We have the following system:

SGI Fuel running IRIX 6.5.25f
700 MHz IP35
R16000
2GB Main Memory
4 GB Swap Partition

We have a 64-bit application that provides the user with the capability
to load images for analysis.

One day, we decided to test the limits of the system by using our
application to load numerous images. At the same time, we were also
using "top" to monitor the memory and swap usage.

Once all of the available swap was nearly used up, a message was
suddenly displayed on the console relating to "/: filesystem corrupted"
and our application was killed by IRIX.

After using our CDROM to boot to miniroot, we attempted to repair our
root filesystem by using xfs_repair. However, after it was finished,
there was not much left that was discernable, so we just cut our losses
and reloaded the system from scratch.

After a day or so of rebuilding / reinstalling, we again decided to
test the limits of the system.

We encountered almost the exact same problem.

What could be causing the corruption of our XFS filesystem?

Thanks.