploit local so i can sort this fine
    > lump out????????

    - Use google.
    - Get a ext. SCSI cdrom and a Installation CD
    - Use tftp/bootp to boot over the network(other sgi, linux or *bsd
    machine). Also the first DISK content is needed
    - Put the disk into a machine which can read/write the XFS system
    (another SGI, linux).

    reagards
    Joerg

  3. Re: I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    "Joerg Behrens" wrote in message
    > "Binky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:r0gce.7934$KO5.4238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...

    > Use uname -Ra to find out wich version youre exactly using.
    > [o2k]:/ $ uname -Ra
    > IRIX64 o2k 6.5 6.5.27m 01062343 IP27

    Ok i got

    IRIX64 SOFTWARE 6.5 6.5.3m 01221553 IP30

    > Sometimes data collectors like pcp, logfiles, backups or core files can
    > fill an disk when the system is not well maintained.

    It looks like its gota lota stuff on it but i dont know what iam looking at

    > The /etc/passwd file it worlwide readable for users. Check if you systems
    > already used shadow passwords /etc/shadow which is only readable for the
    > user 'root'. If this file exist than you must change password there!

    No there is no /etc/shadow

    >> Any one help me to do a root exploit local so i can sort this fine lump
    >> out????????

    > - Get a ext. SCSI cdrom

    yep got that

    >and a Installation CD

    havent got

    > - Use tftp/bootp to boot over the network(other sgi, linux or *bsd
    > machine). Also the first DISK content is needed
    > - Put the disk into a machine which can read/write the XFS system (another
    > SGI, linux).

    only got a pc with bimbows on ?

    i have a copy of IRIX 6.5.27 Installation Tools and Overlays1 but its not
    bootable and has been written on a pc.

    I can see the contents of the cd which seems to contain all the right stuff
    "miniroot" but maintainance at boot says that no media is present

    I assume that it is not written in the xfs format
    Is this any use at all? Is there a way to mount the miniroot from the
    command monitor and pop in and vi the passwd file

    > reagards
    > Joerg

  4. Re: I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    > "Joerg Behrens" wrote in message
    >> "Binky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> news:r0gce.7934$KO5.4238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...

    > No there is no /etc/shadow

    Than your IRIX installation uses oldsytle passwords and this is the
    file you have to edit.

    > yep got that

    Does it work as a boot CDROM on your octane? Connect it and use
    'hinv' in the command line modus to see which ID it have.

    [origin]:/ $ hinv | grep CDROM
    CDROM: unit 3 on SCSI controller 1

    Than use Menu 2 'install software' to load the miniroot from the
    Installation Disk

    >>and a Installation CD

    > havent got
    >
    >> - Use tftp/bootp to boot over the network(other sgi, linux or *bsd
    >> machine). Also the first DISK content is needed
    >> - Put the disk into a machine which can read/write the XFS system
    >> (another SGI, linux).

    > only got a pc with bimbows on ?

    Dont know what bimbows is but also Windows have no support for XFS or
    other FS which are used from real computers.

    > i have a copy of IRIX 6.5.27 Installation Tools and Overlays1 but
    > its not bootable and has been written on a pc.

    When your pc programm have made a 1:1 copy than i would expect that
    the SGI can boot from. IRIX media are in EFS format and cant be read
    on Windows (Linux kernel have EFS read support).

    > I can see the contents of the cd which seems to contain all the
    > right stuff "miniroot" but maintainance at boot says that no media
    > is present

    Where you can see that? When working on the Octane with our CDROM our
    on your PC?

    > I assume that it is not written in the xfs format

    EFS it is.

    > Is this any use at all? Is there a way to mount the miniroot from
    > the command monitor and pop in and vi the passwd file

    Boot into the Miniroot from the CD or over Network (tftp) and mount
    your existing disc. Sometimes miniroots does that automaticly so use
    'df' or 'mount' first to find it out. After that you can open
    Miniroot->Admin->Shell
    Start your VI editor and remove the password from the password file.

    regards
    Joerg

  5. Re: I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:18:14 GMT, "Binky" wrote:

    >i have a copy of IRIX 6.5.27 Installation Tools and Overlays1 but its not
    >bootable and has been written on a pc.

    Sounds like a supportfolio download, probably just written in iso9660 format.
    SGI bootable installation CDs are EFS format, partitioned and with the boot
    files such as sash etc in the volume header.

  6. Re: I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    > "Binky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> "Joerg Behrens" wrote in message
    >>> "Binky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> news:r0gce.7934$KO5.4238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...

    > Does it work as a boot CDROM on your octane?

    Not as a boot cdrom but if i login as guest i got all the contents reading
    ok

    If i try to install from the maintainance menu i get volume header not valid
    unable to execute xio ---------- sash64 unable to continue

    Connect it and use
    > 'hinv' in the command line modus to see which ID it have.

    > [origin]:/ $ hinv | grep CDROM
    > CDROM: unit 3 on SCSI controller 1

    ok the cdrom is unit 2 on SCSI controler 1

    > Dont know what bimbows is but also Windows have no support for XFS or
    > other FS which are used from real computers.

    bimbows means it looks pritty but its not playing with a full deck
    "windows=bimbows"

    >> I can see the contents of the cd which seems to contain all the right
    >> stuff "miniroot" but maintainance at boot says that no media is present

    > Where you can see that? When working on the Octane with our CDROM our on
    > your PC?

    both on the pc and on the octane

    >> I assume that it is not written in the xfs format

    > EFS it is.

    I think it was written in windows written as iso9660

    I read someplace that I have lost now that i can get sash from the command
    monitor would this help in any way to get a mini root started? from this
    disk "sorry" just clutching at straws"

    > regards
    > Joerg

  7. Re: I thourght i got a bargain but its a dead horse??????????? (help)

    > "Joerg Behrens" wrote in message
    >> "Binky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>
    >>> "Joerg Behrens" wrote in message

    >> Does it work as a boot CDROM on your octane?

    > Not as a boot cdrom but if i login as guest i got all the contents
    > reading ok

    Try it with a real bootable CD.

    >> Dont know what bimbows is but also Windows have no support for XFS

    or
    >> other FS which are used from real computers.

    > bimbows means it looks pritty but its not playing with a full deck
    > "windows=bimbows"

    I know what you mean with bimbows.

    >>> I can see the contents of the cd which seems to contain all the
    >>> right stuff "miniroot" but maintainance at boot says that no media
    >>> is present

    >> Where you can see that? When working on the Octane with our CDROM
    >> our on your PC?

    > both on the pc and on the octane

    When you can see the content of the CD on your windows machine it is
    no wonder why you cant boot from it. As already told you the media
    must use the EFS FS and also must have bootfiles and sash in the
    volume header.

    So hunt for a bootable IRIX 6.5 Overlay 1/x or a Installation CD.
    Otherwise use a linux/*bsd machine and perform for a network
    installation.

    regards
    Joerg

+ Reply to Thread