Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers... - SGI

This is a discussion on Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers... - SGI ; Greetings. Please also copy my email on your reply and not only the newsgroup. I am trying to understand how the compilers are named and how the versioning works. Here is a sampling of SGI media that I recently came ...

  1. Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    Greetings.

    Please also copy my email on your reply and not only the newsgroup.
    I am trying to understand how the compilers are named and how the
    versioning works. Here is a sampling of SGI media that I recently
    came into possession of:

    Trusted IRIX Developers Option 4.0.5EPL
    IRIS Development Option 6.0.2
    MIPSPro Power Fortran90 6.1
    MIPSPro Power Fortran77 6.0
    Ada95 Compiler 1.1
    MIPSpro Power C 6.0.1
    MIPSpro C++ 6.0.2
    IRIS PowerC 6.2
    MIPSPro C 7.2
    MIPSPro Power Fortran77 6.2 (GCS Edition)
    IRIS Development Option 7.0.1
    IRIS Development Option 6.2
    Ada95 Compiler 1.3
    MIPSPro All-Compiler CD 1999
    Compiler Execution Environment 7.3

    So now for a few questions:

    1) What exactly does a 'Development Option' include? All compilers?

    2) Above I have IRIS Development Option 6.2 and IRIS PowerC 6.2. Does
    the Development Option not have PowerC? What is the difference?

    3) Are the Ada compilers stand-alone and do not need the C compilers
    in order to work properly? I would assume the Ada runtime libraries
    are all that is needed.

    4) What is the difference between MIPSpro C and PowerC?

    5) Apparently MIPSpro 7.0 started with IRIX 6.2 and 7.1 was for both
    IRIX 6.2 and 6.3?

    6) So did IRIS Development Option 6.2 contain MIPSpro 7.0 or 7.1
    compilers?

    7) What exactly is the compiler execution environment all about?

    Forgive the ignorant questions, but I'm just trying to piece together
    how the whole compiler toolchain history works. Thanks a bunch.

    -Steve

  2. Re: Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    No doubt I will get some detail wrong here. Sorry.

    In article ,
    Steven J. Hill wrote:
    >Greetings.
    >
    >Please also copy my email on your reply and not only the newsgroup.
    >I am trying to understand how the compilers are named and how the
    >versioning works. Here is a sampling of SGI media that I recently
    >came into possession of:
    >
    > Trusted IRIX Developers Option 4.0.5EPL

    For IRIX4 I think. Very old machines.
    Slow, power hungry.

    > IRIS Development Option 6.0.2

    IDO was for befor IRIX 6.2.
    This was likely for IRIX 6.0, a release only on some
    machines in the 94-95? timeframe.

    > MIPSPro Power Fortran90 6.1

    Probably useless. For IRIX 6.1

    > MIPSPro Power Fortran77 6.0

    Probably useless. For IRIX 6.0

    > Ada95 Compiler 1.1

    My oh my a bit old.

    > MIPSpro Power C 6.0.1

    Probably useless. For IRIX 6.0

    > MIPSpro C++ 6.0.2

    Probably useless. For IRIX 6.0

    > IRIS PowerC 6.2
    > MIPSPro C 7.2

    The front end for the 7.2 release.
    See later comment about IDO

    > MIPSPro Power Fortran77 6.2 (GCS Edition)

    GCS stood for Global Customer Support.
    In any case you don't want this.

    > IRIS Development Option 7.0.1

    Ah. So IDO still existed in 7.0 (memory failing...).

    > IRIS Development Option 6.2

    IDO as of the initial IRIX 6.2 release.

    > Ada95 Compiler 1.3

    ACT Ada.

    > MIPSPro All-Compiler CD 1999

    Front ends here. Requiring licences for legal use.

    > Compiler Execution Environment 7.3

    An Execution Environment runtime stuff. For example compiler_eoe
    when installed. compiler_eoe is runtime support for executing
    applications, such as libexc.so, libm.so, libmp.so,
    and certain tools.
    versions long |grep compiler_eoe
    will show you what is in it on an IRIX machine.
    It is on every machine by default (well, since IRIX5.0).
    Not optional. The 7.3 versions was the initial MIPSpro7.3
    compilers runtime support.

    The binary compatibility guarantee (which I will not explain
    here, google it) meant things compiled with 7.2 would
    continue to run when a new eoe installed.

    However, Compiler Execution Environment 7.3 is the *initial*
    7.3 compiler_eoe and most systems would have upgraded
    to later 7.3.x compiler_eoe.

    >So now for a few questions:
    >
    > 1) What exactly does a 'Development Option' include? All compilers?

    No. It included back ends and tools and the C front end (both
    ANSI and K&R C). No other front ends.

    IDO was never free.

    As has been described in these newsgroups before (many times)
    IDO was split into IDF and IDL and front-ends at the time
    of MIPSpro7.2. This split made IDO vanish and made it possible
    for folks to get free IDF/IDL and gcc so apps could be built
    on IRIX without forcing purchase of the C front end.
    About 1995/1996.

    > 2) Above I have IRIS Development Option 6.2 and IRIS PowerC 6.2. Does
    > the Development Option not have PowerC? What is the difference?

    PowerC was the name for the compiler doing
    automatic-parallelization
    using a 3rd party source-source transformer .

    PowerC cost us extra to ship. So it was not shipped
    unless it was paid for.
    PowerC was of no use unless you had multiple processors.
    (Single System Image on IRIX. Not for clusters).

    When we introduced MIPSpro7.x compilers PowerC became obsolete.
    The new back end did it all, making the 3rd party stuff
    irrelevant.

    > 3) Are the Ada compilers stand-alone and do not need the C compilers
    > in order to work properly? I would assume the Ada runtime libraries
    > are all that is needed.

    Can't recall for sure about Ada 1.3 but pretty sure this is GNAT based.
    (ie, Ada Core Technologies).

    Ada compilers *do* require either IDO or IDF/IDL as GNU linker
    and tools were never useful on IRIX.
    (I'm overstating. objdump/readobj are clearly useful on IRIX,
    but not the GNU linker).

    > 4) What is the difference between MIPSpro C and PowerC?

    See above, but:
    Google will point you to techpubs.sgi.com
    keywords
    powerc sgi

    > 5) Apparently MIPSpro 7.0 started with IRIX 6.2 and 7.1 was for both
    > IRIX 6.2 and 6.3?

    And IRIX 6.4
    So was MIPSpro7.2 for all those releases.

    IRIX 6.2 was installable on all systems of the period.
    IRIX 6.3 was only O2.
    IRIX 6.4 was only a few 'large' machines.

    Not till IRIX 6.5 was IRIX all-system again.
    (as it still is with IRIX 6.5.25, though various obsolete
    machines have fallen off the list, 6.5.22 is the last
    that supports O2 R5K for example).

    > 6) So did IRIS Development Option 6.2 contain MIPSpro 7.0 or 7.1
    > compilers?

    IDO6.2 was before MIPSpro 7.0.

    > 7) What exactly is the compiler execution environment all about?

    >Forgive the ignorant questions, but I'm just trying to piece together
    >how the whole compiler toolchain history works. Thanks a bunch.

    techpubs.sgi.com has all the manuals for all this.
    (but not for IRIX4, IRIX4 books were never in the right form
    for the web. We had the technology for the books and the web, but
    nobody could really get at the books (the web
    did not really exist then for most folks) so we did
    not make them web-available then and it's not sensible now.)

    Hope there are not too many mistakes above.

    Google is your friend.

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea

  3. Re: Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    In article ,
    David Anderson wrote:
    :IDO was never free.

    Wasn't the 5.3 IDO made free eventually?

  4. Re: Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    David Anderson wrote:

    > Not till IRIX 6.5 was IRIX all-system again.
    > (as it still is with IRIX 6.5.25, though various obsolete
    > machines have fallen off the list, 6.5.22 is the last
    > that supports O2 R5K for example).

    Why do I have an O2 R5K running on 6.5.27 then ? To my knowledge,
    all O2's are still supported under the current releases of IRIX.
    I thought the support was dependent on the model, not on the CPU
    (Indigo2 R10K and Indy R5K are not supoorted beyond 6.5.22, O2 R5K and
    O2 R10K both are).

    Best regards

    Rudi Hoeben

  5. Re: Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:53:31 +0100, Rudi Hoeben wrote:

    >David Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Not till IRIX 6.5 was IRIX all-system again.
    >> (as it still is with IRIX 6.5.25, though various obsolete
    >> machines have fallen off the list, 6.5.22 is the last
    >> that supports O2 R5K for example).

    >Why do I have an O2 R5K running on 6.5.27 then ? To my knowledge,
    >all O2's are still supported under the current releases of IRIX.
    >I thought the support was dependent on the model, not on the CPU
    >(Indigo2 R10K and Indy R5K are not supoorted beyond 6.5.22, O2 R5K and
    >O2 R10K both are).

    True, IP32 still works fine with the greatest and latest IRIX.

    See https://support.sgi.com/content_requ...036/index.html

  6. Re: Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    In article ,
    Walter Roberson wrote:
    >In article ,
    >David Anderson wrote:
    >:IDO was never free.
    >
    >Wasn't the 5.3 IDO made free eventually?

    Yes, I had momentarily forgotten. Even though I had a hand
    in making it available!

    5.3 IDO was made free and along with IDF/IDL for IRIX 6.2
    (and 6.3 and 6.4). 5.3IDO and IDF/IDL for IRIX6.[234] were
    officially declared freely sharable and copyable.

    These are still available in the directories:
    ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/IRIX5.3/
    ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/IRIX6.2/
    ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/IRIX6.3/
    ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/IRIX6.4/

    The 'copyable sharable' part being quite unusual for SGI products.

    Thanks for the reminder (Brent B. reminded me too!).
    David A.

  7. Re: Understanding the many versions of IRIX/MIPSpro compilers...

    In article ,
    Neil Rothwell wrote:
    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:53:31 +0100, Rudi Hoeben wrote:
    >
    >>David Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not till IRIX 6.5 was IRIX all-system again.
    >>> (as it still is with IRIX 6.5.25, though various obsolete
    >>> machines have fallen off the list, 6.5.22 is the last
    >>> that supports O2 R5K for example).

    >>Why do I have an O2 R5K running on 6.5.27 then ? To my knowledge,
    >>all O2's are still supported under the current releases of IRIX.
    >>I thought the support was dependent on the model, not on the CPU
    >>(Indigo2 R10K and Indy R5K are not supoorted beyond 6.5.22, O2 R5K and
    >>O2 R10K both are).

    >True, IP32 still works fine with the greatest and latest IRIX.
    >
    >See https://support.sgi.com/content_requ...036/index.html

    Sorry about the error.
    Thanks for the correction and link.
    David A.