Power Challenge L - SGI

This is a discussion on Power Challenge L - SGI ; I have a couple of questions.. First, is there a way to get a 10/100 network into a power challenge box? 2nd.. I have some more RAM I want to put in.. when I do, it sits at "Checking Inventory". ...

  1. Power Challenge L

    I have a couple of questions..

    First, is there a way to get a 10/100 network into a power challenge box?

    2nd..

    I have some more RAM I want to put in.. when I do, it sits at "Checking Inventory".
    I've read it's expecting me to hit a key or something..

    Can someone clear this up?

    Thanks
    Mike

  2. Re: Power Challenge L

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Mike Dailly wrote:

    > I have a couple of questions..
    >
    > First, is there a way to get a 10/100 network into a power challenge box?

    There are VME cards you can get that will give you 100BaseT networking on
    a Challenge. I believe they're limited to half-duplex only, and never
    operated very well - these machines were designed before the 100BaseT
    standard was finalised, adding 100BaseT was going to be a kludge at best.

    The cards pop up from time to time on eBay, but you may be better off with
    FDDI if you want 100Mbps networking.

    > 2nd..
    >
    > I have some more RAM I want to put in.. when I do, it sits at "Checking Inventory".
    > I've read it's expecting me to hit a key or something..

    Perhaps some mis-seated RAM is causing the PROM to fail the self-tests? if
    the amount of memory installed changes, the console will tell you what
    memory you added into which bank (and you'll need to 'update' the PROM
    from the command monitor).

    These machines don't take that long to check their memory - I have an Onyx
    deskside that has 1.5GB memory and a Challenge L with 1GB, both machines
    take seconds to check their memory.

    Ian just posted a set of diagnostic information for the Challenge/Onyx
    line here:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/chalonyxdiag/

    it may prove useful.

    --
    Steven Harrison

    0 OK, 0:1

  3. Re: Power Challenge L

    >There are VME cards you can get that will give you 100BaseT networking on
    >a Challenge. I believe they're limited to half-duplex only, and never
    >operated very well - these machines were designed before the 100BaseT
    >standard was finalised, adding 100BaseT was going to be a kludge at best.

    okay.... it'll be better then the 10Mbit thats there just now at least...

    >The cards pop up from time to time on eBay, but you may be better off with
    >FDDI if you want 100Mbps networking.

    Mmm... I need it to talk to a PC, so I would need to buy an FDDI <-> 100Mb network router or something. I suspect the 10/100 interface would be cheaper
    Out of interest... do you know how much FDDI to 10/100 ports are?

    >Perhaps some mis-seated RAM is causing the PROM to fail the self-tests? if
    >the amount of memory installed changes, the console will tell you what
    >memory you added into which bank (and you'll need to 'update' the PROM
    >from the command monitor).

    Is the command monitor via the serial port? Ive only ever connected via the network... i.e. once the machine is up and running.

    >These machines don't take that long to check their memory - I have an Onyx
    >deskside that has 1.5GB memory and a Challenge L with 1GB, both machines
    >take seconds to check their memory.

    I thought so... can it mix and match modules?
    I have 512Mb in there just now, (8 chips, 64mb each), and I want to add 8 more, but 16mb each.
    I also have 4 more 64mb ones comming...?

    Do you have to add 8 each time? Or can you add in 1's or 2's?

    >Ian just posted a set of diagnostic information for the Challenge/Onyx
    >line here:
    >http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/chalonyxdiag/
    >it may prove useful.

    Oh.. and a small thing... I have 2 IO4 boards in the machine... Im assuming I only need 1... Theres also 2 CPU boards in it..
    The "spare" one doesn't have any connectors hooked up, but I wasn't sure if they help control the CPU boards (since theres 2).

    It would give space for another board if I could remove it

    Is it still possible to get graphics boards for these? Any sort would be nice..Ive heard you can get an Extreme graphics or a simple 2D one.

    Ta.

    Mike

  4. Re: Power Challenge L

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Mike Dailly wrote:

    > >The cards pop up from time to time on eBay, but you may be better off with
    > >FDDI if you want 100Mbps networking.

    > Mmm... I need it to talk to a PC, so I would need to buy an FDDI <-> 100Mb network router or something. I suspect the 10/100 interface would be cheaper
    > Out of interest... do you know how much FDDI to 10/100 ports are?

    You'd probably be better off giving the PC a FDDI card, and having it join
    the FDDI ring.

    In my setup at home, I have the Onyx and Challenge L both attached to a
    FDDI concentrator. A Challenge S with a SAS FDDI card provides access to
    the internal network, and to the Internet.

    You don't need a FDDI concentrator though - I could just attach the SAS
    connector on the Challenge S to the Onyx, and connect the Onyx to the
    Challenge L. I have the concentrator just for convenience.

    I forgot to mention that there's also mezzanine FDDI cards that attach
    directly to the IO4.

    > Is the command monitor via the serial port? Ive only ever connected via the network... i.e. once the machine is up and running.

    Yes, you'll probably need to build a special cable, the pin-outs are
    available in the 'man serial' page in IRIX, or on techpubs.sgi.com

    You should be able to make a serial console cable and hook it up to your
    PC, using 'hyperterm' or a similar program to access the Challenge.

    > I thought so... can it mix and match modules?
    > I have 512Mb in there just now, (8 chips, 64mb each), and I want to add 8 more, but 16mb each.
    > I also have 4 more 64mb ones comming...?

    Yes, you can mix and match memory modules on an MC3.

    > Do you have to add 8 each time? Or can you add in 1's or 2's?

    Not entirely sure - I've always added memory 8 SIMMS at a time, filling
    the leaves as I go.

    However, to preseve memory interleaving, each bank must have the same
    density SIMM, and each leaf must contain the same amout of memory.

    Simon has an excellent section on his Onyx RE2 page describing the layout
    of the MC3's:

    http://www.gisparks.tas.gov.au/sgi/O...tyEngine2.html

    > Oh.. and a small thing... I have 2 IO4 boards in the machine... Im assuming I only need 1... Theres also 2 CPU boards in it..
    > The "spare" one doesn't have any connectors hooked up, but I wasn't sure if they help control the CPU boards (since theres 2).

    Only 1 IO4 card is required, regardless of how many CPU cards you have in
    the machine. I have 1 IO4 controlling 8 CPU's in my Challenge L, for
    instance.

    > It would give space for another board if I could remove it

    Yes, you could replace the IO4 with another MC3 or CPU.

    Only one MC3, CPU and IO4 is required, the remaining two slots you can
    fill with whatever you want. The left-most slot must have an MC3, and the
    first IO4 plugs into the last slot, towards the center of the cardcage and
    before the VME slots.

    > Is it still possible to get graphics boards for these? Any sort would be nice..Ive heard you can get an Extreme graphics or a simple 2D one.

    There's is the GCAM option which will allow you to connect an Extreme card
    onto the IO4 of a Challenge or Onyx. Simon has a photo of one on the link
    above.

    --
    Steven Harrison

    F Invalid file name, 0:1

  5. Re: Power Challenge L

    Steven Harrison wrote:

    Okay... Thanks Steve, Thats been a big help.

    It seems you do need to add in blocks of 8, oh well... I guess I'll just have to wait till another 256Mb upgrade becomes avaialble

    Cheers again,
    Mike

> [...]

    >Only 1 IO4 card is required, regardless of how many CPU cards you have in
    >the machine. I have 1 IO4 controlling 8 CPU's in my Challenge L, for
    >instance.
    >
    >> It would give space for another board if I could remove it

    >Yes, you could replace the IO4 with another MC3 or CPU.
    >
    >Only one MC3, CPU and IO4 is required, the remaining two slots you can
    >fill with whatever you want. The left-most slot must have an MC3, and the
    >first IO4 plugs into the last slot, towards the center of the cardcage and
    >before the VME slots.
    >
    >> Is it still possible to get graphics boards for these? Any sort would be nice..Ive heard you can get an Extreme graphics or a simple 2D one.

    >There's is the GCAM option which will allow you to connect an Extreme card
    >onto the IO4 of a Challenge or Onyx. Simon has a photo of one on the link

  6. Re: Power Challenge L

    > It seems you do need to add in blocks of 8, oh well...

    no, you only need blocks of 4 (minimum config is 4x16MB installed in
    slots A1,B1,C1,D1)

    Btw - if you have 2 MC3s and 8 matching modules, you can enable
    4way-interleaving this way (or in a XL with 4 MC3s 8way-interleaving).

  7. Re: Power Challenge L

    "Wolfram Schubert" wrote:

    Oh... thats odd... the docs weren't clear.. tjey said something about having each block the same amount of memory, which I took to mean 4 block os 2 sims each.. you need 8 sims.

    Well.. thats since I have 8 in already... Adding 4 would make 2 blocks more than 2 other blocks...

    4 way interleaving sounds cool... I actually have a space MC3 as well

    >> It seems you do need to add in blocks of 8, oh well...

    >no, you only need blocks of 4 (minimum config is 4x16MB installed in
    >slots A1,B1,C1,D1)
    >
    >Btw - if you have 2 MC3s and 8 matching modules, you can enable
    >4way-interleaving this way (or in a XL with 4 MC3s 8way-interleaving).

  8. Re: Power Challenge L

    Mike

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Mike Dailly wrote:

    > Oh... thats odd... the docs weren't clear.. tjey said something about having each block the same amount of memory, which I took to mean 4 block os 2 sims each.. you need 8 sims.

    You may be confusing 'blocks' with 'leaves', they're not the same thing.

    Simon's notes on this at:

    http://www.gisparks.tas.gov.au/sgi/O...Memory%20Board

    go into detail how you can add SIMMs in sets of four to individual leaves.
    The diagram at:

    http://www.gisparks.tas.gov.au/sgi/mc3layout.jpg

    Should help to visually explain how leaves and banks on the MC3's are laid
    out.

    --
    Steven Harrison

    0 OK, 0:1

  9. Re: Power Challenge L

    Steven Harrison wrote:
    > Ian just posted a set of diagnostic information for the Challenge/Onyx
    > line here:
    >
    > http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/chalonyxdiag/
    >
    > it may prove useful.

    Wheee! People using it aleady. 8) Anyone know of a good freeware OCR
    package for UNIX/IRIX? I'd like to get the pages into ASCII asap.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

  10. Re: Power Challenge L

    Ian Mapleson wrote:

    > Anyone know of a good freeware OCR
    > package for UNIX/IRIX? I'd like to get the pages into ASCII asap.

    I don't know how good any of them are, or if any will run on IRIX but
    these are the freeware OCR packages I've heard of.

    Orcad (http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html)

    GOCR (aka JOCR, http://www-e.uni-magdeburg.de/jschulen/ocr/)

    Clara (http://www.claraocr.org/).

    At first glance Clara appears to be the best choice, claiming it is "OCR
    for systems that support the C library and the X windows system (e.g.
    most flavours of Unix)". Then you read the FAQ and they state that it
    doesn't support any big-endian systems. The others may or may not have
    similar limitations. I haven't yet bothered to investigate any of them
    in detail since my own need for OCR isn't urgent.

+ Reply to Thread