booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000 - SGI

This is a discussion on booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000 - SGI ; Hi, I am a new proud owner of an old R5 Indy. However, the system software is deleted/non-existent/formatted. I need to get it up and running. When I turn it on (I guess) the PROM boot menu tells me that ...

  1. booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000

    Hi,

    I am a new proud owner of an old R5 Indy. However, the
    system software is deleted/non-existent/formatted. I need to get it up
    and running. When I turn it
    on (I guess) the PROM boot menu tells me that scsi partition does not
    contain boot information. The system does not have any
    floppy/optical/cdrom drives. However, in the menu there seems to be an
    option to boot from the network IP and folder. Can you help me find a
    way to boot and install an IRIX system in it?

    Thanks

  2. Re: booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000

    "mananm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:5a9c31e9.0504130553.42b8b928@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a new proud owner of an old R5 Indy. However, the
    > system software is deleted/non-existent/formatted. I need to get it up
    > and running. When I turn it
    > on (I guess) the PROM boot menu tells me that scsi partition does not
    > contain boot information. The system does not have any
    > floppy/optical/cdrom drives. However, in the menu there seems to be an
    > option to boot from the network IP and folder.

    Yes. You can start from the bootmenu [2] with a network installation. This
    is easy when having a 2nd SGI system which offers all services which are now
    needed. People manage it to use a Linux or *bsd box for that job too. Google
    will help you to find some tutorials about that.

    You must setup a tftp Server ans some special rsh versions, guest account
    and so on. Be sure that you copy the content off all the CD medias into one
    directory.

    > Can you help me find a
    > way to boot and install an IRIX system in it?

    techpubs.sgi.com contains the most public documentation which is needed.

    regards
    Joerg

    I prefer to buy a used external plextor ti/30 or /40 cdrom and a 50pin scsi
    cable befor start wasting time to setup a install server on a linux machine.

    --
    TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000

    Joerg Behrens wrote:
    > "mananm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:5a9c31e9.0504130553.42b8b928@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am a new proud owner of an old R5 Indy. However, the
    > > system software is deleted/non-existent/formatted. I need to get it

    up
    > > and running. When I turn it
    > > on (I guess) the PROM boot menu tells me that scsi partition does

    not
    > > contain boot information. The system does not have any
    > > floppy/optical/cdrom drives. However, in the menu there seems to be

    an
    > > option to boot from the network IP and folder.

    > Yes. You can start from the bootmenu [2] with a network installation.

    This
    > is easy when having a 2nd SGI system which offers all services which

    are now
    > needed. People manage it to use a Linux or *bsd box for that job too.

    Google
    > will help you to find some tutorials about that.
    >
    > You must setup a tftp Server ans some special rsh versions, guest

    account
    > and so on. Be sure that you copy the content off all the CD medias

    into one
    > directory.
    >

    > > Can you help me find a
    > > way to boot and install an IRIX system in it?

    > techpubs.sgi.com contains the most public documentation which is

    needed.

    > regards
    > Joerg
    >
    > I prefer to buy a used external plextor ti/30 or /40 cdrom and a

    50pin scsi
    > cable befor start wasting time to setup a install server on a linux

    machine.

    > --
    > TakeNet GmbH Mobil: 0171/60 57 963
    > D-97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243
    > Alfred-Nobel-Straße 20 Fax: +49 931 903-3025

  4. Re: booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > Yes. You can start from the bootmenu [2] with a network installation. This
    > is easy when having a 2nd SGI system which offers all services which are now
    > needed. People manage it to use a Linux or *bsd box for that job too. Google
    > will help you to find some tutorials about that.
    >
    > You must setup a tftp Server ans some special rsh versions, guest account
    > and so on. Be sure that you copy the content off all the CD medias into one
    > directory.

    a complete collection of SGI machines sure is a good option ;-)
    (I prefer an inst server which provides system, free- and nekoware etc.)

    Now - just curious - will swmgr allow for remote install sources via IP?
    Eventually from SGI´s site itself (IRIX up to 6.5.22 is free AFAIK)?
    Or somebody knows some secret system server IP...

    Cheers

    Walther

  5. Re: booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000

    Walther Mathieu wrote:

    > Now - just curious - will swmgr allow for remote install sources via IP?

    Yes it will.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

  6. Re: booting and installing OS in an Indy R5000

    See:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/netboot.html

    That should cover all you need to know.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgidepot/
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com (eBay ID: mapesdhs)
    Backup email (send copy to this too): sgidepot@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 476 0796 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

+ Reply to Thread