Where can I get Irix 6.5 ? - SGI

This is a discussion on Where can I get Irix 6.5 ? - SGI ; I have at home a SGI O2 Workstation. Now I want to install Irix . Do you now where I can get a version for me ( just private)? And what software runs on it? Thanks for answers Mario...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    I have at home a SGI O2 Workstation. Now I want to install Irix . Do you now
    where I can get a version for me ( just private)? And what software runs on
    it?

    Thanks for answers

    Mario

  2. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    Mario Schödler wrote:

    > I have at home a SGI O2 Workstation. Now I want to install Irix . Do you now
    > where I can get a version for me ( just private)? And what software runs on
    > it?
    >
    > Thanks for answers
    >
    > Mario

    I assume you don't want to shell out 600+ USD for an obsolete machine
    like the O2, so you can just forget about buying IRIX from SGI. Your
    only legal (well... kind of) option would be to search eBay for a
    complete set of IRIX installation media, but even so you should be
    prepared to pay around 90 USD or more.

    Regards

  3. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    (I just want to try to find a version)

    Mario

    "Florian Bachmann" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Mario Schödler wrote:
    >
    > > I have at home a SGI O2 Workstation. Now I want to install Irix . Do you

    now
    > > where I can get a version for me ( just private)? And what software runs

    on
    > > it?
    > >
    > > Thanks for answers
    > >
    > > Mario
    > >

    > I assume you don't want to shell out 600+ USD for an obsolete machine
    > like the O2, so you can just forget about buying IRIX from SGI. Your
    > only legal (well... kind of) option would be to search eBay for a
    > complete set of IRIX installation media, but even so you should be
    > prepared to pay around 90 USD or more.
    >
    > Regards

  4. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    "Mario Sch?dler" wrote:
    > And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    > (I just want to try to find a version)

    you are dancing on thin ice...

  5. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    On 2004-01-28, IRIX Central wrote:
    > "Mario Sch?dler" wrote:
    >> And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    >> (I just want to try to find a version)

    Isn't M stream available to free supportfolio accounts?

    http://support.sgi.com/

    > you are dancing on thin ice...

    Every time someone asks for software on this group they shoot at him. At
    current SGI rates, I _seriously_ doubt a student, hobbist or simply a
    private can efford to pay for

    1) new hardware
    2) support contracts (ie: updates, compilers and OSs).

    Now wonder why with only the price of a support contract I can buy a
    decent, well-balanced x86 machine with some nice wild penguins in it.

    You may say that's NOT the SGI target.... Well, what kind of hardware I
    should buy when I had no way to make experiences with SGI hw/sw, but had
    plenty of experience with linux and common hardware? When I have a
    problem, can I count on a community? IMHO, professionals and hobbists
    should NOT be cut off because THEY will purchase/suggest SGI products
    when in business. Hardware-only vendors are easily replaced you know.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!

  6. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    wave++ wrote:
    >> you are dancing on thin ice...

    > Every time someone asks for software on this group they shoot at him. At
    > current SGI rates, I _seriously_ doubt a student, hobbist or simply a
    > private can efford to pay for

    this standpoint does not change the law. you can wring hands and debate
    all day but it is still theft by legal definition.

    "i do not agree with the prices therefore i am entitled to steal" is a
    rather lame standpoint no matter how you slice it.

    a poor starving student(tm) surely cannot afford a 60,000 sports car
    either so can he just walk away with one off the lot and justify that?

    if you cannot afford your hobby find a new one or take the TUXENOMICS
    elsewhere.

    cheers.

  7. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    On 2004-01-28, IRIX Central wrote:
    > wave++ wrote:
    >> Every time someone asks for software on this group they shoot at him. At
    >> current SGI rates, I _seriously_ doubt a student, hobbist or simply a
    >> private can efford to pay for

    > this standpoint does not change the law. you can wring hands and debate
    > all day but it is still theft by legal definition.
    >
    > "i do not agree with the prices therefore i am entitled to steal" is a
    > rather lame standpoint no matter how you slice it.

    Did I say something about stealing/copying?

    > a poor starving student(tm) surely cannot afford a 60,000 sports car
    > either so can he just walk away with one off the lot and justify that?
    >
    > if you cannot afford your hobby find a new one or take the TUXENOMICS
    > elsewhere.

    The poor-starving-student(tm) will remember how nice was working with
    closed-source-and-yet-unaffordable-software(r) and take TUXECONOMICS
    into consideration TWO times, at least.

    Where do you think unix has evolved most? In production like windoze?
    I say that such "giants" like SGI should take care of motivated
    professionals AND students or it will soon be dead.

    FYI, I'M a poor-starving-student(tm), and I sold one eye to keep my
    machine updated this year.

    But, I think this was discuted several times in several threads, so I
    won't put a word more. My point is: don't kill him, just point it to the
    right direction.

    NOTE: poor-starving-student(tm),
    closed-source-and-yet-unaffordable-software(r) and TUXECONOMICS are
    copyright of theyr respective owners.

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!
    \__/ \_ WARNING: the email address is fake.

  8. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    wave++ wrote:
    > But, I think this was discuted several times in several threads, so I
    > won't put a word more. My point is: don't kill him, just point it to the
    > right direction.

    ihe was pointed to the right direction but he instead chose to come back
    and blatantly ask for illegal copies of software since he did not like the
    answer to his original thinly veiled request...

    this is where the annoyance begins to escalate.

    > NOTE: poor-starving-student(tm),
    > closed-source-and-yet-unaffordable-software(r) and TUXECONOMICS are
    > copyright of theyr respective owners.

    it's TUXENOMICS!!!

  9. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    On 2004-01-28, IRIX Central wrote:
    >> NOTE: poor-starving-student(tm),
    >> closed-source-and-yet-unaffordable-software(r) and TUXECONOMICS are
    >> copyright of theyr respective owners.

    > it's TUXENOMICS!!!

    Who holds the copyright? The linux antichrist?

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!
    \__/ \_ WARNING: the email address is fake.

  10. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    wave++ wrote:
    >> it's TUXENOMICS!!!

    > Who holds the copyright? The linux antichrist?

    absolutely!

  11. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    wave++ wrote:

    > On 2004-01-28, IRIX Central wrote:
    > > wave++ wrote:
    > >> Every time someone asks for software on this group they shoot at him. At
    > >> current SGI rates, I _seriously_ doubt a student, hobbist or simply a
    > >> private can efford to pay for

    > > this standpoint does not change the law. you can wring hands and debate
    > > all day but it is still theft by legal definition.
    > >
    > > "i do not agree with the prices therefore i am entitled to steal" is a
    > > rather lame standpoint no matter how you slice it.

    > Did I say something about stealing/copying?

    The OP in this thread did mention illegally copying IRIX.

    In message id "Mario
    Schödler" wrote:

    > And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?

    I've got to agree with "IRIX Central" on this one. I highly doubt
    anybody in this newsgroup is going to knowingly offer illegal copies of
    IRIX for any reason.

  12. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    On 2004-01-28, John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >> Did I say something about stealing/copying?

    > The OP in this thread did mention illegally copying IRIX.
    >
    > In message id "Mario
    > Schödler" wrote:
    >
    >> And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?

    > I've got to agree with "IRIX Central" on this one. I highly doubt
    > anybody in this newsgroup is going to knowingly offer illegal copies of
    > IRIX for any reason.

    I now noticed... uhhm
    What we should do anyway is "prime" the matrix.. you know, a neural
    network may take several iterations to learn (provided that's connected
    to some form of Gray-Matter(r) with high speed NUMA links).

    --
    __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!
    \__/ \_ WARNING: the email address is fake.

  13. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    wave++ wrote:

    > On 2004-01-28, IRIX Central wrote:
    > > wave++ wrote:
    > >> Every time someone asks for software on this group they shoot at him. At
    > >> current SGI rates, I _seriously_ doubt a student, hobbist or simply a
    > >> private can efford to pay for

    > > this standpoint does not change the law. you can wring hands and debate
    > > all day but it is still theft by legal definition.
    > >
    > > "i do not agree with the prices therefore i am entitled to steal" is a
    > > rather lame standpoint no matter how you slice it.

    > Did I say something about stealing/copying?
    >
    > > a poor starving student(tm) surely cannot afford a 60,000 sports car
    > > either so can he just walk away with one off the lot and justify that?
    > >
    > > if you cannot afford your hobby find a new one or take the TUXENOMICS
    > > elsewhere.

    > The poor-starving-student(tm) will remember how nice was working with
    > closed-source-and-yet-unaffordable-software(r) and take TUXECONOMICS
    > into consideration TWO times, at least.
    >
    > Where do you think unix has evolved most? In production like windoze?
    > I say that such "giants" like SGI should take care of motivated
    > professionals AND students or it will soon be dead.
    >
    > FYI, I'M a poor-starving-student(tm), and I sold one eye to keep my
    > machine updated this year.

    cool, i'll give you a REDHAT cd for the other one!

    > But, I think this was discuted several times in several threads, so I
    > won't put a word more. My point is: don't kill him, just point it to the
    > right direction.
    >
    > NOTE: poor-starving-student(tm),
    > closed-source-and-yet-unaffordable-software(r) and TUXECONOMICS are
    > copyright of theyr respective owners.
    >
    > --
    > __/ __, wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" http://www.yuv.info/
    > / \__/ \ HPC and Engineering: bringing BITs to life!
    > \__/ \_ WARNING: the email address is fake.

  14. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    IRIX Central wrote:

    > wave++ wrote:
    >
    >>>you are dancing on thin ice...

    >>Every time someone asks for software on this group they shoot at him. At
    >>current SGI rates, I _seriously_ doubt a student, hobbist or simply a
    >>private can efford to pay for

    > this standpoint does not change the law. you can wring hands and debate
    > all day but it is still theft by legal definition.
    >
    > "i do not agree with the prices therefore i am entitled to steal" is a
    > rather lame standpoint no matter how you slice it.
    >
    > a poor starving student(tm) surely cannot afford a 60,000 sports car
    > either so can he just walk away with one off the lot and justify that?

    Cosmos never ceases to amaze me. Between his utter hatred of the
    mere mention of the L word, he comes up with some extremely well
    crafted and absolutely true zingers like the above. Good job,
    Cosmos.

    That being said, I can personally say that I've never bought one
    of Microsoft's products, yet I have all the latest crap (SW)for my
    desktop PeeCees. Yet somehow, I don't feel like a thief, even
    though I suppose I am, by definition.

    Come to think of it, I guess I did buy a copy of Flight Simulator
    for Winbloze about 10 years ago, so I have paid my dues to the
    almighty M$.

    --
    gd.

  15. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    "Mario Schödler" wrote in message news:...
    > And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    > (I just want to try to find a version)

    do not listen to these anti open source people!

    you should probably find and install Linux for MIPS since you do not
    want to waste your time with IRIX which is not going to be around much
    longer.

    and if no help from people such as this just ask nekochan forums for
    linux on sgi help

    peace

  16. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    Linux on SGI User wrote:
    > "Mario Schödler" wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    >>(I just want to try to find a version)
    >>

    > do not listen to these anti open source people!
    >
    > you should probably find and install Linux for MIPS since you do not
    > want to waste your time with IRIX which is not going to be around much
    > longer.
    >
    > and if no help from people such as this just ask nekochan forums for
    > linux on sgi help
    >
    > peace

    Is that all you Linux guys can do? Spew aggressive messages across
    newsgroups? Tired of insulting the "n00bs" in the Linux newsgroups maybe?

    I know quite a few good Linux developers who are not like that at all,
    did they banish you?

    Grow up! Being passionate about something is great, but the tune needs
    to change every now and then or it gets boring and annoying... Those of
    us interested in Linux know where to find its newsgroups! Not sure what
    you're accomplishing besides polluting our inboxes with your insults...

    BTW, can you imagine the amount of death threats Mario would have
    received from a Linux newsgroup if he had a request judged insulting as
    his IRIX question is to the IRIX community? You've got to admit that
    nobody really f lammed the guy here...

    Among the insults though, you offered something that seems to fit
    Mario's budget, so I'm sure he'll be happy about that... I'll be curious
    (read "interested") to know how it works...

    If you have some good interesting points to make, please make them,
    we'll listen. But people have a tendency of not listening to what you
    have to say when you start the discussion by spitting in their face...

    Being aggressive makes you look insecure, not intimidating...

    Another suggestion for Mario, still on the cheap side: 6.3 or 6.4 can
    probably be obtained for free directly from sgi...

    If it's really 6.5 that you need, $100 on eBay gets you 6.5; that isn't
    bad either...

  17. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    In article <5%3Sb.3312$VY1.2811@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
    UNIX Museum wrote:
    |> "Mario Schödler" wrote in message news:...

    |Another suggestion for Mario, still on the cheap side: 6.3 or 6.4 can
    |probably be obtained for free directly from sgi...

    6.4 won't work on Mario's O2.

    SGI USA and SGI Canada's policy would be not to provide even 6.3.
    SGI Europe can apparently sometimes be talked into it.
    --
    I predict that you will not trust this prediction.

  18. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    Linux on SGI User wrote:
    > "Mario Schödler" wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    >>(I just want to try to find a version)
    >>

    > do not listen to these anti open source people!
    >
    > you should probably find and install Linux for MIPS since you do not
    > want to waste your time with IRIX which is not going to be around much
    > longer.
    >
    > and if no help from people such as this just ask nekochan forums for
    > linux on sgi help
    >
    > peace

    Does the Linux MIPS port support the O2's graphics hardware? I don't
    think so.

    Regards

  19. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    Linux on SGI User wrote:

    > do not listen to these anti open source people!
    >
    > you should probably find and install Linux for MIPS since you do not
    > want to waste your time with IRIX which is not going to be around much
    > longer.

    Come back when the list of supported hardware/devices is actually
    larger than the unsupported list. That linux sgi port is a ****ing joke
    just like you.

    adios muchacho.

  20. Re: Where can I get Irix 6.5 ?

    Florian Bachmann wrote:
    > Linux on SGI User wrote:
    >
    >> "Mario Schödler" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> And what about the not so legal way to get Irix 6.5 just for me?
    >>> (I just want to try to find a version)
    >>>

    >> do not listen to these anti open source people!
    >>
    >> you should probably find and install Linux for MIPS since you do not
    >> want to waste your time with IRIX which is not going to be around much
    >> longer.
    >>
    >> and if no help from people such as this just ask nekochan forums for
    >> linux on sgi help
    >>
    >> peace

    > Does the Linux MIPS port support the O2's graphics hardware? I don't
    > think so.
    >
    > Regards

    It actually does. Seen it running X on last year´s Linutag in Karlsruhe.

    Holger

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast