64-bit Pro/E - SGI

This is a discussion on 64-bit Pro/E - SGI ; was asking about this a while ago, so I cutted and pasted it : http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/64bit_faq.htm 3. What platforms will support Pro/ENGINEER 64-bit and when will they be available? For the UNIX environment, the currently supported platforms include Alpha UNIX True64 ...

  1. 64-bit Pro/E

    <> was asking about this a while ago, so I cutted and pasted it :

    http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/64bit_faq.htm

    3. What platforms will support Pro/ENGINEER 64-bit and when will
    they be available?

    For the UNIX environment, the currently supported platforms include
    Alpha UNIX True64 (which will no longer be supported after Release
    2001) and both Sun and HP platforms as of Release 2001 datecode 2001280.
    Effective with the Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire Release, a 64-bit version for
    SGI UNIX platforms (Pro/ENGINEER Machine Type sgi_elf4) will be available
    in place of the existing 32-bit SGI UNIX versions (Pro/ENGINEER Machine
    Type sgi_mips4). For the Windows environment, a future datecode of
    Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire will be supported with Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
    and the Intel Itanium2 processor. The 64-bit Windows platform of
    Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire will be available in the fourth quarter of 2003.

    [ I liked this part : ]

    9. Should I expect to see increased performance with Pro/ENGINEER
    64-bit?

    No. The 64-bit architecture in general could experience a performance
    degradation of anywhere from 5-20% as compared to the 32-bit architecture.
    However, the increased productivity associated with the ability to create,
    manage, retrieve, and visualize any size or complexity assembly will far
    outweigh any small drop in performance. As a general rule, performance will
    be maximized when the system has enough RAM to be equal to or greater than
    the amount of memory required for the entire dataset, thus preventing the
    application from utilizing swap or virtual memory.

    (interesting that they characterize a 20% drop in performance as small.
    Funny, when they make the program 2.15% quicker it's the biggest news
    since Columbus found America :-)

    Anyway, it looks like there *is* a 64-bit Irix version ? Or was this
    just conjecture ?

  2. Re: 64-bit Pro/E

    In article , hamei wrote:

    > http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/64bit_faq.htm
    >
    > 3. What platforms will support Pro/ENGINEER 64-bit and when will
    > they be available?
    >
    > For the UNIX environment, the currently supported platforms include
    > Alpha UNIX True64 (which will no longer be supported after Release
    > 2001) and both Sun and HP platforms as of Release 2001 datecode 2001280.
    > Effective with the Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire Release, a 64-bit version for
    > SGI UNIX platforms (Pro/ENGINEER Machine Type sgi_elf4) will be available
    > in place of the existing 32-bit SGI UNIX versions (Pro/ENGINEER Machine
    > Type sgi_mips4). For the Windows environment, a future datecode of
    > Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire will be supported with Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
    > and the Intel Itanium2 processor. The 64-bit Windows platform of
    > Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire will be available in the fourth quarter of 2003.
    > Anyway, it looks like there *is* a 64-bit Irix version ? Or was this
    > just conjecture ?

    Yes, there really is a 64-bit IRIX version. Works just fine.

    Joe
    Joseph Michaud - SGI Apps Eng 978-562-8894 x483-8894 jmichaud@sgi.com

+ Reply to Thread