Re: Irix -> Win XP networking - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Irix -> Win XP networking - SGI ; On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:49:03 +0200, Cutrun , in wrote: >+ Hi. Is there a way to make a network connection between Irix based and Win >+ XP based machines ? What I'd like to acomplish is to be ...

  1. Re: Irix -> Win XP networking

    wrote:
    >+ Hi. Is there a way to make a network connection between Irix based and Win
    >+ XP based machines ? What I'd like to acomplish is to be able to connect to
    >+ the Internet using my Octane which is Lan connected to Win XP machine, which
    >+ is connected to the Internet over ADSL connection. Is such a thing even
    >+ possible ? And if so, what software tools do I need to have ?

    What's the topology of your network?

    Does it look like this:

    ADSL<->(some box that does NAT)<->WinXP
    |<------------>SGI

    or this?

    ADSL<->WinXP<->SGI

    It's probably the first one, I'm guessing, since you don't mention
    having multiple network ports on the WinBox. If so, you should be able
    to enable DHCP on the SGI and get an private IP from that box that the
    ADSL provided. It should then provide your SGI box NAT service, just
    like it does for the WinXP box.

    Of course, that's the way I think it should work. Your ADSL provider
    may disagree. :-\

    For the second topology, the Internet Connection Sharing method
    mentioned in another post would be the right choice. You could still
    do it that way, if you wanted, even if your SGI was connected directly
    to the ADSL box.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  2. Re: Irix -> Win XP networking

    "Cutrun" wrote in message
    > So .. er, excuse my ignorance, but I thought Octane only talks Appletalk ?
    >
    > From your posts, it seems I don't need any 3rd party software on my XP
    > side ( such as PC Mac Lan ) to even begin thinking about connecting
    > XP-Irix.
    >
    > What you're saying is Irix talks TCP/IP with no problem ?
    > Cause, if that's the case, hooray .. but if it ins't .. then PCMACLAN it
    > is .. right ?
    >
    > And please withhold your laughter .. I'm all new to Irix OS and whole SGI
    > scene, so I'm not familliar with stuff ..

    You can use telnet , ftp and rcp with no problems, you may want
    to get a freeware ftp program such as ftp commander

    http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

    I use just such a setup between XP and an Octane
    running Irix 6.5 with no problems.

    If you want more sophisticated software you can get NFS
    client software for the PC or install Samba on the Unix box

    Keith

  3. Re: Irix -> Win XP networking

    "Keith W" wrote in message

    > "Cutrun" wrote in message
    >> So .. er, excuse my ignorance, but I thought Octane only talks Appletalk
    >> ?
    >>
    >> From your posts, it seems I don't need any 3rd party software on my XP
    >> side ( such as PC Mac Lan ) to even begin thinking about connecting
    >> XP-Irix.
    >>
    >> What you're saying is Irix talks TCP/IP with no problem ?
    >> Cause, if that's the case, hooray .. but if it ins't .. then PCMACLAN it
    >> is .. right ?
    >>
    >> And please withhold your laughter .. I'm all new to Irix OS and whole SGI
    >> scene, so I'm not familliar with stuff ..
    >>

    > You can use telnet , ftp and rcp with no problems, you may want
    > to get a freeware ftp program such as ftp commander
    >
    > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    >
    > I use just such a setup between XP and an Octane
    > running Irix 6.5 with no problems.
    >

    > If you want more sophisticated software you can get NFS
    > client software for the PC or install Samba on the Unix box
    >
    > Keith

    I saw this and thourght of you !

    http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/sharity-2.7.html

    That is if you need to mount your windows disks.....

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

  4. Re: Irix -> Win XP networking

    "Binky" wrote in message
    news:G9R8e.99495$Nr5.93599@fe2.news.blueyonder.co. uk...

    > "Keith W" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Cutrun" wrote in message
    >>> So .. er, excuse my ignorance, but I thought Octane only talks Appletalk
    >>> ?
    >>>
    >>> From your posts, it seems I don't need any 3rd party software on my XP
    >>> side ( such as PC Mac Lan ) to even begin thinking about connecting
    >>> XP-Irix.
    >>>
    >>> What you're saying is Irix talks TCP/IP with no problem ?
    >>> Cause, if that's the case, hooray .. but if it ins't .. then PCMACLAN it
    >>> is .. right ?
    >>>
    >>> And please withhold your laughter .. I'm all new to Irix OS and whole
    >>> SGI scene, so I'm not familliar with stuff ..
    >>>

    >> You can use telnet , ftp and rcp with no problems, you may want
    >> to get a freeware ftp program such as ftp commander
    >>
    >> http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
    >>
    >> I use just such a setup between XP and an Octane
    >> running Irix 6.5 with no problems.
    >>

    >> If you want more sophisticated software you can get NFS
    >> client software for the PC or install Samba on the Unix box
    >>
    >> Keith

    > I saw this and thourght of you !
    >
    > http://freeware.sgi.com/Installable/sharity-2.7.html
    >
    > That is if you need to mount your windows disks.....

    We dont in all honesty, we now develop on XP and
    just copy the files across to Irix for compilation
    for our 'legacy systems' customers.

    Keith

  5. Re: Irix -> Win XP networking

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:59:42 +0200,
    Cutrun , in
    wrote:

    >+ What you're saying is Irix talks TCP/IP with no problem ?

    I certainly hope so. It was doing that last week, and I'd hate to see
    that functionality removed! ;-)

    I suspect that Irix spoke TCP/IP even before someone even thought to
    bolt a TCP/IP stack onto Windows 3.x.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.