[OT] my comp.sys.sgi.* retirement - SGI

This is a discussion on [OT] my comp.sys.sgi.* retirement - SGI ; My position at NRC IBD is undergoing a restructuring, in an attempt to reduce my [unhealthily heavy] workload. [There are also concerns about the ability to effectively supervise my very diverse work.] My highest priorities have been set as Security ...

  1. [OT] my comp.sys.sgi.* retirement

    My position at NRC IBD is undergoing a restructuring, in an attempt
    to reduce my [unhealthily heavy] workload. [There are also concerns
    about the ability to effectively supervise my very diverse work.]

    My highest priorities have been set as Security and Networking,
    [which *has* been the bulk of my work lately], and lower priority tasks
    are to "fall off my plate" if need be. We are not sure how it is all
    going to work out in practice.

    To date, there has been only one specific time-reduction directive:
    that I am, for the purposes of my job, to get out of the SGI-related
    newsgroups entirely.

    Unless something changes or gets re-prioritized, this will be my
    last comp.sys.sgi.* posting from my work, and I will no longer be
    accepting SGI-related questions / comments / whatever at my work email
    address [except from my co-workers!]

    I will not disappear entirely: at some point I will find a
    reliable nntp server and will likely resubscribe to the groups
    under a personal email address, reading them only from home in
    my off-hours.

    I have learned a lot from these newsgroups, and I've interacted with
    a large number of talented and skilled people. Good-bye to you
    all in my professional capacity! It's been a good ride.

    I do not have the new accounts and feeds arranged quite yet. Until
    then, I can be reached at roberson@hushmail.com.

    Walter Roberson
    --
    Can a statement be self-referential without knowing it?

  2. Re: [OT] my comp.sys.sgi.* retirement

    Le Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:07:12 +0000, Walter Roberson a écrit*:

    > I will not disappear entirely: at some point I will find a
    > reliable nntp server and will likely resubscribe to the groups
    > under a personal email address, reading them only from home in
    > my off-hours.

    Be quick, we'll miss you

    --
    Il y a toujours un bug de plus.
    Loi de Lubarsky.

  3. Re: [OT] my comp.sys.sgi.* retirement

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > To date, there has been only one specific time-reduction directive:
    > that I am, for the purposes of my job, to get out of the SGI-related
    > newsgroups entirely.

    You'll be missed. I, for one, have found a lot of useful and
    interesting things in your posts over the last several years.

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

  4. Re: [OT] my comp.sys.sgi.* retirement

    Pete Turnbull wrote:
    > You'll be missed. I, for one, have found a lot of useful and
    > interesting things in your posts over the last several years.

    Ditto and likewise! WIth any luck, pollution and global warming
    will thicken the atmosphere, slow the planet's spin, give more
    hours in a day and thus give you some spare time in which to
    return. 8)

    All the best!

    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread