cc complaining about unnecessary libs - SGI

This is a discussion on cc complaining about unnecessary libs - SGI ; On my IRIX 5.3 system cc sometimes complains that "libxxx did not resolv any symbols. You might want to remove it from the link command line" (paraphrased from memory). With many GNU configure scripts this happens with -ldl for example. ...

  1. cc complaining about unnecessary libs

    On my IRIX 5.3 system cc sometimes complains that "libxxx did not resolv
    any symbols. You might want to remove it from the link command line"
    (paraphrased from memory). With many GNU configure scripts this happens
    with -ldl for example.
    Is this just a cosmetic issue during compilation, or will it add any
    overhead or unnecessary dependence on libxxx for the newly linked
    binary?

    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    geos@epost.de +49 177 8811442

  2. Re: cc complaining about unnecessary libs

    In article <1g8x21e.18yu15uyzsp3N@geos.net.eu.org>,
    Georg Schwarz wrote:
    >On my IRIX 5.3 system cc sometimes complains that "libxxx did not resolv
    >any symbols. You might want to remove it from the link command line"
    >(paraphrased from memory). With many GNU configure scripts this happens
    >with -ldl for example.
    >Is this just a cosmetic issue during compilation, or will it add any
    >overhead or unnecessary dependence on libxxx for the newly linked
    >binary?

    If libdl.so exists then the 'liblist' shows it.
    But libdl.so is empty on IRIX. Having it on the liblist means
    app startup is slightly slower for no purpose.

    The point of the message is to give you , the person doing the build,
    the opportunity to decide if you want the app to start up as
    quickly as you can or if that is irrelevant to you.

    For most apps an extra (useless) DSO (shared library) entry
    on the list is not something you would ever notice.
    If it's an app you run zillions of times in a day, you
    might want to rethink having useless DSOs on its link line.

    Hope this makes sense.
    David Anderson

+ Reply to Thread