x86 emulation for SGI? - SGI

This is a discussion on x86 emulation for SGI? - SGI ; Hello. Is there any hardware/software to do x86 emulation on a SGI machine? I mean, running Windows/Linux/whatever on a window inside the IRIX desktop, like "Virtual PC" on the Macintosh. I think Bochs can compile in IRIX, but Bochs is ...

  1. x86 emulation for SGI?

    Hello.

    Is there any hardware/software to do x86 emulation on a SGI machine?

    I mean, running Windows/Linux/whatever on a window inside the IRIX
    desktop, like "Virtual PC" on the Macintosh.

    I think Bochs can compile in IRIX, but Bochs is really slow to do
    anything better than running MS-DOS. (I want to run Windows 98 or 2000)

    Thanks!

  2. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    Hi,

    Chaos Master wrote:

    > Is there any hardware/software to do x86 emulation on a SGI machine?

    There is 'Bochs' - but as you stated, it's very slow. There's also a
    version of Insignias 'Softwindows 95', which was bundled with some O2
    AFAIK. If you just need DOS, you can also try 'dosbox'.

    > (I want to run Windows 98 or 2000)

    You probably won't be able to get any of them to run. And even if you
    could manage to get 'Softwindows' run Win98, it probably would still be
    very slow.

    Dominik.

  3. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    Chaos Master writes:

    > Is there any hardware/software to do x86 emulation on a SGI machine?

    SGI used to ship SoftWindows 95 with IRIX. It does. Whether it does
    a good or a bad job is a completely different matter... but I've seen
    it work on an Indy in 1996.

    > I think Bochs can compile in IRIX, but Bochs is really slow to do
    > anything better than running MS-DOS. (I want to run Windows 98 or 2000)

    It may not be a good idea even if you get hold of SoftWindows.

  4. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    I remember playing around with SoftWindows 95 back when we first got our O2's in 1997. Of course those O2's were the bare minimum R5K's, 300MHz, and 128RAM. So it didn't run that great. Wonder how it would run on a more powerful machine? Wonder where I could find a copy of it?

    -chris

    --
    Chris Jones
    (to email me, just take out the NOSPAM)

    Under US Code Title 47, Sec.227(b)(1)(C), Sec.227(a)(2)(B)
    This email address may not be added to any commercial mail list with out
    my permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
    result in a suit for a MINIMUM of $500 damages/incident, $1500 for repeats.

  5. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    I still got a SoftWindows 95 CD, and have it running on an Octane R12k
    300MHz. Runs pretty decent.

    -ks

    Chris Jones wrote in

    > I remember playing around with SoftWindows 95 back when we first got
    > our O2's in 1997. Of course those O2's were the bare minimum R5K's,
    > 300MHz, and 128RAM. So it didn't run that great. Wonder how it
    > would run on a more powerful machine? Wonder where I could find a
    > copy of it?
    >
    > -chris

  6. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    This is Dominik Schlütter for forever:

    > > (I want to run Windows 98 or 2000)

    > You probably won't be able to get any of them to run. And even if you
    > could manage to get 'Softwindows' run Win98, it probably would still be
    > very slow.

    What version of Windows that can be used with SoftWindows?

    Even Windows 95 or NT 4.0 would be OK. (It's just to use PSpice)

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - 29.55° S
    / 51.11° W / GMT-2h / 15m .

    "People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
    I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
    -- Amy Lee

    (My e-mail address isn't read. Please reply to the group!)

  7. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    In article ,
    Chaos Master wrote:

    [... emulating windows on IRIX ...]

    You know, you'd probably be much better off getting a cheap PC with windows, and
    running rdesktop on your SGI to access windows applications. Same basic
    experience, but with 5000x the performance.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  8. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    > I still got a SoftWindows 95 CD, and have it running on an Octane R12k
    > 300MHz. Runs pretty decent.

    It's still not Windows98 or 2000 though, and I suspect there's
    probably not too many newer programs that will run on SoftWindows 95.
    Depends what the person who posed the original question wants to run,
    he may be better off getting hold of a cheapy PC.

  9. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk (Jonathan) writes:

    >> I still got a SoftWindows 95 CD, and have it running on an Octane R12k
    >> 300MHz. Runs pretty decent.

    > It's still not Windows98 or 2000 though,

    It's basically just an x86 emulator, not a Windows 95 emulator. I am
    wildly imagining it should be possible to run any x86 OS in it, but
    have no facts or experience to back this up.

    > Depends what the person who posed the original question wants to run,
    > he may be better off getting hold of a cheapy PC.

    Most definitely.

  10. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    Le Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:30:22 +0200, Atro Tossavainen a écrit*:

    > It's basically just an x86 emulator, not a Windows 95 emulator. I am
    > wildly imagining it should be possible to run any x86 OS in it, but
    > have no facts or experience to back this up.

    I suppose the special drivers used by windows running in the emaulator are
    the problem, but AFAIK win95 and win98 drivers are identical, so running
    win98 should definitely be possible.

    --
    Ne pas savoir de quoi on parle est un avantage dont il ne faut pas
    abuser.

  11. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    This is Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler for forever:
    > In article ,
    > Chaos Master wrote:
    >
    > [... emulating windows on IRIX ...]
    >
    > You know, you'd probably be much better off getting a cheap PC with windows, and
    > running rdesktop on your SGI to access windows applications. Same basic
    > experience, but with 5000x the performance.

    This is actually what I will do.
    (I have a 233MHz Pentium with 128MB RAM here... good enough to run what
    I need - Photoshop and PSpice)
    I just need to find a VNC client for IRIX.

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - 29.55° S
    / 51.11° W / GMT-2h / 15m .

    "People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
    I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
    -- Amy Lee

    (My e-mail address isn't read. Please reply to the group!)

  12. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.sgi.misc.]
    On 15 Feb 2005 13:00:28 +0200, Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    > Chaos Master writes:
    >
    >> Is there any hardware/software to do x86 emulation on a SGI machine?

    > SGI used to ship SoftWindows 95 with IRIX. It does. Whether it does
    > a good or a bad job is a completely different matter... but I've seen
    > it work on an Indy in 1996.

    I've tried Windows 3.1 in Softwindows on an old Indy, and it works pretty
    well. All the UNIX drives are mapped to drive letters, so there's complete
    file accesibility. The only problem I ran into was that audio wasn't
    recognized properly.

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
    -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

  13. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    In article ,
    Chaos Master wrote:

    : This is Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler for forever:
    : > In article ,
    : > Chaos Master wrote:
    : >
    : > [... emulating windows on IRIX ...]
    : >
    :
    : This is actually what I will do.
    : (I have a 233MHz Pentium with 128MB RAM here... good enough to run what
    : I need - Photoshop and PSpice)
    : I just need to find a VNC client for IRIX.

    rdesktop works natively with windows' remote desktop
    protocol.

    If VNC is more your style, freeware.sgi.com has the answer:

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  14. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    Chaos Master wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > Is there any hardware/software to do x86 emulation on a SGI machine?
    >
    > I mean, running Windows/Linux/whatever on a window inside the IRIX
    > desktop, like "Virtual PC" on the Macintosh.
    >
    > I think Bochs can compile in IRIX, but Bochs is really slow to do
    > anything better than running MS-DOS. (I want to run Windows 98 or 2000)
    >
    > Thanks!

    You may want to have a look at this ongoing thread about QEmu...

    http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?t=3898

    and don`t forget to post about it if you can grab a running binary!

  15. Re: x86 emulation for SGI?

    This is Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler for forever:

    > rdesktop works natively with windows' remote desktop
    > protocol.

    Windows 98 doesn't have Remote Desktop, AFAIK.

    > If VNC is more your style, freeware.sgi.com has the answer:

    VNC does it! Thanks!

    []s
    --
    Chaos Master®, posting from Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil - 29.55° S
    / 51.11° W / GMT-2h / 15m .

    "People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
    I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
    -- Amy Lee

    (My e-mail address isn't read. Please reply to the group!)

+ Reply to Thread