CDROM - mount/inst. prob - SGI

This is a discussion on CDROM - mount/inst. prob - SGI ; Octane : O/S 6.5-16 - installing CDROM, do I have to set descriptors in /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab for mounting. I don't recall doing that for other machines, and even an other octane. But I can't get the CDROM to mount ...

  1. CDROM - mount/inst. prob

    Octane : O/S 6.5-16 - installing CDROM, do I have to set descriptors in
    /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab for mounting. I don't recall doing that for
    other machines, and even an other octane. But I can't get the CDROM to
    mount even though it was mounted previously. I've brought the system
    down, power cycle the device(s) to no avail, then wondered if they lost
    the mounting info.
    -- Adam --

  2. Re: CDROM - mount/inst. prob

    Adam Smith wrote:
    > Octane : O/S 6.5-16 - installing CDROM, do I have to set descriptors in
    > /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab for mounting. I don't recall doing that for
    > other machines, and even an other octane. But I can't get the CDROM to
    > mount even though it was mounted previously. I've brought the system
    > down, power cycle the device(s) to no avail, then wondered if they lost
    > the mounting info.
    > -- Adam --

    no need to do such thing... if the drive is attached correctly,
    i. e. the right jumpers set (block size? LUN? Parity? TRMPWR?)
    it will show up on your desktop automatically - otherwise there´s
    something wrong with it.

  3. Re: CDROM - mount/inst. prob

    For all intent and purposes it is set up properly, the icon is on the
    desktop, it appears in the hinv listing etc. and was working until qite
    recently, hours or days at the most. With disc loaded it ==> I/O Error;
    same in Confidence Test as well.

    Walther wrote:
    > Adam Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Octane : O/S 6.5-16 - installing CDROM, do I have to set descriptors in
    >> /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab for mounting. I don't recall doing that for
    >> other machines, and even an other octane. But I can't get the CDROM to
    >> mount even though it was mounted previously. I've brought the system
    >> down, power cycle the device(s) to no avail, then wondered if they lost
    >> the mounting info.
    >> -- Adam --
    >>

    > no need to do such thing... if the drive is attached correctly,
    > i. e. the right jumpers set (block size? LUN? Parity? TRMPWR?)
    > it will show up on your desktop automatically - otherwise there´s
    > something wrong with it.

  4. Re: CDROM - mount/inst. prob

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:47:17 -0700, Adam Smith wrote:

    > Octane : O/S 6.5-16 - installing CDROM, do I have to set descriptors in
    > /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab for mounting. I don't recall doing that for
    > other machines, and even an other octane. But I can't get the CDROM to
    > mount even though it was mounted previously. I've brought the system
    > down, power cycle the device(s) to no avail, then wondered if they lost
    > the mounting info.
    > -- Adam --

    If at all possible, try another scsi cable.