Itanic's future in jeopardy - SGI

This is a discussion on Itanic's future in jeopardy - SGI ; http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5150...?tag=nefd_lede "In the long run, if [Intel] were really serious about x86-64...it would kill Itanium." That would hurt Intel, which has staked much of its reputation on Itanium, but it would affect partners such as Hewlett-Packard and Silicon Graphics moreso; ...

  1. Itanic's future in jeopardy

    http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5150...?tag=nefd_lede

    "In the long run, if [Intel] were really serious about x86-64...it would
    kill Itanium."

    That would hurt Intel, which has staked much of its reputation on
    Itanium, but it would affect partners such as Hewlett-Packard and
    Silicon Graphics moreso; both rely on Itanium for their future server
    designs."

    -zolo

  2. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    zolo wrote:
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5150...?tag=nefd_lede
    >
    > "In the long run, if [Intel] were really serious about x86-64...it would
    > kill Itanium."
    >
    > That would hurt Intel, which has staked much of its reputation on
    > Itanium, but it would affect partners such as Hewlett-Packard and
    > Silicon Graphics moreso; both rely on Itanium for their future server
    > designs."

    Then you can call it Itanic the incredible sinking ship.

    It's to the point now that you have a better chance of a bigfoot
    or elvis sighting than 64 bit peecee offerings.

    cheers.

  3. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    Dans article , info@irixcentral.com
    disait...

    > It's to the point now that you have a better chance of a bigfoot
    > or elvis sighting than 64 bit peecee offerings.

    ?? x86-64 is quite widely available now. And it works pretty well...

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  4. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > Dans article , info@irixcentral.com
    > disait...
    >>
    >> It's to the point now that you have a better chance of a bigfoot
    >> or elvis sighting than 64 bit peecee offerings.
    >>

    > ?? x86-64 is quite widely available now. And it works pretty well...

    ?? indeed. i have yet to see a single x86-64 incantation on campus and
    we have just about everything in biotech...

    just where are all these 64 bit intel offerings in business today?

    --cosmos

  5. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    Dans article , cosmos@hepcat.org
    disait...

    > ?? indeed. i have yet to see a single x86-64 incantation on campus and
    > we have just about everything in biotech...

    x86-64 IS AMD. It's available anywhere, I saw several machine. Pasteur
    Institue in Paris has a whole bunch of biproc Opteron machines, and they
    plan to replace all their Alpha systems with these.

    > just where are all these 64 bit intel offerings in business today?

    Doesn't exist from Intel.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  6. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:

    > x86-64 IS AMD. It's available anywhere, I saw several machine. Pasteur
    > Institue in Paris has a whole bunch of biproc Opteron machines, and they
    > plan to replace all their Alpha systems with these.

    but your post certainly implied that they were widespread and that every
    business was running 64 bit x86 machines right now. i dare say they are
    still just a novelty and not mass market offerings.

    >> just where are all these 64 bit intel offerings in business today?

    > Doesn't exist from Intel.

    cut the crap they are both peecee pushers. intel, amd, joebob's hardware
    shack-- it's all the same thing.

    --cosmos

  7. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    Dans article , cosmos@hepcat.org
    disait...

    > but your post certainly implied that they were widespread and that every
    > business was running 64 bit x86 machines right now. i dare say they are
    > still just a novelty and not mass market offerings.

    ts ts. My post implied they're easy to find and buy.

    > cut the crap they are both peecee pushers. intel, amd, joebob's hardware
    > shack-- it's all the same thing.

    Well, perhaps, but they're blazingly fast, they works well, they're
    stable... What's a good hardware if this doesn't qualify?

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  8. Re: Itanic's future in jeopardy

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:46:20 +0100,
    Emmanuel Florac , in
    wrote:
    >+ Dans article , cosmos@hepcat.org
    >+ disait...

    >+ > cut the crap they are both peecee pushers. intel, amd, joebob's hardware
    >+ > shack-- it's all the same thing.
    >+
    >+ Well, perhaps, but they're blazingly fast, they works well, they're
    >+ stable... What's a good hardware if this doesn't qualify?

    And relatively inexpensive. I suppose that if you work in industry and
    have an unlimited hardware budget, that's not a consideration.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.