The Great Linux Experiment 2004 - SGI

This is a discussion on The Great Linux Experiment 2004 - SGI ; In article , Clico Fantastico wrote: >Użytkownik Jon Leech napisał: > >> SGI develops MIPS-architecture CPUs for its own server and >> workstation systems, but the embedded/IP business ( www.mips.com ) was > >Is SGI still developing MIPS CPUs ? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    In article ,
    Clico Fantastico wrote:
    >Użytkownik Jon Leech napisał:
    >
    >> SGI develops MIPS-architecture CPUs for its own server and
    >> workstation systems, but the embedded/IP business (www.mips.com) was

    >Is SGI still developing MIPS CPUs ? Rumors are that they cancelled R18k,
    >instead they are teaching penguins how to fly .

    There is an ongoing roadmap of increasing cpu clock rate.
    Currently shipping 800 Mhz I believe. With higher clocks to follow.

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea at sgi dot com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea
    [Not official spokesperson for sgi...]

  2. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    Użytkownik David Anderson napisał:

    > There is an ongoing roadmap of increasing cpu clock rate.
    > Currently shipping 800 Mhz I believe. With higher clocks to follow.

    But is it going to be R16k with increased clock rate or a new R18k CPU
    which was supposed to be completly new design with two floating-point
    units on a chip ???

    Kuba
    --
    perl -e 's%%"|xrc~B~weFx_u~fb;"^1x17%e&&s&^&I love &&&print#@%%'

  3. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    Thomas Jahns wrote in message

    (snip)
    > Actually you could even use an Indy. Indy video works with Linux since
    > the last debian developer meeting.

    Got a link with more detailed information? I would like to give this
    a go later in the summer.

    For the naysayers:

    IRIX is a sweet OS, make no mistake --it rocks. Google me for
    several posts to that effect, that I will happily back up Am I
    pro Linux? Compared to win32 absolutely. I would prefer to do
    everything with IRIX though. It is still better in many ways. For
    the time being, IRIX remains the benchmark for other OSes to measure
    up to.

    Having said that, Linux is getting a lot of attention and development.
    I have been using Mandrake for quite a while and frankly, like what I
    am seeing. Given the pressure Linux will continue to bring to this
    industry, I expect it to eventually act as a catalyst for more UNIX
    development outside the traditional circles. This will benefit those
    of us who continue to run IRIX via Open Source application capture.
    New apps on Linux can be remoted to IRIX desktops a lot easier and
    cheaper than those running on other commercial UNIXes as well. Bottom
    line is that I like doing things the UNIX way. Linux is adding to my
    ability to do that in a reasonable way, so it's a good thing on that
    basis alone.

    Linux is quite the mess presently however... (maybe there is hope)

    Running it on a spare Indy would be cool in my book, given its EOL
    status for IRIX updates. The Indy is a very nice machine, just a bit
    slow. Anyone have any performance metrics compared to IRIX 6.5?
    Given the low speed and many tweaks in IRIX, differences would surely
    show... Any one doing this care to comment?

  4. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    doug@opengeek.org (Doug Dingus) wrote in message news:...
    > Thomas Jahns wrote in message

    (snip)

    > Running it on a spare Indy would be cool in my book, given its EOL
    > status for IRIX updates. The Indy is a very nice machine, just a bit
    > slow. Anyone have any performance metrics compared to IRIX 6.5?
    > Given the low speed and many tweaks in IRIX, differences would surely
    > show... Any one doing this care to comment?

    Never mind, found the discussion --reading with interest.

  5. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    doug@opengeek.org (Doug Dingus) writes:
    > Got a link with more detailed information? I would like to give this
    > a go later in the summer.

    http://www.linux-mips.org/~ladis/vino/vino.html

    But I think most code has even made it into 2.4.24 already and is more
    uptodate than the above website.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  6. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    Thomas Jahns wrote in message news:<877jz0mjqv.fsf@ID-48333.user.dfncis.de>...
    > doug@opengeek.org (Doug Dingus) writes:
    > > Got a link with more detailed information? I would like to give this
    > > a go later in the summer.

    > http://www.linux-mips.org/~ladis/vino/vino.html
    >
    > But I think most code has even made it into 2.4.24 already and is more
    > uptodate than the above website.

    Thanks, glad you posted that little bit. After reading that page, I
    was thinking I should wait a bit more.

  7. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    HI,
    zolo wrote:
    > cosmos wrote:
    >

    > Haven't you heard, MIPS is DEAD!!! Long live Itanic! Why want to run
    > crappy MIPS with new Open Source salvation?

    Haven't you heard, Itanic sunk ))

    http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5150...?tag=nefd_lede

    /michael

  8. Re: The Great Linux Experiment 2004

    S.Chang wrote:

    > MIPS group is part of SGI, same as Alias.

    Alas ....

    http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_re..._software.html

    Seems that SGI is "forced" to sell off anything
    that produces a profit in their slow death spiral ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2