Connect SGI machine to Internet via ADSL using PPP over Ethernet? - SGI

This is a discussion on Connect SGI machine to Internet via ADSL using PPP over Ethernet? - SGI ; Hello people. I want to connect SGI machine to ADSL connection from local phone company. The service uses PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet). Question: is there any way to use PPPoE with IRIX? My machine has IRIX 6.5, it's an SGI ...

  1. Connect SGI machine to Internet via ADSL using PPP over Ethernet?

    Hello people.

    I want to connect SGI machine to ADSL connection from local phone company.
    The service uses PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).

    Question: is there any way to use PPPoE with IRIX?

    My machine has IRIX 6.5, it's an SGI Indigo and already has network card.

    Thank you, Renan "Fallen".

  2. Re: Connect SGI machine to Internet via ADSL using PPP over Ethernet?

    Renan Fallen wrote:
    > Hello people.
    >
    > I want to connect SGI machine to ADSL connection from local phone company.
    > The service uses PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).
    >
    > Question: is there any way to use PPPoE with IRIX?
    >
    > My machine has IRIX 6.5, it's an SGI Indigo and already has network card.
    >
    > Thank you, Renan "Fallen".

    any cheap linksys dsl router will accomplish this as well as give basic
    firewall protection.

    cheers.

  3. Re: Connect SGI machine to Internet via ADSL using PPP over Ethernet?

    writes:

    >Renan Fallen wrote:
    >> Hello people.
    >>
    >> I want to connect SGI machine to ADSL connection from local phone company.
    >> The service uses PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet).
    >>
    >> Question: is there any way to use PPPoE with IRIX?
    >>
    >> My machine has IRIX 6.5, it's an SGI Indigo and already has network card.
    >>
    >> Thank you, Renan "Fallen".

    >any cheap linksys dsl router will accomplish this as well as give basic
    >firewall protection.

    And I would think that this would be safer as well given that Irix 'out of
    the box' is not fully secured.

    IIRC a gentleman by the name of David Evans did have a PPPoE package for
    Irix, I read it here on comp.sys.sgi.xxx.

    Cheers
    barefoot

  4. Re: Connect SGI machine to Internet via ADSL using PPP over Ethernet?

    In article ,
    barefoot wrote:
    > writes:
    >
    >>any cheap linksys dsl router will accomplish this as well as give basic
    >>firewall protection.

    >And I would think that this would be safer as well given that Irix 'out of
    >the box' is not fully secured.

    That's certainly the approach I would take.

    >IIRC a gentleman by the name of David Evans did have a PPPoE package for
    >Irix, I read it here on comp.sys.sgi.xxx.

    Don't use my software for anything remotely important! While I made
    it work a little bit, it's not reliable by any means. Info
    here:

    http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/pppoe_irix.html

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca