Intel misses Itanium sales (...SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes...) - SGI

This is a discussion on Intel misses Itanium sales (...SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes...) - SGI ; Under the heading of "Intel misses Itanium sales mark by $26.6bn" the English webzine The Register mentions at: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...nium_04_sales/ that "SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes to take 4 per cent of the market". I can imagine that some people ...

  1. Intel misses Itanium sales (...SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes...)

    Under the heading of "Intel misses Itanium sales mark by $26.6bn"
    the English webzine The Register mentions at:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...nium_04_sales/
    that "SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes to take 4 per cent of the market".
    I can imagine that some people will have to undergo some serious
    questioning.The most serious ones that I can envisage are: why did we
    ever became dependent ofout-off-company development (swapping MIPS for
    Intel) in the first place,and why did we forsake our own roots
    (abandoning Irix for Linux - previouslyWindows NT). I remember Apple
    doing silly things during the midterm Nineties,barely surviving untill
    the discovered their own strength.
    Hopefully SGI (previously proudly called Silicon Graphics) manages the
    same...

    AvS

  2. Re: Intel misses Itanium sales (...SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes...)

    The answer should be obvious for anyone who's kept up with how this
    market has developed over the years.

    There's no way SGI could have produced its own design at a price
    competitive enough to beat Intel's offering of the day. SGI's CPU
    would have been faster (around 30% or more I was told) but not
    *enough* faster to warrant the higher cost. Add to that the lure
    of Intel salaries for the IA64 programme and the inevitable staff
    movements which followed, and there you have it.

    Some of SGI's ideas are now in the IA64. It's a fast chip, it's scaling
    well and SGI is doing good things with it. Whatever one may have
    wished had happened, the real world isn't like that. Would you have
    been able to turn down $85/hour?

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgidepot/
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Backup email (send copy to this too): sgidepot@blueyonder.co.uk
    Home: +44 (0)131 476 0796 (best to call this number first)
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/

  3. Re: Intel misses Itanium sales (...SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes...)

    arie van schutterhoef wrote:

    > that "SGI moved just over 1,000 boxes to take 4 per cent of the market".

    Is that 1000 computers = 4% of Itanium-based computers? Or is that 1000
    computers = 4% of Itanium CPUs?

    IIRC, somewhere (but I'm not sure where) I saw stats that showed SGI
    wasn't near the top in number of Itanium-based _computers_ sold, but was
    in the five for number of _CPUs_ shipped. A single 256 CPU Altix is
    counted as _one_ system by some statisticians and considered equivalent
    to a 1 or 2 CPU system from another vendor.

+ Reply to Thread