The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:42:32 +0200
>From: Alexis Cousein
>Subject: Re: Another one bites the dust
>To: info-iris-misc@ARL.ARMY.MIL

>Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

>> Hamei thinks that just because SGI added code to their linux kernel, that it
>> instantly has to appear in linus' kernel too or they'd be breaking the GPL.
>> (which is incorrect)

>No, that's correct. If it's part of the kernel then it is GPL (see oss.sgi.com).

If it is in the GPLed kernel source and has been released,
than it is open-source, according to my understanding
of the GPL. Just because some source is open-source is
not an automatic reason for Linus Torvalds to select it
for inclusion in the Linux kernel.

In that sense, Hamei is incorrect.
The GPL is about choices, inncluding for Linus Torvalds.

[SNIP]

>Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
>alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels
>
>If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)