cd doesn't automount - SGI

This is a discussion on cd doesn't automount - SGI ; I'm new to Irix and trying to learn my way around by experimenting with a second-hand O2 running 6.5.19. I've read that CDs are supposed to automount, by they don't for me. I'm trying to learn what daemons I need ...

  1. cd doesn't automount

    I'm new to Irix and trying to learn my way around by experimenting with
    a second-hand O2 running 6.5.19. I've read that CDs are supposed to
    automount, by they don't for me. I'm trying to learn what daemons I
    need to check on or how my fstab should be configured, but I'm finding
    lots of dead ends from Google that don't quite answer my questions.
    Online docs haven't been much help because not all man pages seem to be
    installed, and I'm finding quite a few commands are in odd locations not
    in my $PATH by default so I discover them by accident. So I feel like a
    blind man poking around a new environment. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: cd doesn't automount

    Timothy Larson wrote:
    > I'm new to Irix and trying to learn my way around by experimenting with
    > a second-hand O2 running 6.5.19. I've read that CDs are supposed to
    > automount, by they don't for me. I'm trying to learn what daemons I
    > need to check on or how my fstab should be configured, but I'm finding
    > lots of dead ends from Google that don't quite answer my questions.
    > Online docs haven't been much help because not all man pages seem to be
    > installed, and I'm finding quite a few commands are in odd locations not
    > in my $PATH by default so I discover them by accident. So I feel like a
    > blind man poking around a new environment. Any suggestions?

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/

    man mediad

    /etc/config/mediad

    Toni
    --
    I am root. If you see me laughing you better have a backup.

  3. Re: cd doesn't automount

    In article <38n33vF5npaqaU1@individual.net>,
    Toni Grass wrote:

    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    >
    > man mediad
    >
    > /etc/config/mediad

    I'd discovered the existence of mediad through Google, but don't know
    where to get it, nor what its config file should look like to do what I
    want, nor what its init.d script should look like. If I at least had
    the binary I could test with different configs until I got it to work.
    Am I screwed without the binary?

    I can't even get the CD to mount manually. It should be as easy as
    "mount -t " but I get "block device required" errors
    all the time.

  4. Re: cd doesn't automount

    Timothy Larson wrote:
    > In article <38n33vF5npaqaU1@individual.net>,
    > Toni Grass wrote:
    >
    >> http://techpubs.sgi.com/
    >>
    >> man mediad
    >>
    >> /etc/config/mediad

    > I'd discovered the existence of mediad through Google, but don't know
    > where to get it, nor what its config file should look like to do what I
    > want, nor what its init.d script should look like. If I at least had
    > the binary I could test with different configs until I got it to work.
    > Am I screwed without the binary?
    >
    > I can't even get the CD to mount manually. It should be as easy as
    > "mount -t
    " but I get "block device required" errors
    > all the time.

    mediad comes with IRIX. You need to have eoe.sw.rm_media installed.
    If you don't have mediad, you can mount CDs manually, but let's not
    bother with that. Do the following to check if you have it:

    # showfiles eoe.sw.rm_media
    f 49244 3 eoe.sw.rm_media c etc/config/mediad
    f 16460 3 eoe.sw.rm_media c etc/config/mediad.options
    f 11315 1377 eoe.sw.rm_media etc/init.d/mediad
    l 0 0 eoe.sw.rm_media etc/rc0.d/K09mediad
    l 0 0 eoe.sw.rm_media etc/rc2.d/S97mediad
    f 1423 221996 eoe.sw.rm_media usr/etc/mediad

    If you don't have it, you'll get no listing, and you'll need to
    install it from the IRIX CDs.

    If you do have it, then you should check that it is enabled:

    # chkconfig |grep mediad
    mediad on

    If it is not 'on', then turn it on and run the init script:

    # chkconfig mediad on
    # /etc/init.d/mediad start

    The default config should just work for you. The config files
    are:

    /etc/config/mediad.options
    /etc/config/mediad.config

    The .options file, which just contains command line arguments, will
    probably just contain '-n'. The .config file may not exist, or may
    contain nothing but comments (lines starting with #). If it does
    exist, then you'll need to read the man page on mediad to work out
    what your config is doing. You can probably move the config file
    out of the way and start mediad with no config file.

    If CDs will still not mount, you can run mediad in the foreground
    and have it spit out lots of information:

    # killall mediad
    # mediad -f

    If still no luck, then post the output of 'mediad -f' here, along
    with:

    # uname -Ra
    # hinv
    # scsicontrol -ivv /dev/scsi/sc0d4l0
    (replace the scsi device with the one for your CD drive.)

    'hinv' will tell you what scsi bus and device your CDROM is. For
    example:

    # hinv|grep CD
    CDROM: unit 4 on SCSI controller 0

    So 'controller 0' means '/dev/scsi/sc0' and 'unit 4' means '.../sc0d4'
    and you can just add the 'l0' on the end.

    Also, please tell us what CD you are trying to mount ... A music CD? A
    ISO9660 data CD? An IRIX installation CD? A packet-written UDF CD?
    Some Mac HFS/ISO hybrid?

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  5. Re: cd doesn't automount

    In article ,
    Ivan Rayner wrote:

    > Timothy Larson wrote:
    > > I can't even get the CD to mount manually. It should be as easy as
    > > "mount -t
    " but I get "block device required" errors
    > > all the time.

    > mediad comes with IRIX. You need to have eoe.sw.rm_media installed.
    > If you don't have mediad, you can mount CDs manually, but let's not
    > bother with that. Do the following to check if you have it:

    I still wonder why I couldn't get CDs to mount manually.

    > If you don't have it, you'll get no listing, and you'll need to
    > install it from the IRIX CDs.

    I did get it installed. Thanks, everybody.

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread