does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device? - SGI

This is a discussion on does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device? - SGI ; I want to install irix on an Octane 2. However, it does not have a cd rom or any usb ports. what should I do?...

  1. does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    I want to install irix on an Octane 2. However, it does not have a cd
    rom or any usb ports. what should I do?

  2. Re: does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    wakaruru wrote:
    > I want to install irix on an Octane 2. However, it does not have a cd
    > rom or any usb ports. what should I do?

    Connect an external cdrom to the 68 pin scsi port on the octane.

  3. Re: does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    See:

    http://www.vigyan.com/~blbates/sgi/h...CDROMpoll.html

    It's the only page you need to know. 8-)

    Ian.

  4. Re: does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    do I need an extra adapter to link the cdrom to octane? or any
    external cdrom can work with a 68 pin scsi port?

    thanks!

  5. Re: does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    wakaruru wrote:
    > do I need an extra adapter to link the cdrom to octane? or any
    > external cdrom can work with a 68 pin scsi port?
    >
    > thanks!

    Nope.. Just a scsi cable that matches the drive's interface on 1 end and
    has a normal 68 pin on the other. I have used many toshiba drives and a
    yamaha cd burner all successfully.

    Steve

  6. Re: does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    wakaruru wrote:
    > do I need an extra adapter to link the cdrom to octane? or any
    > external cdrom can work with a 68 pin scsi port?

    Any 68-pin (wide) SCSI external CD-ROM will work as-is (but will be very
    hard to find). Most SCSI CD-ROMs tended to be 50-pin (narrow) SCSI, for
    which you'll need an adapter to attach it to the Octane's 68-pin port.

    Note that SCSI CD-ROMs (either internal or external) are hard to find
    these days. Most of the external ones you'll be able to find new are
    either USB or FireWire. Neither will work.

  7. Re: does octane 2 support cd-rom or usb device?

    Thank you guys, that really helped a lot! So I guess what I need is to
    find a 50 pin scsi cdrom plus a scsi cable which change the 50 pin into
    68 pin right?

+ Reply to Thread