Roots of IRIX - SGI

This is a discussion on Roots of IRIX - SGI ; I was doing backups of some old tapes I've got over the years. Among others there were PRIME tapes which I got with my PRIM labeled Professional IRIS. When having a short look at the content of the dump files ...

  1. Roots of IRIX

    I was doing backups of some old tapes I've got over the years. Among
    others there were PRIME tapes which I got with my PRIM labeled Professional
    IRIS. When having a short look at the content of the dump files I noticed
    something I've seen previously: sash.IP4 and other things typical for
    IRIX/4D1. So I had a closer look and found out what it is:

    "4D1-2.3"

    I can see references to IP4 and R2300 for the files so this proves that
    there was a pre-3.x release that did run on MIPS systems. Some dates I
    can find in the files date it back to some time 1986.

    Gerhard
    --
    Freeware for IRIX 6.x/5.x/4.x
    http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/downloads/

  2. Re: Roots of IRIX

    In article <8ba2g1-rb72.ln1@news.g-lenerz.de>,
    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    :"4D1-2.3"

    :I can see references to IP4 and R2300 for the files so this proves that
    :there was a pre-3.x release that did run on MIPS systems. Some dates I
    :can find in the files date it back to some time 1986.

    Old news ;p

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en...c.umanitoba.ca
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.

  3. Re: Roots of IRIX

    On 24 Feb 2004 07:12:44 GMT, Walter Roberson wrote:
    >:I can see references to IP4 and R2300 for the files so this proves that
    >:there was a pre-3.x release that did run on MIPS systems. Some dates I
    >:can find in the files date it back to some time 1986.
    >
    > Old news ;p
    >
    > http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en...c.umanitoba.ca

    Aaaah... damn. ;-)

    Gerhard