problems installing... - SGI

This is a discussion on problems installing... - SGI ; Cheers all, i realize 6.3 is old, but its the disks we have here. My problem is this. Im trying to install this on old sun O2 machines that already have an existing irix install on them. I basically want ...

  1. problems installing...

    Cheers all, i realize 6.3 is old, but its the disks we have here. My
    problem is this. Im trying to install this on old sun O2 machines that
    already have an existing irix install on them. I basically want to
    whipe the system clean and start fresh. So i boot up, hit esc, install
    system software, blablabla select cd rom, reboots, boots up

    IRIX release 6.3
    Current system date is....

    Mounting file systems:

    /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0: Invalid agrument

    Unable to mount partition: /dev/dskdks0d1s0 on /root.
    This is your system disk: without it we have nothing
    on which to install software.

    Please manually correct your configuration and try again.

    does anyone know what im doing wrong?
    in the boot menu, i am trying to install the OS from Local SCSI CD-ROM
    drive 4

    thanks. im so confused. Cheers,
    Adam.

  2. Re: problems installing...

    balgach@gmail.com wrote:
    > Cheers all, i realize 6.3 is old, but its the disks we have here. My
    > problem is this. Im trying to install this on old sun O2 machines that
    > already have an existing irix install on them. I basically want to
    > whipe the system clean and start fresh. So i boot up, hit esc, install
    > system software, blablabla select cd rom, reboots, boots up

    My site has instructions on how to install 6.5 (bare with me here):

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

    Installing 6.3 is a very similar process in terms of initialising
    the disk.

    What you're forgetting to do after the fx procedure is using the
    admin menu in inst to do a mkfs on the disk to wipe the old
    data.

    Also, try doing a 'resetenv' in Command Monitor to make sure the system
    has the correct settings for the system disk.

    If you get stuck, feel free to email or call me & I'll talk you
    through it verbally.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgidepot/
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com (eBay ID: mapesdhs)
    Backup email (send copy to this too): sgidepot@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 476 0796 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

+ Reply to Thread