Parallel make - SGI

This is a discussion on Parallel make - SGI ; Just for fun I played a bit with the parallel make feature on IRIX - with mixed results. The primary source I tried to compile was slang 1.4.4 which I use for ages now to compare compile speed of old ...

  1. Parallel make

    Just for fun I played a bit with the parallel make feature on IRIX -
    with mixed results. The primary source I tried to compile was slang 1.4.4
    which I use for ages now to compare compile speed of old UNIX iron.

    Here are the results, the question follows:

    4D/420 IRIX 5.3 make 4:46
    4D/420 " make -P 2:35
    Octane R10K IRIX 6.5 make 0:40 (Dual R10000/175)
    Octane R10K IRIX 6.5 make -P 0:40

    The question is rather obvious: Why is that being built in parallel
    on 5.3 and not on 6.5? The parallel make feature does work - I've
    confirmed that with a quick test building bash 2.04 (1:06 vs. 0:53
    (wow!)).

    It's not like that this is of any work relevance for me, but I'm
    somewhat curious. I guess I'll try the 4D/240 next. *g*

    Gerhard
    --
    Need a newsreader for your UNIX box?
    Get your slrn for HP-UX, IRIX, NetBSD/vax, SunOS/Solaris from

  2. Re: Parallel make

    On 2004-01-09, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
    > Just for fun I played a bit with the parallel make feature on IRIX -
    > with mixed results. The primary source I tried to compile was slang 1.4.4
    > which I use for ages now to compare compile speed of old UNIX iron.
    >
    > Here are the results, the question follows:
    >
    > 4D/420 IRIX 5.3 make 4:46
    > 4D/420 " make -P 2:35
    > Octane R10K IRIX 6.5 make 0:40 (Dual R10000/175)
    > Octane R10K IRIX 6.5 make -P 0:40
    >
    > The question is rather obvious: Why is that being built in parallel
    > on 5.3 and not on 6.5? The parallel make feature does work - I've
    > confirmed that with a quick test building bash 2.04 (1:06 vs. 0:53
    > (wow!)).

    Just tried here on 22f and it does work. Are you sure this is CPU time?

    --
    wave++ (also known, in some places, as "Yuri D'Elia") http://www.yuv.info/
    WARNING: the email address is fake!

  3. Re: Parallel make

    On 10 Jan 2004 22:19:11 GMT, wave++ wrote:
    > Just tried here on 22f and it does work. Are you sure this is CPU time?

    Yes, pretty much. Using osview I could see that during the compilation
    of bash both CPUs were used (overall idle ~1%) while in the case of slang
    only one was made use of (overall idle ~50%).

    Gerhard

+ Reply to Thread