Text Consoles? - SGI

This is a discussion on Text Consoles? - SGI ; On some Unix machines one can flip out of the X display into a character based console login by pressing a Ctrl-Alt-function key combination or some variation thereof. Is there a way to accomplish this on an Irix 6.5 Indigo2 ...

  1. Text Consoles?

    On some Unix machines one can flip out of the X display into a
    character based console login by pressing a Ctrl-Alt-function key
    combination or some variation thereof.

    Is there a way to accomplish this on an Irix 6.5 Indigo2 system?

    Best,

    --
    Bob Bernstein

  2. Re: Text Consoles?

    In article ,
    Robert Bernstein wrote:

    : On some Unix machines one can flip out of the X display into a
    : character based console login by pressing a Ctrl-Alt-function key
    : combination or some variation thereof.
    :
    : Is there a way to accomplish this on an Irix 6.5 Indigo2 system?

    left-control left-shift F12 KP/ should do it. Pretty hard to hit that by
    accident.

    XDM will probably restart the Xsgi X server for you, though. You're probably
    better off doing a "killall xdm".

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: Text Consoles?

    In article , Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler writes:
    > In article ,
    > Robert Bernstein wrote:
    >
    > : On some Unix machines one can flip out of the X display into a
    > : character based console login by pressing a Ctrl-Alt-function key
    > : combination or some variation thereof.
    > :
    > : Is there a way to accomplish this on an Irix 6.5 Indigo2 system?
    >
    > left-control left-shift F12 KP/ should do it. Pretty hard to hit that by
    > accident.
    >
    > XDM will probably restart the Xsgi X server for you, though. You're probably
    > better off doing a "killall xdm".

    I haven't used that in quite some time, but isn't /usr/gfx/stopgfx (or
    something similar what the OP is looking for? This command essentially
    kills the current X session and the Xsgi server, and drops you back to the
    framebuffer console you can see e.g. during the boot process.

    Akos Balazs

  4. Re: Text Consoles?

    Akos Balazs wrote:

    > In article , Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler writes:
    > > In article ,
    > > Robert Bernstein wrote:
    > >
    > > : On some Unix machines one can flip out of the X display into a
    > > : character based console login by pressing a Ctrl-Alt-function key
    > > : combination or some variation thereof.
    > > :
    > > : Is there a way to accomplish this on an Irix 6.5 Indigo2 system?
    > >
    > > left-control left-shift F12 KP/ should do it. Pretty hard to hit that by
    > > accident.
    > >
    > > XDM will probably restart the Xsgi X server for you, though. You're probably
    > > better off doing a "killall xdm".

    > I haven't used that in quite some time, but isn't /usr/gfx/stopgfx (or
    > something similar what the OP is looking for? This command essentially
    > kills the current X session and the Xsgi server, and drops you back to the
    > framebuffer console you can see e.g. during the boot process.
    >
    > Akos Balazs

    the op used 'flip out' which usually implies 'flipping back in' all these methods
    do not achieve this. so essentially the answer is no.

+ Reply to Thread