IRIX - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX - SGI ; Hi all, I have recently come into ownership of a SGI 02 MIPS. However the problem is that: 1: I don't know the root password 2: You can't boot them into single user (so I have been told). This leaves ...

  1. IRIX

    Hi all,

    I have recently come into ownership of a SGI 02 MIPS. However the
    problem is that:
    1: I don't know the root password
    2: You can't boot them into single user (so I have been told).

    This leaves me:
    1: Mounting the disk on another SGI system to try and root it.
    2: Get an installation disk.

    Is there any other way I can get round this little problem?

    Thanks in advance....

    -Mike M

  2. Re: IRIX

    Mike Morley wrote in news:d0o967$n53$1
    @newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have recently come into ownership of a SGI 02 MIPS. However the
    > problem is that:
    > 1: I don't know the root password
    > 2: You can't boot them into single user (so I have been told).

    You can boot them into single user mode but alas you will still IIRC need
    the root password

    > This leaves me:
    > 1: Mounting the disk on another SGI system to try and root it.

    You may also be able to mount it on a linux box if that has it's kernel
    compiled with xfs/efs support, you will of course also need a linux
    supported SCSI card and apropreate cables.

    Depending on how the system is setup you may need to remove the root
    password from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow these are just text files so you
    can use your prefered editor to do this.

    HTH

    Phill.

+ Reply to Thread