stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try) - SGI

This is a discussion on stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try) - SGI ; I'm trying to compile midnight commander (4.6.0) on a 6.5.20f Irix Indigo. Configure fails like this: checking stropts.h usability... no checking stropts.h presence... yes configure: WARNING: stropts.h: present but cannot be compiled configure: WARNING: stropts.h: check for missing prerequisite headers? ...

  1. stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try)

    I'm trying to compile midnight commander (4.6.0) on a 6.5.20f Irix
    Indigo. Configure fails like this:

    checking stropts.h usability... no
    checking stropts.h presence... yes
    configure: WARNING: stropts.h: present but cannot be compiled
    configure: WARNING: stropts.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    configure: WARNING: stropts.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ##
    configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    checking for stropts.h... yes

    Then make fails like this:

    In file included from /usr/include/stropts.h:38,
    from subshell.c:49:
    /usr/include/sys/stropts.h:237: parse error before "t_uscalar_t"
    /usr/include/sys/stropts.h:261: parse error before "t_uscalar_t"
    /usr/include/sys/stropts.h:267: parse error before '}' token
    subshell.c: In function `init_subshell':
    subshell.c:403: warning: int format, pid_t arg (arg 5)
    gmake[2]: *** [subshell.o] Error 1

    Thoughts, anyone?

    --
    Bob Bernstein

    "...the language of the wind that brings a thaw: it
    contains high spirits, unrest, contradiction, and April
    weather..."

    Nietzsche, The Gay Science

  2. Re: stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try)

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Bob Bernstein wrote:

    > I'm trying to compile midnight commander (4.6.0) on a 6.5.20f Irix
    > Indigo. Configure fails like this:
    >
    > checking stropts.h usability... no
    > checking stropts.h presence... yes
    > configure: WARNING: stropts.h: present but cannot be compiled
    > configure: WARNING: stropts.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
    > configure: WARNING: stropts.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
    > configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    > configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ##
    > configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
    > checking for stropts.h... yes
    >
    > Then make fails like this:
    >
    > In file included from /usr/include/stropts.h:38,
    > from subshell.c:49:
    > /usr/include/sys/stropts.h:237: parse error before "t_uscalar_t"
    > /usr/include/sys/stropts.h:261: parse error before "t_uscalar_t"
    > /usr/include/sys/stropts.h:267: parse error before '}' token
    > subshell.c: In function `init_subshell':
    > subshell.c:403: warning: int format, pid_t arg (arg 5)
    > gmake[2]: *** [subshell.o] Error 1
    >

    > Thoughts, anyone?

    config.log should give you the exact source of the failed program.
    You may need to supply some compiler flags and/or include another
    header file. The errors are associated with blocks of the form:

    #if _XOPEN5
    t_uscalar_t flags;
    #else

    Did you mean to have _XOPEN5 set?

    --
    George N. White III
    Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada

  3. Re: stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try)

    George N. White III wrote:

    > #if _XOPEN5
    > t_uscalar_t flags;
    > #else

    > Did you mean to have _XOPEN5 set?

    It's not part of any deliberations I've made! Nor is it mentioned
    anywhere in mc's source. Nears I can tell it's dragged in by some
    Irix include or other.

    The workaround has been to configure mc with --without-subshell,
    which I can live with.

    Best,

    --
    Bob Bernstein

    "...the language of the wind that brings a thaw: it
    contains high spirits, unrest, contradiction, and April
    weather..."

    Nietzsche, The Gay Science

  4. Re: stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try)

    Bob Bernstein wrote in message news:...
    > George N. White III wrote:
    >
    > > #if _XOPEN5
    > > t_uscalar_t flags;
    > > #else

    > > Did you mean to have _XOPEN5 set?

    Did you use gcc? If yes, have you done an IRIX upgrade after gcc was
    installed? I met this same problem before. I later learned that
    after an IRIX upgrade, it is needed to re-install fw_gcc again to fix header
    files (or are there other ways to fix them?)

    > It's not part of any deliberations I've made! Nor is it mentioned
    > anywhere in mc's source. Nears I can tell it's dragged in by some
    > Irix include or other.

    [snip]

    --
    "Jeremy" Yu Meng
    ICS-UCI

  5. Re: stropts.h + mc = ? (2nd Try)

    Jeremy Yu Meng wrote:

    > Did you use gcc? If yes, have you done an IRIX upgrade after gcc was
    > installed?

    Affirmative * 2.

    > I met this same problem before. I later learned that after an
    > IRIX upgrade, it is needed to re-install fw_gcc again to fix
    > header files...

    Ah...that sounds very worthy of investigation.

    Thanks,

    --
    Bob Bernstein

    "...the language of the wind that brings a thaw: it
    contains high spirits, unrest, contradiction, and April
    weather..."

    Nietzsche, The Gay Science

+ Reply to Thread