Some advice ? - SGI

This is a discussion on Some advice ? - SGI ; Iam a graphics student looking for help and or guidance with respect to buying my first sgi for a media project. I need advice with respect to what would the cheapest sgi solution be to achieve the following tasks. To ...

  1. Some advice ?

    Iam a graphics student looking for help and or guidance with respect to
    buying my first sgi for a media project.

    I need advice with respect to what would the cheapest sgi solution be to
    achieve the following tasks.

    To be able to input 2X broadcast quality video streams with sound all known
    formats.
    The ability to genlock thease two streams and return output in realtime.
    The ability to genlock additional layers of video in the form of localised
    media clips to the output.in real time.
    The ability to add real time video effects/transitions to the mixed output.

    First I would like advice with what entry level second user hardware i would
    need to achieve the above.

    Secondly If there is anyone in the UK that has access to good quality second
    user SGI items? "On a students budget."

    Thanks in advance....

  2. Re: Some advice ?

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:17:28 GMT, "Binky" wrote:

    >Iam a graphics student looking for help and or guidance with respect to
    >buying my first sgi for a media project.
    >
    >I need advice with respect to what would the cheapest sgi solution be to
    >achieve the following tasks.

    Read this thread then go and buy a MAC

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=mac...ail.com&rnum=6

  3. Re: Some advice ?

    Binky wrote:
    > Iam a graphics student looking for help and or guidance with respect to
    > buying my first sgi for a media project.
    >
    > I need advice with respect to what would the cheapest sgi solution be to
    > achieve the following tasks.
    >
    > To be able to input 2X broadcast quality video streams with sound all known
    > formats.
    > The ability to genlock thease two streams and return output in realtime.
    > The ability to genlock additional layers of video in the form of localised
    > media clips to the output.in real time.
    > The ability to add real time video effects/transitions to the mixed output.
    >

    > First I would like advice with what entry level second user hardware i would
    > need to achieve the above.
    >
    > Secondly If there is anyone in the UK that has access to good quality second
    > user SGI items? "On a students budget."
    >
    > Thanks in advance....

    I'm not sure anything but the highest end SGI workstations
    (Onyx2 or newer) can do the tasks you've outlined, and
    certainly not on a student's budget. Not only is the
    hardware prohibitively expensive, but the software required
    to provide the functionality you require would probably cost
    even more than the hardware.

    I think you may have better luck designing your project
    around dedicated broadcast video switching hardware, and
    using a PC with a scan converter for the layered media
    clips. Production switchers are ideally suited to the tasks
    you describe, and much more affordable than trying to use a
    computer-based solution.

    -zolo

+ Reply to Thread