SGI Quake2 runs like a champ! - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI Quake2 runs like a champ! - SGI ; Hello, I recently downloaded Quake2 from the SGI Freeware site and installed/configured, which was very easy to do, it using the included readme. It runs AWSOM on the following machines: Onyx350 - 1280x1024 - Irix 6.5.21m Octane - 1600x1200 - ...

  1. SGI Quake2 runs like a champ!

    Hello,

    I recently downloaded Quake2 from the SGI Freeware site and
    installed/configured, which was very easy to do, it using the included
    readme. It runs AWSOM on the following machines:

    Onyx350 - 1280x1024 - Irix 6.5.21m
    Octane - 1600x1200 - Irix 6.5.12m

    The readme from Quake suggested I post working platforms in a comp.sys.sgi.*
    group. Is there a way to get quake2 to display frames per second? This
    might make a neat benchmark.

    Thanks,

    Rob Ramsey

  2. Re: SGI Quake2 runs like a champ!

    "Robert Ramsey" wrote in message news:<10372h9blrctj4f@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently downloaded Quake2 from the SGI Freeware site and
    > installed/configured, which was very easy to do, it using the included
    > readme. It runs AWSOM on the following machines:
    >
    > Onyx350 - 1280x1024 - Irix 6.5.21m
    > Octane - 1600x1200 - Irix 6.5.12m
    >
    > The readme from Quake suggested I post working platforms in a comp.sys.sgi.*
    > group. Is there a way to get quake2 to display frames per second? This
    > might make a neat benchmark.

    "timedemo" something, I forget.

    Grab and install the Action/ActionQuake2 mod for Quake 2 and get a few
    other folks to do the same and join in a network game. It's loads of
    fun and the only reason I ever liked Q2. This will run fine on Indigo2
    R10K Max Impact.

    I wonder if anyone has a copy of the IRIX Quake3 binary anymore. It
    ran almost as well as Q2, but not all of the textures fit into TRAM.
    Still looked great. Should work perfectly on VPro. One of the desktop
    apps guys at SGI was working on the port and had most of the bugs
    worked out. He didn't finish it, though, and had to request that all
    copies be destroyed per the license. I lost my copy on an old drive a
    couple years ago.

    In theory, some day it'll be possible to port over the other Q3-based
    OpenGL games if/when their source is opened... the new Wolf3D, FAKK2
    (heh), and some others.

  3. Re: SGI Quake2 runs like a champ!

    colin@beyondboxes.com (Colin Anderson) wrote:

    >"Robert Ramsey" wrote in message news:<10372h9blrctj4f@corp.supernews.com>...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I recently downloaded Quake2 from the SGI Freeware site and
    >> installed/configured, which was very easy to do, it using the included
    >> readme. It runs AWSOM on the following machines:
    >>
    >> Onyx350 - 1280x1024 - Irix 6.5.21m
    >> Octane - 1600x1200 - Irix 6.5.12m
    >>
    >> The readme from Quake suggested I post working platforms in a comp.sys.sgi.*
    >> group. Is there a way to get quake2 to display frames per second? This
    >> might make a neat benchmark.

    >"timedemo" something, I forget.
    >
    >Grab and install the Action/ActionQuake2 mod for Quake 2 and get a few
    >other folks to do the same and join in a network game. It's loads of
    >fun and the only reason I ever liked Q2. This will run fine on Indigo2
    >R10K Max Impact.
    >
    >I wonder if anyone has a copy of the IRIX Quake3 binary anymore. It
    >ran almost as well as Q2, but not all of the textures fit into TRAM.
    >Still looked great. Should work perfectly on VPro. One of the desktop
    >apps guys at SGI was working on the port and had most of the bugs
    >worked out. He didn't finish it, though, and had to request that all
    >copies be destroyed per the license. I lost my copy on an old drive a
    >couple years ago.
    >
    >In theory, some day it'll be possible to port over the other Q3-based
    >OpenGL games if/when their source is opened... the new Wolf3D, FAKK2
    >(heh), and some others.

    Haven't tested it myself, but found Q3 stuff on Nekochan.

    http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archives/000069.html

    Could be worth checking out

  4. Re: SGI Quake2 runs like a champ!

    Robert Ramsey wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently downloaded Quake2 from the SGI Freeware site and
    > installed/configured, which was very easy to do, it using the included
    > readme. It runs AWSOM on the following machines:
    >
    > Onyx350 - 1280x1024 - Irix 6.5.21m
    > Octane - 1600x1200 - Irix 6.5.12m

    irix? get with it! altix is sgi's real quake offering!

    > The readme from Quake suggested I post working platforms in a comp.sys.sgi.*
    > group. Is there a way to get quake2 to display frames per second? This
    > might make a neat benchmark.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rob Ramsey

  5. Re: SGI Quake2 runs like a champ!

    Robert Ramsey wrote:

    > The readme from Quake suggested I post working platforms in a comp.sys.sgi.*
    > group. Is there a way to get quake2 to display frames per second? This
    > might make a neat benchmark.

    spoken like a true linux power user! quake is the ultimate benchmark
    of system performance and opengl superiority!

    and btw, the console command you are looking for is 'timerefresh'

    cheers.

    cosmos See no linux
    @ Hear no linux
    hepcat.org Speak no linux

  6. Quake2 Benchmarks

    Hello,

    Thanks for the timerefresh command. I collected the following benchmarks:

    Quake 2 Benchmarks

    Onyx350
    4x700mhz IP35 R16K
    2048MB RAM
    V12 Graphics

    1600x1200x60
    Default OpenGL
    30.1 FPS
    Software
    12.7 FPS

    1280x1024x60
    44.3 FPS
    Software
    18.9 FPS

    1024x768x60
    60.1 FPS
    Software
    24.4 FPS

    800x600x60
    60.1 FPS
    Software
    47.2 FPS

    Octane2
    2x600mhz IP30 R14K
    2048MB RAM
    V12 Graphics

    1600x1200x60
    30.1 FPS
    Software
    10.5 FPS

    1280x1024x60
    44.1 FPS
    Software
    14.8 FPS

    1024x768x60
    60.2 FPS
    Software
    24.6 FPS

    800x600x60
    60.2 FPS
    Software
    39 FPS

    O2
    1x255mhz IP32 R10K
    256MB RAM
    CRM Graphics

    1024x768x60
    16.7 FPS
    Software
    9.8 FPS

    800x600x60
    24.2 FPS
    Software
    14.5 FPS

    I couldn't get the O2 to run Quake2 in 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 correctly.

    Thanks again,

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread