Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3 - SGI

This is a discussion on Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3 - SGI ; Hello, I wonder if there is a fairly recent internet browser that runs in IRIX5.3. The machine in question is an Indigo R3000 so I guess Mozilla is not the answer. On Netscapes ftp site I have found Communicator 4.08 ...

  1. Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Hello,
    I wonder if there is a fairly recent internet browser that runs
    in IRIX5.3. The machine in question is an Indigo R3000 so
    I guess Mozilla is not the answer.
    On Netscapes ftp site I have found Communicator 4.08 for
    IRIX5.3 but I wonder if there's somethnig newer.
    (Communicator 4.7 seem to be the latest for IRIX6.2)

    If some compilation is required I might manage, but
    binaries are probably better.

    regards
    Bjorn

  2. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Bjorn Ljungdahl writes:
    > I wonder if there is a fairly recent internet browser that runs
    > in IRIX5.3. The machine in question is an Indigo R3000 so
    > I guess Mozilla is not the answer.

    Have you tried dillo? It's supposed to be relatively fast but I did not
    find the time to build it for my R3000.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  3. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    On 2005.02.12 04:01:03, Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I wonder if there is a fairly recent internet browser that runs
    > in IRIX5.3. The machine in question is an Indigo R3000 so
    > I guess Mozilla is not the answer.
    > On Netscapes ftp site I have found Communicator 4.08 for
    > IRIX5.3 but I wonder if there's somethnig newer.
    > (Communicator 4.7 seem to be the latest for IRIX6.2)
    >
    > If some compilation is required I might manage, but
    > binaries are probably better.

    Perhaps lynx or one of the lynx-like text browsers will work.
    Somehow I think that's not what you're looking for.

    --
    garglemonster@my-deja.com

    Is this going to involve RAW human ecstasy?

  4. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > Hello, I wonder if there is a fairly recent internet browser that runs
    > in IRIX5.3. The machine in question is an Indigo R3000 so I guess
    > Mozilla is not the answer. On Netscapes ftp site I have found
    > Communicator 4.08 for IRIX5.3 but I wonder if there's somethnig newer.

    No there isn't something newer. I'm using the same version on
    my Irix5.3 Indy.

    > If some compilation is required I might manage, but binaries are
    > probably better.

    I tried to compiler Mozilla, which succeeded after some work,
    but the resulting binary didn't do anything at all.

    A fast, modern browser to recommend is Dillo (www.dillo.org).
    I like it and I'm using it most of the time. Unfortunately
    it still lacks frames-support and Java script.

    --
    _ Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
    _ // http://devnull.owl.de/~frank/

  5. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    In comp.sys.sgi.admin Frank Wille wrote:

    [....]
    > A fast, modern browser to recommend is Dillo (www.dillo.org).
    > I like it and I'm using it most of the time. Unfortunately
    > it still lacks frames-support and Java script.

    Hm, I tried to compile it on Octane but got 'Unresolved text symbol
    "pthread_cancel"'. Probably one of the few necessary libs is missing I
    think. I'll check it later.

    Toni
    (fup2cssm)
    --
    I am root. If you see me laughing you better have a backup.

  6. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Toni Grass wrote:

    >In comp.sys.sgi.admin Frank Wille wrote:
    >
    >[....]
    >> A fast, modern browser to recommend is Dillo (www.dillo.org).
    >> I like it and I'm using it most of the time. Unfortunately
    >> it still lacks frames-support and Java script.

    >Hm, I tried to compile it on Octane but got 'Unresolved text symbol
    >"pthread_cancel"'. Probably one of the few necessary libs is missing I
    >think. I'll check it later.

    Thank you for your replies. I've downloaded it and tried
    to compile and install it. Unfortunately not very successful.
    It seems I don't get the libraries linked correctly.
    The compile works fairly well, I get some warnings about
    the pthread but it goes through. After installation I get
    fatal error, cannot map ... jpeg. I disable jpeg to se what
    happens and I get fatal error, cannot map png etc.
    I haven't found an OpenSSL for 5.3 either, but the
    configure just disables that and continues.

    I'm not very good at compiling so I don't know what to
    try next. It's pretty much configure, make, make install
    out of the box. If you have any more hints that would
    be nice.

    Software used IRIX5.3XFS, IDO5.3, gcc 2.95.3,
    gmake 3.79.1, glib-1.2.10, gtk+-1.2.10, jpeg-6b,
    libpng-1.2.5, pth-1.4.1, wget-1.9
    Libraries gotten from precompiled 5.3 freeware and
    placed in /usr/local/lib (which is added to path).

    /Bjorn

  7. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Toni Grass wrote:

    > In comp.sys.sgi.admin Frank Wille wrote:
    > [....]
    > > A fast, modern browser to recommend is Dillo (www.dillo.org). I like it
    > > and I'm using it most of the time. Unfortunately it still lacks
    > > frames-support and Java script.

    > Hm, I tried to compile it on Octane but got 'Unresolved text symbol
    > "pthread_cancel"'. Probably one of the few necessary libs is missing I
    > think. I'll check it later.

    I have pth-2.0.2 installed for pthreads. Maybe build this
    first before running configure?

    And don't forget to comment "#define G_DNS_THREADED" in dns.c.
    Otherwise the system will hang because gethostbyname() is not
    thread-safe. :|

    --
    _ Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
    _ // http://devnull.owl.de/~frank/
    \X/ Phx @ #AmigaGer

  8. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Frank Wille wrote:
    > Toni Grass wrote:

    [dillo]
    > > Hm, I tried to compile it on Octane but got 'Unresolved text symbol
    > > "pthread_cancel"'. Probably one of the few necessary libs is missing I
    > > think. I'll check it later.

    > I have pth-2.0.2 installed for pthreads. Maybe build this
    > first before running configure?

    I'll give it another try next days

    > And don't forget to comment "#define G_DNS_THREADED" in dns.c.
    > Otherwise the system will hang because gethostbyname() is not
    > thread-safe. :|

    THX for the hints

    Toni
    --
    I am root. If you see me laughing you better have a backup.

  9. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > >[..Dillo..]

    > Thank you for your replies. I've downloaded it and tried to compile and
    > install it. Unfortunately not very successful. It seems I don't get the
    > libraries linked correctly. The compile works fairly well, I get some
    > warnings about the pthread but it goes through. After installation I get
    > fatal error, cannot map ... jpeg. I disable jpeg to se what happens and
    > I get fatal error, cannot map png etc.

    Did you built dynamic shared objects or static libraries?
    Do the jpg-/png-libraries work with other programs? I have built
    jpeg amd zlib statically. Maybe this helps?

    > I haven't found an OpenSSL for 5.3 either, but the configure just
    > disables that and continues.

    SSL is not required for Dillo to work. In case you want it: just
    download openssl-0.9.7e from http://www.openssl.org/.

    > I'm not very good at compiling so I don't know what to try next. It's
    > pretty much configure, make, make install out of the box. If you have
    > any more hints that would be nice.

    It should install out of the box, yes. But see my notes about
    dns.c in the other posting.

    > Software used IRIX5.3XFS,

    How do I get XFS for Irix5.3?

    > IDO5.3,

    Same here.

    > gcc 2.95.3,

    Same here, using Irix-ld.

    > gmake 3.79.1,

    gmake 3.80. But 3.79 should do as well.

    > glib-1.2.10, gtk+-1.2.10, jpeg-6b, libpng-1.2.5,

    Same here.

    > pth-1.4.1,

    You should try a newer release. Nothing before pth-2.0.2.
    (pth-2.0.1 doesn't work at all, BTW)

    Maybe another note, before everybody is disappointed: Dillo is
    certainly not the solution to all your browser problems at the
    moment. It's a nice project and I hope it will be a usable
    browser in the future, but at the moment it is not. Without
    Java Script and Frames you might have more problems as with
    Netscape 4.08, and with my Dillo-version I can't even download
    files...

    But it's fast!

    --
    _ Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
    _ // http://devnull.owl.de/~frank/
    \X/ Phx @ #AmigaGer

  10. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    "Frank Wille" writes:

    > > Software used IRIX5.3XFS,

    > How do I get XFS for Irix5.3?

    It was a separate distribution.

  11. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    "Frank Wille" wrote:

    >Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    >> >[..Dillo..]

    >> Thank you for your replies. I've downloaded it and tried to compile and
    >> install it. Unfortunately not very successful. It seems I don't get the
    >> libraries linked correctly. The compile works fairly well, I get some
    >> warnings about the pthread but it goes through. After installation I get
    >> fatal error, cannot map ... jpeg. I disable jpeg to se what happens and
    >> I get fatal error, cannot map png etc.

    >Did you built dynamic shared objects or static libraries?
    >Do the jpg-/png-libraries work with other programs? I have built
    >jpeg amd zlib statically. Maybe this helps?

    I think you are right, but I'm not sure if they are static since
    I downloaded finished binaries for from http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/.
    Is there anyway I can check the files? Maybe I should rebuild them
    to be sure although I'm not so sure how to. Is it --enable-static=on
    or something? I really need to read a book about compiling :-)

    >> I haven't found an OpenSSL for 5.3 either, but the configure just
    >> disables that and continues.

    >SSL is not required for Dillo to work. In case you want it: just
    >download openssl-0.9.7e from http://www.openssl.org/.

    I have downloaded lastest version and will try to implement it

    >> I'm not very good at compiling so I don't know what to try next. It's
    >> pretty much configure, make, make install out of the box. If you have
    >> any more hints that would be nice.

    >It should install out of the box, yes. But see my notes about
    >dns.c in the other posting.
    >

    >> Software used IRIX5.3XFS,

    >> pth-1.4.1,

    >You should try a newer release. Nothing before pth-2.0.2.
    >(pth-2.0.1 doesn't work at all, BTW)

    I'm working with pth-2.0.3 now to see if I can get further.

    >Maybe another note, before everybody is disappointed: Dillo is
    >certainly not the solution to all your browser problems at the
    >moment. It's a nice project and I hope it will be a usable
    >browser in the future, but at the moment it is not. Without
    >Java Script and Frames you might have more problems as with
    >Netscape 4.08, and with my Dillo-version I can't even download
    >files...
    >
    >But it's fast!

  12. Re: Need recommendation of fairly new internet browser for IRIX5.3

    In article ,
    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    >>> Thank you for your replies. I've downloaded it and tried to compile and
    >>> install it. Unfortunately not very successful. It seems I don't get the
    >>> libraries linked correctly. The compile works fairly well, I get some
    >>> warnings about the pthread but it goes through. After installation I get
    >>> fatal error, cannot map ... jpeg. I disable jpeg to se what happens and
    >>> I get fatal error, cannot map png etc.

    >>Did you built dynamic shared objects or static libraries?
    >>Do the jpg-/png-libraries work with other programs? I have built
    >>jpeg amd zlib statically. Maybe this helps?
    >>

    >I think you are right, but I'm not sure if they are static since
    >I downloaded finished binaries for from http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/.
    >Is there anyway I can check the files? Maybe I should rebuild them
    >to be sure although I'm not so sure how to. Is it --enable-static=on
    >or something? I really need to read a book about compiling :-)

    Here are a couple clues.
    Assuming normal file naming :-)

    A static library xxx would be named
    libxxx.a
    and
    file libxxx.a
    will say it is an ar archive.

    A DSO (shared library, Dynamic Shared Object) would be named
    libxxx.so
    and
    file libxxx.so
    will say it is a 'dynamic lib'.

    To determine what shared libraries an executable uses do
    (say the executable is named 'a.out')
    ldd a.out
    That ldd command works on DSOs too.

    Regards,