Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont... - SGI

This is a discussion on Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont... - SGI ; Well, my lack of Unix knowledge has led me to lead you all astray. I need a program that will not create a new Xterm session remotely, but to actually interact with the desktop that is shown on the monitor ...

  1. Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont...

    Well, my lack of Unix knowledge has led me to lead you all astray. I need a
    program that will not create a new Xterm session remotely, but to actually
    interact with the desktop that is shown on the monitor connected to the
    remote Fuel system. i.e., similar to pcAnywhere on the pc, but not Terminal
    Services on the pc.

    Any suggestions? I assume this is not currently possible as all searches
    have led me to nowhere. Thanks to all of you who have offered advice, and
    to Brent Casavant with the help on installing packages..

    Thanks,
    joe

  2. Re: Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont...

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:53:31 -0500, "Willie Nelson"
    wrote:

    >Well, my lack of Unix knowledge has led me to lead you all astray. I need a
    >program that will not create a new Xterm session remotely, but to actually
    >interact with the desktop that is shown on the monitor connected to the
    >remote Fuel system. i.e., similar to pcAnywhere on the pc, but not Terminal
    >Services on the pc.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    This is exactly what vnc as previously mentioned does.

    The unix implementation however doesn't currently support remote screen :0 but
    it can be done by running a local vncviewer/server pair. It's all explained in
    the FAQ at www.realvnc.com

  3. Re: Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont...

    Neil Rothwell wrote:
    > This is exactly what vnc as previously mentioned does.
    >
    > The unix implementation however doesn't currently support remote screen :0 but
    > it can be done by running a local vncviewer/server pair. It's all explained in
    > the FAQ at www.realvnc.com

    And it doesn't support many native SGI graphics apps, especially
    anything with OpenGL.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  4. Re: Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont...

    Dans article <3FFE3F5F.5000901@reputable.com>, gdouglas@reputable.com
    disait...

    > And it doesn't support many native SGI graphics apps, especially
    > anything with OpenGL.

    Actually nothing will support them, except networked SGI machines using
    X.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  5. Re: Remote Control of Irix Desktop, cont...

    Willie Nelson wrote:
    > desktop that is shown on the monitor connected to the
    > remote Fuel system. i.e., similar to pcAnywhere on the pc, but not Terminal
    > Services on the pc.

    tightvnc from freeware will do the job, it free and there are clients
    for any platform, it is also compatible with normal VNC protocol.

    hth
    r15k

+ Reply to Thread