how long will it take for common people to buy tzero - SGI

This is a discussion on how long will it take for common people to buy tzero - SGI ; Yesterday I was sitting in my bed watching my wonderfull O2, then I started to think how long will it take for me to buy an Tezro, the O2 took me about six years, refurb. of course. As the Tezro ...

  1. how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Yesterday I was sitting in my bed watching my wonderfull O2, then I
    started to think how long will it take for me to buy an Tezro, the O2
    took me about six years, refurb. of course. As the Tezro is a diferent
    class machine I wonder do I really have to wait 6 or more years to
    afford it? The O2 cost me about 1200 Eur. Can any one make an estimate
    for the Tezro? I'm really out of information about it. the only thing
    I know is that the Tezro made my eyes shine!!!!!

  2. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    In article <5cd413a6.0402180631.28df7703@posting.google.com>,
    Ricardo Fernandes wrote:
    >Yesterday I was sitting in my bed watching my wonderfull O2, then I
    >started to think how long will it take for me to buy an Tezro, the O2
    >took me about six years, refurb. of course.

    Well, here's one measure from my experience:

    R4k Indigo introduced: ca. 1992
    Free R4k Indigo: 1998
    Crimson introduced: ca. 1992
    Free Crimson: 1999
    O2 introduced: ca. 1996
    Free O2: 2002

    So, potentially:

    Tezro introduced: 2003
    Free Tezro: ca. 2009

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  3. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Ricardo Fernandes wrote:

    > Yesterday I was sitting in my bed watching my wonderfull O2, then I
    > started to think how long will it take for me to buy an Tezro, the O2
    > took me about six years, refurb. of course. As the Tezro is a diferent
    > class machine I wonder do I really have to wait 6 or more years to
    > afford it? The O2 cost me about 1200 Eur. Can any one make an estimate
    > for the Tezro?

    That's difficult to say. I don't think Tezro sells in large numbers like the
    Octane did. One of the reason Octanes are that damn cheap is that the Octane
    sold quite well, and after some years these expensive machines reached the
    2nd hand market. If Tezro sells the same way (which I really doubt) it might
    be somewhat(!) affordable after ~4yrs. But it also depends on when SGI drops
    the MIPS/IRIX platform, as soon as they officially EOL the MIPS/IRIX
    platform prices certainly will drop down dramatically.

    > I'm really out of information about it. the only thing
    > I know is that the Tezro made my eyes shine!!!!!

    Yes, the Tezro looks nice. When they are somewhat cheap one day I'll get one
    for sure. But I hope it's not as loud and fragile as Octanes...

    Benjamin

  4. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Dans article ,
    bgawert@gmx.de disait...

    > Yes, the Tezro looks nice. When they are somewhat cheap one day I'll get one
    > for sure. But I hope it's not as loud and fragile as Octanes...

    Fragile, don't know. But it's as loud as it's big...

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  5. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Emmanuel Florac wrote in message news:...
    > Dans article ,
    > bgawert@gmx.de disait...
    > > Yes, the Tezro looks nice. When they are somewhat cheap one day I'll get one
    > > for sure. But I hope it's not as loud and fragile as Octanes...

    > Fragile, don't know. But it's as loud as it's big...

    Tezro has gobs of fans and large air grilles, it's a well cooled
    machine. In sheet metal alone, it's a heavy duty complete box... the
    plastic skins are purely for looks. Inside there are no CPOP
    connectors or easy-accecss slide out boards, so it's probably going to
    prove to be less fragile than Octane. Time will tell.

    I've unboxed and set up a few (2 processor) Tezros as well as (2
    processor) Octane2s and (1 processor - no choice) Fuels on the same
    day in the same room. The room was a little noisy to begin with, but
    it seemed to me that Tezro was considerably more quiet than Octane2.
    Fuel was the most quiet.

    I have only briefly used a 4 processor Tezro, I don't recall that it
    was very loud, but I had nothing to compare it to at the time.

    Original green Octanes with dirty fans (running fastfan=1) are about
    as loud as it gets without going oldschool or rackmount.

  6. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Seems to me that Tezro may be like the Onyx deskside - not too many in
    circulation and keeping a fair price due to demand for some years to
    come. Although there's always going to be one charlie who will put
    one on ebay for 10 Pounds no reserve!

  7. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Jonathan wrote:
    > Seems to me that Tezro may be like the Onyx deskside - not too many in
    > circulation and keeping a fair price due to demand for some years to
    > come. Although there's always going to be one charlie who will put
    > one on ebay for 10 Pounds no reserve!

    when there is one deskside that's not too hard to come, then it's an
    Onyx1 Deskside

    Cheers
    Andreas

  8. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Jonathan wrote:

    > Seems to me that Tezro may be like the Onyx deskside - not too many in
    > circulation and keeping a fair price due to demand for some years to
    > come. Although there's always going to be one charlie who will put
    > one on ebay for 10 Pounds no reserve!

    when there is one deskside that's not too hard to come by, then it's an
    Onyx1 Deskside

    Cheers
    Andreas

  9. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:28:50 +0100, Andreas Backhaus wrote:
    > when there is one deskside that's not too hard to come by, then it's an
    > Onyx1 Deskside

    Uhm... you probably don't know where one would be available
    that (a) fits into my budget and (b) is located so close that
    I can pick it up? :-)

    Gerhard

  10. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    > Uhm... you probably don't know where one would be available
    > that (a) fits into my budget and (b) is located so close that
    > I can pick it up? :-)

    I happen to know one for sale in the Netherlands, if that's close
    enough... Too bad it won't fit into my budget, it's for sale for 1200 euro's

    Jeroen

  11. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Jeroen Resoort wrote:

    > > Uhm... you probably don't know where one would be available

    >> that (a) fits into my budget and (b) is located so close that I can
    >> pick it up? :-)

    > I happen to know one for sale in the Netherlands, if that's close
    > enough... Too bad it won't fit into my budget, it's for sale for 1200
    > euro's
    >

    > Jeroen

    1200 Euro or 12000 Euro?
    I would be interested if it's only 1200 Euro.

    S.Chang

  12. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:01:47 +0100, Jeroen Resoort wrote:
    > I happen to know one for sale in the Netherlands, if that's close
    > enough... Too bad it won't fit into my budget, it's for sale for 1200 euro's

    Netherlands, Belgium, northern France wouldn't be a problem.
    Bigger problem is that now at the end of my time as a student
    my budget has shrunk almost to the "give it to an enthusiast
    before you throw it away" range. But that probably will change
    in times to come. ;-)

    Gerhard

  13. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    S.Chang wrote:
    > Jeroen Resoort wrote:
    >
    >> > Uhm... you probably don't know where one would be available

    >>> that (a) fits into my budget and (b) is located so close that I can
    >>> pick it up? :-)

    >> I happen to know one for sale in the Netherlands, if that's close
    >> enough... Too bad it won't fit into my budget, it's for sale for 1200
    >> euro's
    >>

    >> Jeroen

    > 1200 Euro or 12000 Euro?
    > I would be interested if it's only 1200 Euro.
    >
    > S.Chang

    1200 Euro. See
    http://www.macnetic.net/FMPro?-db=da...d=33602&-find=
    It's not the best Onyx but still, it's an Onyx.

    If size isn't a problem you should check this Rack Power Onyx too.
    http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

    Jeroen

  14. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    > Bigger problem is that now at the end of my time as a student
    > my budget has shrunk almost to the "give it to an enthusiast
    > before you throw it away" range. But that probably will change
    > in times to come. ;-)

    Sounds familliar ;-)

    Jeroen

  15. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Jeroen Resoort wrote:

    > S.Chang wrote:

    >>> I happen to know one for sale in the Netherlands, if that's close
    >>> enough... Too bad it won't fit into my budget, it's for sale for 1200
    >>> euro's
    >>>

    >>> Jeroen

    >> 1200 Euro or 12000 Euro?
    >> I would be interested if it's only 1200 Euro.
    >>
    >> S.Chang

    > 1200 Euro. See
    > http://www.macnetic.net/FMPro?-db=da...d=33602&-find=
    >
    > It's not the best Onyx but still, it's an Onyx.
    >
    > If size isn't a problem you should check this Rack Power Onyx too.
    > http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1
    >

    > Jeroen

    I thought you meant a second hand Tezro

    I don't know why Onyx is so expensive, only used it once
    http://www.vision.ic.ac.uk it didn't make much impression.

    I have seen a few 16 CPU(195 and 250MHz) Origin 2000 on eBay for under
    3000 Euro, pretty tempted to buy one, but the size is a big problem

    S.Chang

  16. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    > I thought you meant a second hand Tezro

    Whoow, a second hand Tezro for 1200 euro! I would have taken a loan and
    would pick it up ASAP ;-)

    Jeroen

  17. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    Jeroen Resoort wrote:
    > If size isn't a problem you should check this Rack Power Onyx too.
    > http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

    Oi, I recognise that big picture at the top, it's from my Onyx page! Reinhard
    you naughty person. Knew I should have name-logo'd that picture. Took
    hours to scan and clean up.

    Ian.

  18. Re: how long will it take for common people to buy tzero

    > Oi, I recognise that big picture at the top, it's from my Onyx page! Reinhard
    > you naughty person. Knew I should have name-logo'd that picture. Took
    > hours to scan and clean up.

    LOL
    I already thought that picture looked familliar :-)

    Jeroen

+ Reply to Thread