The winner of the Onyx 4 competition? - SGI

This is a discussion on The winner of the Onyx 4 competition? - SGI ; Is this the person that won the Onyx 4 competition? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712308392&rd=1 What was his submission? Is it on SGI's site anywhere? Cheers barefoot...

  1. The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    Is this the person that won the Onyx 4 competition?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712308392&rd=1

    What was his submission? Is it on SGI's site anywhere?

    Cheers
    barefoot

  2. Re: The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    barefoot wrote:

    > Is this the person that won the Onyx 4 competition?
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712308392&rd=1

    No -- the winner was a Belgian company.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  3. Re: The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    Alexis Cousein wrote:
    > barefoot wrote:
    >
    >> Is this the person that won the Onyx 4 competition?
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712308392&rd=1

    It looks if they are selling a $30,000.00 manual.

    > No -- the winner was a Belgian company.

    Huh? I thought it was US/Canada only?

    Erik

  4. Re: The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    Erik Hofman writes:

    >Alexis Cousein wrote:
    >> barefoot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is this the person that won the Onyx 4 competition?
    >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...712308392&rd=1

    >It looks if they are selling a $30,000.00 manual.

    Scroll down and there is something resembling a rackmount computer and
    various accessories.

    >> No -- the winner was a Belgian company.

    Alexis,
    That's your neck of the woods isn't it, is there screenshots of what he
    did on the local site?

    Cheers
    barefoot

    >Huh? I thought it was US/Canada only?

    >Erik

  5. Re: The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    Erik Hofman wrote:
    >> No -- the winner was a Belgian company.
    >>

    > Huh? I thought it was US/Canada only?

    Then we may be talking about another competition.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  6. Re: The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    barefoot wrote:

    > Alexis,
    > That's your neck of the woods isn't it, is there screenshots of what he
    > did on the local site?

    Not sure whether we're all talking about the same competition, but VRContext
    won an Onyx4 with a demo of a pirate ship using a stripped down WalkInside -
    complete with weather effects (including raindrop impacts on the sea) and
    shadows cast in real time by boat parts on the boat itself.

    It's kewl -- you can change the time of day and weather and walk in the ship.

    The actual application is used to travel through *huge* models - the largest
    model I saw was a 200M poly database. And they're doing very intelligent
    management of verterx array objects in GPU memory to achieve very high
    poly rates.

    --
    Alexis Cousein Senior Systems Engineer
    alexis@sgi.com SGI/Silicon Graphics Brussels

    If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals.

  7. Re: The winner of the Onyx 4 competition?

    Alexis Cousein writes:

    >Not sure whether we're all talking about the same competition, but VRContext

    I remember reading about a comp where first prize was an Onyx4 while
    runner up was an ATI gfx card for PC.

    >won an Onyx4 with a demo of a pirate ship using a stripped down WalkInside -
    >complete with weather effects (including raindrop impacts on the sea) and
    >shadows cast in real time by boat parts on the boat itself.
    >It's kewl -- you can change the time of day and weather and walk in the ship.

    I certainly sound 'kewl', I hope it makes it into a demo sometime in the
    future (for those rainy days when I have $100k lying around and don't know
    what to do with it :-)).

    Cheers
    barefoot

    >The actual application is used to travel through *huge* models - the largest
    >model I saw was a 200M poly database. And they're doing very intelligent
    >management of verterx array objects in GPU memory to achieve very high
    >poly rates.

+ Reply to Thread