Re: Another one bites the dust - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Another one bites the dust - SGI ; On 2004-08-30 02:46:29 +1000, Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler said: > I call you a fanboy because you refuse to believe that Linux could ever > be made to surpass IRIX. If Porsche bought out Yugo, stripped the car > down to ...

  1. Re: Another one bites the dust

    On 2004-08-30 02:46:29 +1000, Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler said:

    > I call you a fanboy because you refuse to believe that Linux could ever
    > be made to surpass IRIX. If Porsche bought out Yugo, stripped the car
    > down to it's nameplates and VIN panel, then built a Carrera GT under
    > it, a fanboy would spit at it and say "Yugo is trash!" but any sensible
    > person would be able to see it's a porsche with Yugo nameplates.

    Oddly enough, the same problem afflicted Porsche when they
    subcontracted to Audi to build the 94x series. They're often called
    "poor-man's Porsches", even though the design and construction
    methodology was all Porsche.

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    ATMOS Software Productions Pty Ltd

  2. Re: Another one bites the dust

    Dafydd Williams writes:

    >On 2004-08-30 02:46:29 +1000, Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler said:

    >> I call you a fanboy because you refuse to believe that Linux could ever
    >> be made to surpass IRIX. If Porsche bought out Yugo, stripped the car
    >> down to it's nameplates and VIN panel, then built a Carrera GT under
    >> it, a fanboy would spit at it and say "Yugo is trash!" but any sensible
    >> person would be able to see it's a porsche with Yugo nameplates.

    >Oddly enough, the same problem afflicted Porsche when they
    >subcontracted to Audi to build the 94x series. They're often called
    >"poor-man's Porsches", even though the design and construction
    >methodology was all Porsche.

    Just an observation but doesn't SGI engineers have a thing for Lotuses?
    e.g. 'Elan' gfx, the 'Esprit' in the town demo.

    Cheers
    barefoot

  3. Re: Another one bites the dust

    On 2004-08-30 13:48:21 +1000, barefoot said:

    >> Oddly enough, the same problem afflicted Porsche when they
    >> subcontracted to Audi to build the 94x series. They're often called
    >> "poor-man's Porsches", even though the design and construction
    >> methodology was all Porsche.

    > Just an observation but doesn't SGI engineers have a thing for Lotuses?
    > e.g. 'Elan' gfx, the 'Esprit' in the town demo.

    A bit off-topic, but yes. I've noticed that. I've not heard of Lotus
    models called "Madigras" or "Crime", though.

    best always,

    Dave @ ATMOS

    --
    Dafydd Williams
    ATMOS Software Productions Pty Ltd
    pipeline-at-atmos-dot-com-dot-au

  4. Re: Another one bites the dust

    In article <4132ac83$0$22823$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    Dafydd Williams wrote:
    >On 2004-08-30 13:48:21 +1000, barefoot said:
    >
    >>> Oddly enough, the same problem afflicted Porsche when they
    >>> subcontracted to Audi to build the 94x series. They're often called
    >>> "poor-man's Porsches", even though the design and construction
    >>> methodology was all Porsche.

    >> Just an observation but doesn't SGI engineers have a thing for Lotuses?
    >> e.g. 'Elan' gfx, the 'Esprit' in the town demo.

    >A bit off-topic, but yes. I've noticed that. I've not heard of Lotus
    >models called "Madigras" or "Crime", though.

    Back in the early 90's Ed McCracken, CEO, owned two Lotuses:
    an Esprit and a 1991 M100 Elan. (He traded in the Esprit for a
    later one at one point). The Elan was really for his wife (later
    divorced ...).

    Curt Akeley, graphics wizard (and sgi founder) owned a 1994 or
    1995 (I think) Esprit S4s.

    I owned a 79 Esprit back then, but I guarantee you mine did not
    factor into any product naming :-), though Ed knew I owned one,
    as he came to two Golden Gate Lotus Club events with his
    Esprit: one a track day at Sears Point (now Infineon)
    Raceway (at which track day he spun out at high
    speed once and, I assume, thoroughly scared himself).

    One other then-SGI person owns (then and now) a Lotus
    (a 1970 Europa). Never named any products after *old* Lotus
    cars, that I know of :-) [Not naming this person, but He's
    still active on the lotuseuropa list on yahoo... ]

    AFAIK those 4 people are the only connections from SGI to Lotus.
    Two of the people mattered in product naming :-)
    Of the 4, only I am still working for SGI.

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea

  5. Re: Another one bites the dust

    davea@quasar.engr.sgi.com (David Anderson) writes:

    >Back in the early 90's Ed McCracken, CEO, owned two Lotuses:
    >an Esprit and a 1991 M100 Elan. (He traded in the Esprit for a
    >later one at one point). The Elan was really for his wife (later
    >divorced ...).

    Hope he got the car back :-).

    >Curt Akeley, graphics wizard (and sgi founder) owned a 1994 or
    >1995 (I think) Esprit S4s.

    Just noticed someone else's post that he is leaving the company.

    >I owned a 79 Esprit back then, but I guarantee you mine did not
    >factor into any product naming :-), though Ed knew I owned one,

    What about the styling of the Tezro, very 340R and Exige, lots of curves
    and circular holes [wiping off drool :-)]

    >as he came to two Golden Gate Lotus Club events with his
    >Esprit: one a track day at Sears Point (now Infineon)
    >Raceway (at which track day he spun out at high
    >speed once and, I assume, thoroughly scared himself).

    Ah, a motor head... hence the 'Fuel' and 'Octane' then ...

    >One other then-SGI person owns (then and now) a Lotus
    >(a 1970 Europa). Never named any products after *old* Lotus
    >cars, that I know of :-) [Not naming this person, but He's
    >still active on the lotuseuropa list on yahoo... ]

    >AFAIK those 4 people are the only connections from SGI to Lotus.
    >Two of the people mattered in product naming :-)
    >Of the 4, only I am still working for SGI.

    May all fast and agile things go forth and conquor.

    Cheers
    barefoot
    PS sorry for to others for taking this OT.

  6. Re: Another one bites the dust

    Dafydd Williams wrote:
    > On 2004-08-30 13:48:21 +1000, barefoot said:
    >
    >> Just an observation but doesn't SGI engineers have a thing for
    >> Lotuses ? e.g. 'Elan' gfx, the 'Esprit' in the town demo.

    > A bit off-topic, but yes. I've noticed that. I've not heard of Lotus
    > models called "Madigras" or "Crime", though.

    One of them did, at least. He has a web page with photos of his
    Lotus somewhere. Or perhaps he picked up the Lotus hobby after
    getting used to the names at work :-)

  7. Re: Another one bites the dust

    barefoot said..
    >davea@quasar.engr.sgi.com (David Anderson) writes:
    >>Back in the early 90's Ed McCracken, CEO, owned two Lotuses:
    >>an Esprit and a 1991 M100 Elan. (He traded in the Esprit for a
    >>later one at one point). The Elan was really for his wife (later
    >>divorced ...).

    More notes: Ed's lotus was silver. The original esprit model in the
    Performer town was Ed's silver one. He put it up for sale in the
    early 90's, don't know what ever happened to it.

    >>Curt Akeley, graphics wizard (and sgi founder) owned a 1994 or
    >>1995 (I think) Esprit S4s.

    (Kurt, actually). Kurt's lotus was candy red, and had a license
    plate that said "OpenGL". That's still the esprit model in the
    Performer Town. Kurt sold the car recently though.

    Trivia: who else at SGI has a prominent "OpenGL" on their car?
    What is the car? No answers from Alexis ;-)

    >Just noticed someone else's post that he is leaving the company.

    I saw that post too. The poster was in a time warp. Kurt
    left 4 or 5 years ago.

    Allan
    --
    Allan Schaffer allan@sgi.com