Help! 320 Workstation standstill - SGI

This is a discussion on Help! 320 Workstation standstill - SGI ; Howdy All I need help with an old 320 workstation I picked up as a project. The 9.1Gb SCSI Drive was dead and a couple other things but I have gotten her up and running, upgraded the firmware, able to ...

  1. Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    Howdy All
    I need help with an old 320 workstation I picked up as a project. The 9.1Gb
    SCSI Drive was dead and a couple other things but I have gotten her up and
    running, upgraded the firmware, able to recognize a 20Gb ATA Drive and
    partition it through the firware but that is it! The next step is to load
    load system software through the firmware and it says put the disk in CD-ROM
    but when I put in a NT or W2K disk it specifically asks for the SGI NT Disk
    with the Motherboard drivers and NT on it and won't accept anything else. I
    have contacted SGI but they tell me they no longer support the 320
    Workstation, then sales hands me over to customer support who says they
    don't have any disks and hand me back to sales who say the same!!! hahaha! I
    have contacted several third party vendors who will sell me a refurbished
    320 workstation with the SGI NT Preloaded but not a copy of the disk! I
    understand the licensing of OS's is making it difficult to obtain but this
    seems silly. I own legal copies of every Windows OS's since W/95. SGI
    Probably has a stack of these disks in a warehouse someplace but can't be
    bothered or something, it seems a shame to throw a nice old machine like
    this in the scrapheap because I can't get an original SGI NT Driver disk.
    Can anyone help me with my search with either a backup of the disk or info
    on where I might obtain one, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
    kraig

  2. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    kraig wrote:
    > Howdy All
    > I need help with an old 320 workstation I picked up as a project. The 9.1Gb
    > SCSI Drive was dead and a couple other things but I have gotten her up and
    > running, upgraded the firmware, able to recognize a 20Gb ATA Drive and
    > partition it through the firware but that is it! The next step is to load
    > load system software through the firmware and it says put the disk in CD-ROM
    > but when I put in a NT or W2K disk it specifically asks for the SGI NT Disk
    > with the Motherboard drivers and NT on it and won't accept anything else. I
    > have contacted SGI but they tell me they no longer support the 320
    > Workstation, then sales hands me over to customer support who says they
    > don't have any disks and hand me back to sales who say the same!!! hahaha! I
    > have contacted several third party vendors who will sell me a refurbished
    > 320 workstation with the SGI NT Preloaded but not a copy of the disk! I
    > understand the licensing of OS's is making it difficult to obtain but this
    > seems silly. I own legal copies of every Windows OS's since W/95. SGI
    > Probably has a stack of these disks in a warehouse someplace but can't be
    > bothered or something, it seems a shame to throw a nice old machine like
    > this in the scrapheap because I can't get an original SGI NT Driver disk.
    > Can anyone help me with my search with either a backup of the disk or info
    > on where I might obtain one, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
    > kraig

    you should be able to install it from any win2k cd. the drivers can be
    downloaded from the sgi site.

    Holger

  3. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    Holger von Ameln wrote:
    > kraig wrote:
    >
    >> Howdy All
    >> I need help with an old 320 workstation I picked up as a project. The
    >> 9.1Gb
    >> SCSI Drive was dead and a couple other things but I have gotten her up
    >> and
    >> running, upgraded the firmware, able to recognize a 20Gb ATA Drive and
    >> partition it through the firware but that is it! The next step is to load
    >> load system software through the firmware and it says put the disk in
    >> CD-ROM
    >> but when I put in a NT or W2K disk it specifically asks for the SGI NT
    >> Disk
    >> with the Motherboard drivers and NT on it and won't accept anything
    >> else. I
    >> have contacted SGI but they tell me they no longer support the 320
    >> Workstation, then sales hands me over to customer support who says they
    >> don't have any disks and hand me back to sales who say the same!!!
    >> hahaha! I
    >> have contacted several third party vendors who will sell me a refurbished
    >> 320 workstation with the SGI NT Preloaded but not a copy of the disk! I
    >> understand the licensing of OS's is making it difficult to obtain but
    >> this
    >> seems silly. I own legal copies of every Windows OS's since W/95. SGI
    >> Probably has a stack of these disks in a warehouse someplace but can't be
    >> bothered or something, it seems a shame to throw a nice old machine like
    >> this in the scrapheap because I can't get an original SGI NT Driver disk.
    >> Can anyone help me with my search with either a backup of the disk or
    >> info
    >> on where I might obtain one, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
    >> kraig
    >>

    > you should be able to install it from any win2k cd. the drivers can be
    > downloaded from the sgi site.
    >
    > Holger

    Ditto!

    I installed mine like that, with a brand new 40GB ATA hard drive.
    I wasn't asked for the NT CD or anything like that... Once Win2K is
    installed, you'll have to add the sgi-goodies for Win2K and you should
    be just fine...

  4. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    I understand what you're saying and have the drivers and the SGI SSK W/2000
    downloaded, and have all previous OS paths deleted. (SCSI Died and is
    removed)My hardware inventory shows the floppy, CD-Rom, and ATA HD and is
    partitioned through the firmware, when I run Install system software it says
    to insert in CD-ROM and I put the W2K disk in, then it asks for the
    partition for system loader files, which is ATAPI IDE 0 Disk 0 partition 2 -
    I click accept, it says loading files then this pops up "Unable to start
    install, Please ensure that you have inserted the SGI install CD" and will
    not go any further! If I'm getting this right I am doing exactly what you
    did (loading W2K clean install) but you did not get this popup. I am at a
    loss then why mine won't load? My thinking right now is that if I could get
    the original SGI NT recovery disk and loaded that I could do an install W2K
    from the NT Desktop! Feeling frustrated in vintage SGI Land!
    "UNIX Museum" wrote in message
    > Holger von Ameln wrote:
    > > kraig wrote:
    > >
    > >> Howdy All
    > >> I need help with an old 320 workstation I picked up as a project. The
    > >> 9.1Gb
    > >> SCSI Drive was dead and a couple other things but I have gotten her up
    > >> and
    > >> running, upgraded the firmware, able to recognize a 20Gb ATA Drive and
    > >> partition it through the firware but that is it! The next step is to

    load
    > >> load system software through the firmware and it says put the disk in
    > >> CD-ROM
    > >> but when I put in a NT or W2K disk it specifically asks for the SGI NT
    > >> Disk
    > >> with the Motherboard drivers and NT on it and won't accept anything
    > >> else. I
    > >> have contacted SGI but they tell me they no longer support the 320
    > >> Workstation, then sales hands me over to customer support who says they
    > >> don't have any disks and hand me back to sales who say the same!!!
    > >> hahaha! I
    > >> have contacted several third party vendors who will sell me a

    refurbished
    > >> 320 workstation with the SGI NT Preloaded but not a copy of the disk! I
    > >> understand the licensing of OS's is making it difficult to obtain but
    > >> this
    > >> seems silly. I own legal copies of every Windows OS's since W/95. SGI
    > >> Probably has a stack of these disks in a warehouse someplace but can't

    be
    > >> bothered or something, it seems a shame to throw a nice old machine

    like
    > >> this in the scrapheap because I can't get an original SGI NT Driver

    disk.
    > >> Can anyone help me with my search with either a backup of the disk or
    > >> info
    > >> on where I might obtain one, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
    > >> kraig
    > >>

    > > you should be able to install it from any win2k cd. the drivers can be
    > > downloaded from the sgi site.
    > >
    > > Holger
    > >

    > Ditto!
    >
    > I installed mine like that, with a brand new 40GB ATA hard drive.
    > I wasn't asked for the NT CD or anything like that... Once Win2K is
    > installed, you'll have to add the sgi-goodies for Win2K and you should
    > be just fine...

  5. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    kraig wrote:
    > I understand what you're saying and have the drivers and the SGI SSK W/2000
    > downloaded, and have all previous OS paths deleted. (SCSI Died and is
    > removed)My hardware inventory shows the floppy, CD-Rom, and ATA HD and is
    > partitioned through the firmware, when I run Install system software it says
    > to insert in CD-ROM and I put the W2K disk in, then it asks for the
    > partition for system loader files, which is ATAPI IDE 0 Disk 0 partition 2 -
    > I click accept, it says loading files then this pops up "Unable to start
    > install, Please ensure that you have inserted the SGI install CD" and will
    > not go any further! If I'm getting this right I am doing exactly what you
    > did (loading W2K clean install) but you did not get this popup. I am at a
    > loss then why mine won't load? My thinking right now is that if I could get
    > the original SGI NT recovery disk and loaded that I could do an install W2K
    > from the NT Desktop! Feeling frustrated in vintage SGI Land!
    > "UNIX Museum" wrote in message
    >
    >>Holger von Ameln wrote:

    > load

    > refurbished

    > be

    > like

    > disk.

    >>>you should be able to install it from any win2k cd. the drivers can be
    >>>downloaded from the sgi site.
    >>>
    >>>Holger
    >>>

    >>Ditto!
    >>
    >>I installed mine like that, with a brand new 40GB ATA hard drive.
    >>I wasn't asked for the NT CD or anything like that... Once Win2K is
    >>installed, you'll have to add the sgi-goodies for Win2K and you should
    >>be just fine...

    Did you create a FAT partition for the arc loader?
    You might want to look at this
    http://www.btinternet.com/~sgi320/drives.htm, it offers very usefull
    information

  6. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    I know how that goes. It took me forever to get it right on mine. If you
    look here at the bottom of the page I have all the files from SGI in a
    single zip file: http://www.sgizone.net/machines/

    I run through the install as stated in the documentation and it created
    some boot floppies that I think get you through this problem.

    Good Luck,
    James

    --
    James Stanley

    http://www.sgizone.net

    " Windows 95: 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16
    bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a
    4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't
    stand 1 bit of competition."
    Keith Huff

  7. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    In news:b9hRb.1031$BY3.446@nwrddc01.gnilink.net, UNIX Museum wrote:

    > Did you create a FAT partition for the arc loader?

    You do not need to this. The documentation that came with the 320s was
    incorrect. The addendum to that documentation was also incorrect. All
    instructions related to creating a FAT partition for the arcloader were
    due to political issues at the time of the 320s release.

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  8. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    <<>> wrote:
    > In news:b9hRb.1031$BY3.446@nwrddc01.gnilink.net, UNIX Museum wrote:
    >

    >>Did you create a FAT partition for the arc loader?

    > You do not need to this. The documentation that came with the 320s was
    > incorrect. The addendum to that documentation was also incorrect. All
    > instructions related to creating a FAT partition for the arcloader were
    > due to political issues at the time of the 320s release.

    OK then, educate us, please!

  9. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    Yes Unix Museum! I have partitioned the 200Mb partition for the arc loader,
    through the PROM 1005, also the rest of the drive partitioned for the OS
    but although the partition is there it has not been formatted, correct?, and
    will not be formatted untill I can put a disk in the CDROM that will come
    back with a response other than "Unable to start install, Please ensure
    that you have inserted the SGI install CD" Although this is one of the most
    proprietary machines I have dealt with many others (SGI 320 users) seem to
    be able to load W2K without getting this prompt. I have the SSK for W2K but
    that is to be loaded after the install of the OS...correct?!! Also wanted to
    say thanks for the interest and help as noone is paying you, I would just
    love to get the old girl up and running which I have accomplished, although
    an Operating System would be nice!!!LOL thanks,
    kraig
    > <<>> wrote:
    > > In news:b9hRb.1031$BY3.446@nwrddc01.gnilink.net, UNIX Museum wrote:
    > >

    > >>Did you create a FAT partition for the arc loader?

    > > You do not need to this. The documentation that came with the 320s was
    > > incorrect. The addendum to that documentation was also incorrect. All
    > > instructions related to creating a FAT partition for the arcloader were
    > > due to political issues at the time of the 320s release.
    > >

    > OK then, educate us, please!

  10. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    > loader, through the PROM 1005, also the rest of the drive
    ^
    You need to flash PROM 1._1_005, then delete all entries in PROM's
    startup menu and try again partitioning your hd and installing from any
    vanilla win2k cd.

  11. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    Wolfram Schubert wrote:
    >>loader, through the PROM 1005, also the rest of the drive

    > ^
    > You need to flash PROM 1._1_005, then delete all entries in PROM's
    > startup menu and try again partitioning your hd and installing from any
    > vanilla win2k cd.

    Darn good catch! Didn't notice the PROM version!

  12. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    kraig wrote:
    > Yes Unix Museum! I have partitioned the 200Mb partition for the arc loader,
    > through the PROM 1005, also the rest of the drive partitioned for the OS
    > but although the partition is there it has not been formatted, correct?, and
    > will not be formatted untill I can put a disk in the CDROM that will come
    > back with a response other than "Unable to start install, Please ensure
    > that you have inserted the SGI install CD" Although this is one of the most
    > proprietary machines I have dealt with many others (SGI 320 users) seem to
    > be able to load W2K without getting this prompt. I have the SSK for W2K but
    > that is to be loaded after the install of the OS...correct?!! Also wanted to
    > say thanks for the interest and help as noone is paying you, I would just
    > love to get the old girl up and running which I have accomplished, although
    > an Operating System would be nice!!!LOL thanks,
    > kraig
    > "UNIX Museum" wrote in message
    >
    >><<>> wrote:

    >>>You do not need to this. The documentation that came with the 320s was
    >>>incorrect. The addendum to that documentation was also incorrect. All
    >>>instructions related to creating a FAT partition for the arcloader were
    >>>due to political issues at the time of the 320s release.
    >>>

    >>OK then, educate us, please!

    Thanks for the nice word... This box is just superb, the graphics are
    still unmatched in quality and scalability...

    We'll keep helping you until you get it running, don't worry...
    I'm sure it's a matter of having the proper (i.e. latest version of
    everything) and follow the directions... I guaranty you don't need the
    original sgi NT CD, you can do a fresh Win2K install from a plain old
    Microsoft CD... It looks like now that Wolfram noticed the PROM version
    mismatch, you should have eveything you need...

    You should be able to get it running soon... Unless you have another
    political agenda in mind :-D

  13. Re: Help! 320 Workstation standstill

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:51:32 GMT, "<<>>" wrote:

    >In news:b9hRb.1031$BY3.446@nwrddc01.gnilink.net, UNIX Museum wrote:
    >
    >> Did you create a FAT partition for the arc loader?

    >You do not need to this. The documentation that came with the 320s was
    >incorrect. The addendum to that documentation was also incorrect. All
    >instructions related to creating a FAT partition for the arcloader were
    >due to political issues at the time of the 320s release.

    Written with the glorious benefit on hindsight

    At the time it was written the documentation was correct. The only way SGI could
    ensure prom compatibility with future Microsoft filesystems was by having this
    FAT16 boot partition.

    As it's turned out the prom can boot of the latest flavour NTFS so this
    precaution has proved not to be necessary.

+ Reply to Thread