IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs - SGI ; I'm experiencing strange behaviour of ld on my IRIX 5.3 with "free" IDO, I compiled ogg, vorbis and flac libs to work on xmcd beta and it went ok, but when I try to link against libs stripped with strip ...

  1. IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs

    I'm experiencing strange behaviour of ld on my IRIX 5.3 with "free" IDO,
    I compiled ogg, vorbis and flac libs to work on xmcd beta and it went
    ok, but when I try to link against libs stripped with strip -f, ld bails
    out saying that libs have "bad magic number", I know from experience that
    it does work on IRIX 6.5 (just linked xmcd two days ago that way).

    How to make ld work with these libs, or how to properly strip libs?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rambo

  2. Re: IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs

    In article ,
    Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
    >I'm experiencing strange behaviour of ld on my IRIX 5.3 with "free" IDO,
    >I compiled ogg, vorbis and flac libs to work on xmcd beta and it went
    >ok, but when I try to link against libs stripped with strip -f, ld bails
    >out saying that libs have "bad magic number", I know from experience that
    >it does work on IRIX 6.5 (just linked xmcd two days ago that way).
    >
    >How to make ld work with these libs, or how to properly strip libs?

    IRIX5.3 != IRIX6.5

    bad magic number
    applies to COFF libraries.

    5.3 supported COFF and Elf,and COFF static-shared-libs are
    a completely different technology than elf
    dynamic shared objects (popularly termed shared libraries)
    and strip -f might
    break the COFF ones (I don't really recall).

    Or maybe you're trying to mix COFF and Elf stuff? No can do.

    David Anderson

  3. Re: IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs

    > Or maybe you're trying to mix COFF and Elf stuff? No can do.

    No I don't, all libs are compiled with gcc 2.95.2, they link ok when I
    don't strip them, when I strip- ld refuses to link.

    Anyway, I just checked twice: the libs have definitely ELF header ,
    maybe I need some patch I don't know about?

    > David Anderson

    Rambo

  4. Re: IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs

    In article ,
    Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:
    >> Or maybe you're trying to mix COFF and Elf stuff? No can do.

    >No I don't, all libs are compiled with gcc 2.95.2, they link ok when I
    >don't strip them, when I strip- ld refuses to link.

    So don't strip them?

    >Anyway, I just checked twice: the libs have definitely ELF header ,
    >maybe I need some patch I don't know about?

    Or maybe in 5.3 with gcc-generated stuff you simply cannot
    use ld after stripping a library.

    >> David Anderson

    >Rambo

    [Your only obvious workaround is to stop stripping those. Sorry.]
    David Anderson

  5. Re: IRIX 5.3 IDO ld: linking against stripped libs

    > >No I don't, all libs are compiled with gcc 2.95.2, they link ok when I
    > >don't strip them, when I strip- ld refuses to link.

    > So don't strip them?

    Likely so... but with 540Meg HDD you know what that means , juct compiled
    faac, works nice on Indigo R4400SC/150 , but archive lib is 6megs

    I have 40MB free now on disk

    > >Anyway, I just checked twice: the libs have definitely ELF header ,
    > >maybe I need some patch I don't know about?

    > Or maybe in 5.3 with gcc-generated stuff you simply cannot
    > use ld after stripping a library.

    Tried with MIPSpro too, just linker is the troublemaker: anyway, after
    buying the Compiler CD, I guess that won't be a problem either

    > [Your only obvious workaround is to stop stripping those. Sorry.]
    > David Anderson

    or, like mentioned, buy "All Compiler CD" and see if that makes a
    difference... until then I will probably make a fresh 5.3 install too
    on new, 2.1Gig disk

    Thanks anyway,

    Rambo

+ Reply to Thread