Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer? - SGI

This is a discussion on Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer? - SGI ; Hi, I was thinking of putting IRIX6.5.23m on my Octane, currently running 6.5.16m, but I remebered some posts about some update could 'kill' an Octane if things are not done properly. Which update is the dangerous one? Is it just ...

  1. Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer?

    Hi,

    I was thinking of putting IRIX6.5.23m on my Octane,
    currently running 6.5.16m, but I remebered some
    posts about some update could 'kill' an Octane if
    things are not done properly.

    Which update is the dangerous one?

    Is it just to install the patchSG0005086 first and
    then all is ok?

    I've searched the news but can't find the original
    post. If someone can enlighten me before I do
    something I regret I would be glad.

    regards
    Bjorn

  2. Re: Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer?

    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking of putting IRIX6.5.23m on my Octane,
    > currently running 6.5.16m, but I remebered some
    > posts about some update could 'kill' an Octane if
    > things are not done properly.
    >
    > Which update is the dangerous one?
    >
    > Is it just to install the patchSG0005086 first and
    > then all is ok?
    >
    > I've searched the news but can't find the original
    > post. If someone can enlighten me before I do
    > something I regret I would be glad.
    >
    > regards
    > Bjorn

    I started on mine with 6.5.1, rugularly updating to the next available m
    release all the way up to 6.5.23m (skipping 6.5.18, 20 and 21 because of
    supportfolio account slips) and my Octane isn't dead yet...

  3. Re: Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer?

    > I was thinking of putting IRIX6.5.23m on my Octane,
    > currently running 6.5.16m, but I remebered some
    > posts about some update could 'kill' an Octane if
    > things are not done properly.
    >
    > Which update is the dangerous one?
    >
    > Is it just to install the patchSG0005086 first and
    > then all is ok?

    http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archi..._sgi_news.html

    Quote,

    "If one live-installs IRIX 6.5.21 on an Octane without applying patch 5086,
    it will kill the PROM, rendering you unable to boot the Octane anymore!
    Check out this forum thread.

    Be absolutely sure that you have patch 5086 installed on your Octane, if you
    want to upgrade to 6.5.21. The patch is previously explained in this forum
    thread.

    A miniroot 6.5.21 install should be fine, provided you boot the miniroot
    from the 6.5.21 install CD."

    ... that does seem to apply to .21, not .23 but hope this helps?

  4. Re: Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer?

    >> I was thinking of putting IRIX6.5.23m on my Octane,

    Joe> http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archi..._sgi_news.html

    nekochan> A miniroot 6.5.21 install should be fine, provided
    nekochan> you boot the miniroot from the 6.5.21 install CD."

    Hi, all:

    So.... I have a new-to-me octane, with no hard-drive. Once
    I remedy that (eBay to my rescue :-) ), will I be (safely) able
    to do a 6.5.23 install from scratch? I would presume so, if the
    above is correct, since a 6.5.23 mini-root is where I'll be
    working from... ?

    I need reassurance....

    -Gord

    --
    Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng. VA7GP
    White Rock, B.C. Canada

  5. Re: Which IRIX upgrade is an Octane killer?

    "joe smith" wrote:

    >> I was thinking of putting IRIX6.5.23m on my Octane,
    >> currently running 6.5.16m, but I remebered some
    >> posts about some update could 'kill' an Octane if
    >> things are not done properly.
    >>
    >> Which update is the dangerous one?
    >>
    >> Is it just to install the patchSG0005086 first and
    >> then all is ok?

    >http://www.nekochan.net/weblog/archi..._sgi_news.html
    >
    >Quote,
    >
    >"If one live-installs IRIX 6.5.21 on an Octane without applying patch 5086,
    >it will kill the PROM, rendering you unable to boot the Octane anymore!
    >Check out this forum thread.
    >
    >Be absolutely sure that you have patch 5086 installed on your Octane, if you
    >want to upgrade to 6.5.21. The patch is previously explained in this forum
    >thread.
    >
    >A miniroot 6.5.21 install should be fine, provided you boot the miniroot
    >from the 6.5.21 install CD."
    >
    >.. that does seem to apply to .21, not .23 but hope this helps?

    Great. Thank you.
    I've read the forum thread and I feel I can safely upgrade.
    After apluing patch of course.

    /Bjorn

+ Reply to Thread