SGI Monitor question - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI Monitor question - SGI ; I've got a 19 inch SGI monitor (model GDM-20D11) that a friend gave me along with an Indy and an Indigo2. I have an adapter that goes from SGI -> VGA so that I can hook the monitor up to ...

  1. SGI Monitor question

    I've got a 19 inch SGI monitor (model GDM-20D11) that a friend gave me
    along with an Indy and an Indigo2. I have an adapter that goes from
    SGI -> VGA so that I can hook the monitor up to my machine. I'm running
    Mac OS X 10.3.8 on a dual processor G4 machine. I'm unable to get the
    SGI monitor to come out of "amber" mode.

    Pictures of the monitor and the adapter can be seen here:
    http://vaxcave.com/index.php?p=310

    Does anyone have any ideas in getting this monitor to go live? Any help
    is appreciated. Sorry for storming your group for answers, I'm not
    getting much help anywhere else. :-\

    -Dave

  2. Re: SGI Monitor question

    That monitor only works with sync-on-green. IF you can use another monitor
    to manually force the Mac into an old Mac mode, 1152 x 870 @75HZ, it MAY
    also generate the old mac sync-on-green. Not too likely, but a remote
    possibility.
    The monitor can also be modified internally to connect the H & V sync leads
    out to the 13W3 connector. (The wires are not physically connected, but the
    sync circuits are on the board internally) Google for info, but be aware
    that a LOT of misinformation exists on this subject. A good monitor repair
    shop should be able to make the mod work, for a price. Another problem if
    you take this approach is that the sgi 13W3 cables also don't connect the
    sync lines through the cable. So you will need a different adapter that will
    plug into the 13W3 connector on the monitor and use a high quality male to
    male VGA (HD15) cable. You will need to make sure the adapter connects the
    sync lines to the same pins as are connected to the 13W3 connector on the
    monitor by the mod shop.
    An even better alternative is to donate or dump that monitor and get a newer
    one. It has scan range limitations and is already 10 years old, who knows
    how many hours it has on it. You may go to a lot of trouble and expense to
    find out that the monitor is ready to die anyway...
    If it were me, I would try setting the mode on the Mac, if that didn't work,
    I would get a different monitor that will work with the sync-on-green from
    the sgi's and also work with separate syncs for the mac.
    Good luck.
    Ed (the cable geek)

    wrote in message
    news:1110238063.152529.106400@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I've got a 19 inch SGI monitor (model GDM-20D11) that a friend gave me
    > along with an Indy and an Indigo2. I have an adapter that goes from
    > SGI -> VGA so that I can hook the monitor up to my machine. I'm running
    > Mac OS X 10.3.8 on a dual processor G4 machine. I'm unable to get the
    > SGI monitor to come out of "amber" mode.
    >
    > Pictures of the monitor and the adapter can be seen here:
    > http://vaxcave.com/index.php?p=310
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas in getting this monitor to go live? Any help
    > is appreciated. Sorry for storming your group for answers, I'm not
    > getting much help anywhere else. :-\
    >
    > -Dave

  3. Re: SGI Monitor question

    In article <74mdnTbaxY3rV7DfRVn-oA@megapath.net>,
    "Ed Hall" wrote:

    : it MAY also generate the old mac sync-on-green.

    Old macs never used Sync-on-green.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  4. Re: SGI Monitor question

    > The monitor can also be modified internally to connect the H & V sync leads

    I found a pretty good mod guide for this monitor to make it work with
    a PC, unfortunately I've long since lost the link but I assume it will
    still be out there somewhere... it contained brilliant step by step
    photographs too. Only problem I encountered was that it required a
    fully connected SGI cable (which I didn't have), so I had to pull the
    signals from another point on the circuit board and used a couple of
    the unconnected pins in my cable. The results were usable, but the
    picture was shifted over to the left so you had to adjust the screen
    settings on the monitor, also the max resolution I could get out of a
    PC with this monitor was 1024x768, and had a darkish tinge but wasn't
    too bad really. That particular monitor has been in use up until
    about two weeks ago, and from what I gather is still going strong!

    Oh, and rather than chop up the nice SGI cable I got a 13W3 connector
    off a broken Extreme board (any old SGI graphics board should do) and
    a VGA lead off a broken PC monitor and wired them up together
    according to the cable specs for each. These went into a little
    project box so I had a neat solution. Good soldering skills are a
    must though as the signals need to be clean, and you don't want bits
    of old solder dropping into the circuitry! Also monitor safety is a
    big issue too as there's a heck of a lot of volts flying around a huge
    monitor like that, even after it's been turned off (the tube is
    basically a huge capacitor - just don't touch it or the circuit board
    pins with your fingers!).

  5. Re: SGI Monitor question

    Aside from modding it, it may be far far easier to spend maybe 80 quid
    on a dual input model and connect it straight up to your SGI and/or
    Mac. I found it quite amusing that a 20" VGA monitor is still highly
    sought after, whereas the (probably higher quality) dual input SGI
    monitors are cheap as chips!

  6. Re: SGI Monitor question

    HI...
    try this link....
    http://ivanl.host.sk/gdm20d11/

    gf.

    PS. It was quite easy....

    wrote in message
    news:1110238063.152529.106400@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I've got a 19 inch SGI monitor (model GDM-20D11) that a friend gave me
    > along with an Indy and an Indigo2. I have an adapter that goes from
    > SGI -> VGA so that I can hook the monitor up to my machine. I'm running
    > Mac OS X 10.3.8 on a dual processor G4 machine. I'm unable to get the
    > SGI monitor to come out of "amber" mode.
    >
    > Pictures of the monitor and the adapter can be seen here:
    > http://vaxcave.com/index.php?p=310
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas in getting this monitor to go live? Any help
    > is appreciated. Sorry for storming your group for answers, I'm not
    > getting much help anywhere else. :-\
    >
    > -Dave

  7. Re: SGI Monitor question

    try this link:
    http://ivanl.host.sk/gdm20d11/

    gf.

    PS... it is quite simple.....

    "Jonathan" wrote in message
    news:f6895097.0503090311.7e9802d3@posting.google.c om...
    >> The monitor can also be modified internally to connect the H & V sync
    >> leads

    > I found a pretty good mod guide for this monitor to make it work with
    > a PC, unfortunately I've long since lost the link but I assume it will
    > still be out there somewhere... it contained brilliant step by step
    > photographs too. Only problem I encountered was that it required a
    > fully connected SGI cable (which I didn't have), so I had to pull the
    > signals from another point on the circuit board and used a couple of
    > the unconnected pins in my cable. The results were usable, but the
    > picture was shifted over to the left so you had to adjust the screen
    > settings on the monitor, also the max resolution I could get out of a
    > PC with this monitor was 1024x768, and had a darkish tinge but wasn't
    > too bad really. That particular monitor has been in use up until
    > about two weeks ago, and from what I gather is still going strong!
    >
    > Oh, and rather than chop up the nice SGI cable I got a 13W3 connector
    > off a broken Extreme board (any old SGI graphics board should do) and
    > a VGA lead off a broken PC monitor and wired them up together
    > according to the cable specs for each. These went into a little
    > project box so I had a neat solution. Good soldering skills are a
    > must though as the signals need to be clean, and you don't want bits
    > of old solder dropping into the circuitry! Also monitor safety is a
    > big issue too as there's a heck of a lot of volts flying around a huge
    > monitor like that, even after it's been turned off (the tube is
    > basically a huge capacitor - just don't touch it or the circuit board
    > pins with your fingers!).

+ Reply to Thread