I hate to ask, but... - SGI

This is a discussion on I hate to ask, but... - SGI ; I'm a high school student, and I can't exactly afford to pay $1600 for a support contract just to get IRIX 6.5.22f. Would any of you be willing to provide me with this? I've checked eBay, various (ick) peer-to-peer services, ...

  1. I hate to ask, but...

    I'm a high school student, and I can't exactly afford to pay $1600 for a
    support contract just to get IRIX 6.5.22f. Would any of you be willing
    to provide me with this? I've checked eBay, various (ick) peer-to-peer
    services, asked numerous friends in college--I've pretty much exhausted
    my options.

    I'd also like MIPSpro 7.4 C/C++ and WorldView Japanese, but I think I'm
    already asking too much. Any, er, "donations" would be greatly
    appreciated.

    I'm only using this machine for personal stuff, nothing commercial.
    Dunno if that makes any difference or not, but I figured I'd mention it.

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark Laws mdl@60hz.org
    http://www.60hz.org

    Mark Laws mdl@60hz.org
    http://www.60hz.org

  2. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    Mark Laws wrote:
    > I'm a high school student, and I can't exactly afford to pay $1600 for a
    > support contract just to get IRIX 6.5.22f. Would any of you be willing
    > to provide me with this? I've checked eBay, various (ick) peer-to-peer
    > services, asked numerous friends in college--I've pretty much exhausted
    > my options.
    >
    > I'd also like MIPSpro 7.4 C/C++ and WorldView Japanese, but I think I'm
    > already asking too much. Any, er, "donations" would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    apparently you have mistaken this newsgroup for alt.warez.irix

    in other words get lost ****nut.

    cheers.

  3. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 04:25:15 -0600,
    IRIX Central , in
    wrote:
    >+ Mark Laws wrote:
    >+ > I'm a high school student, and I can't exactly afford to pay $1600 for a

    >+ apparently you have mistaken this newsgroup for alt.warez.irix
    >+
    >+ in other words get lost ****nut.

    Oh, there's a winning attitude.

    I suppose I could point out to the young man that he can get all that
    if he simply ditches the SGI antiques and goes for GNU/Linux he could
    get all that for free, but then purists here would howl like stuck
    wargs, so I won't.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  4. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    > I suppose I could point out to the young man that he can get all that
    > if he simply ditches the SGI antiques and goes for GNU/Linux he could
    > get all that for free, but then purists here would howl like stuck
    > wargs, so I won't.

    And while saying that, you actually did

    The real question which needs to be asked is why he desperately needs
    6.5.22, female stream no less, and why he wouldn't be content with
    6.5.17m (or 6.5.19m, dunno which is freely available now).

    --
    Disclaimer: my boss and I never agree.
    "I want a sitting duck serving as a scapegoat for my guinea pig!"

  5. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    > >+ Mark Laws wrote:
    > >+ > I'm a high school student, and I can't exactly afford to pay $1600

    for a

    > >+ apparently you have mistaken this newsgroup for alt.warez.irix
    > >+
    > >+ in other words get lost ****nut.

    > Oh, there's a winning attitude.
    >
    > I suppose I could point out to the young man that he can get all that
    > if he simply ditches the SGI antiques and goes for GNU/Linux he could
    > get all that for free, but then purists here would howl like stuck
    > wargs, so I won't.

    Well, if he has the IRIX foundation cd's he would be able to get the latest
    maintenance release with a supportfolio account that SGI might give
    him for free (as in beer).

    Linux doesn't run that well on some SGI machines (like R10000 O2s) and
    support for graphics is much better with IRIX, so I suppose it depends on
    the intended use whether Linux is an option.

    --ms

  6. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:25:15AM -0600, IRIX Central wrote:
    > apparently you have mistaken this newsgroup for alt.warez.irix

    Please use proper Usenet hierarchies in your attempted witticisms,
    e.g. alt.binaries.warez.irix.

    > in other words get lost ****nut.
    >
    > cheers.

    Oh, ok.

    Let's take a look at this choice page you have on your site
    (www.irixcentral.com/downloads/commercial.html), Mr. Anti-Warez
    Crusader. KPT, eh? It's "ABANDONWARE," though, so of course it's no
    longer protected by any copyrights or anything!

    "It is up to the end user to aquire the appropriate licenses and/or
    right to use agreement for these products."

    While you're at it, why don't you add the usual "I'M NOT BREAKING THE
    LAW BY PROVIDING THESE BECAUSE THEY'RE ONLY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES AND
    YOU CAN LEGALLY USE THEM FOR 24 HOURS!!!"?

    You're a moron and a hypocrite. Please enjoy your complementary stay in
    the Killfile Hotel (tm).

    --
    Mark Laws mdl@60hz.org
    http://www.60hz.org

  7. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    I think that this may be a bit of an over reaction. Yeh asking peeps to do
    Illegal things is not on. But did he know any better? Getting the
    compilers isn't happening. Hell if I don't have any then why should
    someone elce get them for free lol. gcc works for me although I have some
    things that need the mips pro compiler but I just compile on my SGI's at
    oxford and copy the binarys accross :-). IRIX can be bought from ebay and
    I for one have a copy of 6.5 origional disks that I'm not running as I got
    6.5.18f with my Octane. I'm not sure if it's legal to sell or give away
    origional disks but I'm not running the code installed from these disks so
    perhaps it is?? I should check with Mr SGI and find out. 22F is not a
    sensible goal though. Someone from SGI gave me IRIX 6.2 for free with
    manuals :-) I'm sure there are old copies kicking about that people want
    to get shot of.

    Lets remember that it's ur geeks that won't let wonderful systems
    like die and dwindle. As long as we keep remembering that it's far nicer
    to work with and has far more class that linux then were still going to
    keep irix popular. I know since I got my first SGI I've loved them. I've
    since getting to know irix given SGI a bit of wonga. I've ordered a tonne
    of Octanes, a few O2's, an Onyx and an Origin 2000 :-) If SGI hadn't given
    me irix 6.2 to play with on my hardware I'd still be a mere linux geek
    buying Lintel systems from the evil Mr Dell.

    This does not mean am am for ripping off software. I'm dead against it but
    there must be a leagal method we can advise this chap of as to how he can
    get irix to play about with. He may in a number of years be writing out a
    multi-million pound order for an SGI :-)

    *********************
    Khalid Schofield
    System Administrator / EM Technician
    Dept. Of Materials
    University Of Oxford
    Parks Road
    Oxford
    OX1 3PH

    Tel: 01865 273785
    Fax: 01865 283333

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Mark Laws wrote:

    > I'm a high school student, and I can't exactly afford to pay $1600 for a
    > support contract just to get IRIX 6.5.22f. Would any of you be willing
    > to provide me with this? I've checked eBay, various (ick) peer-to-peer
    > services, asked numerous friends in college--I've pretty much exhausted
    > my options.
    >
    > I'd also like MIPSpro 7.4 C/C++ and WorldView Japanese, but I think I'm
    > already asking too much. Any, er, "donations" would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I'm only using this machine for personal stuff, nothing commercial.
    > Dunno if that makes any difference or not, but I figured I'd mention it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Laws mdl@60hz.org
    > http://www.60hz.org
    > --
    >
    > --
    > Mark Laws mdl@60hz.org
    > http://www.60hz.org

  8. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    Khamba Staring wrote:
    > The real question which needs to be asked is why he desperately needs
    > 6.5.22, female stream no less,

    LOL. That's hilarious, I'm going to have to remember that
    one, Maint. or Feature is actually Male or Female.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    Reputable Systems

  9. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    Greg Douglas wrote:

    > Khamba Staring wrote:
    >
    >> The real question which needs to be asked is why he desperately needs
    >> 6.5.22, female stream no less,

    > LOL. That's hilarious, I'm going to have to remember that
    > one, Maint. or Feature is actually Male or Female.

    yes its true, the female plant is the one whos buds are most potent.

    r15k

  10. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    Todd G. wrote:
    > $500 is all you need to get a copy of IRIX. And you'll have an Octane
    > to run it on.
    >
    > Buy an Octane from Greg Douglas for $325, and the IRIX CD's for $175
    > and you're all set. Am I correct Greg?
    >
    > Then get a freebie Supportfolio account from SGI and keep IRIX up to
    > date. Semi up to date.

    Why... that's absolutely correct Todd, thank you for pointing
    that out. The Octane would be only a 195 Mhz. R10000, with
    256MB RAM, a 4GB system disk, SGI keyboard and mouse, mousepad,
    US power cord, your choice of 9 different colors of LED lightbar,
    Reputable Systems screwdriver, and a 90 day
    warranty, but still, certainly usable. Tell them Todd said to
    throw in SGI granite colored speakers, and a lockbar for free,
    and I will. http://www.reputable.com

    Unfortunately, the latest Irix version I can provide is 6.5.12,
    but the set is complete.
    It includes Foundation 1, Foundation 2, Development Foundation,
    Development Libraries, Applications xx/yy, Install Tools and Overlays
    1/3, Overlays 2/3, Overlays 3/3, ONC3/NFS, Irix documentation disc,
    SNMP MIB for HPUX (does anyone actually USE this disc?), and a
    HotMix disc. One dozen original SGI media (CDROM discs)
    for one low price. You could get a brand new Toshiba XM6201B CDROM
    drive, in new external case, with cable and terminator for Octane,
    for only $180 additional.

    And as Todd so rigthfully pointed out, you just need to register for
    your free SupportFolio account at support.sgi.com to be able to download
    a fairly modern version (currently 6.5.19 as of 11 Jan. 2004) of the
    overlays (upgrade) discs.

    > Unless you're buying a $50K machine, I don't think you'll need a
    > support contract in a non-business environment.

    Not only that, but it would be a much better deal to buy a complete
    low end Octane at $325, rather than a hardware support contract with
    overnight replacement cost from SGI.

    --
    Greg Douglas
    shamelessly plugging reputable.com in c.s.s.misc

  11. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:30:11 +0000,
    Khalid Schofield , in
    wrote:

    >+ I think that this may be a bit of an over reaction. Yeh asking peeps to do
    >+ Illegal things is not on. But did he know any better?

    Of course he did. How old where you when your momma taught you not to
    steal? not old enough to use a computer? what I thought.

    If there where a legal way to get around this issue without forking
    over significant chuncks of change, it would be all over this
    newsgroup and the web, and googling for it would provide the relevant
    locations.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  12. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:30:11 +0000,
    > Khalid Schofield , in
    > wrote:
    >
    > >+ I think that this may be a bit of an over reaction. Yeh asking peeps to do
    > >+ Illegal things is not on. But did he know any better?

    > Of course he did. How old where you when your momma taught you not to
    > steal? not old enough to use a computer? what I thought.

    "peeps"

    continue...

    > If there where a legal way to get around this issue without forking
    > over significant chuncks of change, it would be all over this
    > newsgroup and the web, and googling for it would provide the relevant
    > locations.
    >
    > James
    > --
    > Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
    > I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
    > isn't looking good, either.
    > I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

    make mine a double!

  13. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    SkyWriter wrote:
    > I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:30:11 +0000,
    >> Khalid Schofield , in
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >+ I think that this may be a bit of an over reaction. Yeh asking peeps to do
    >> >+ Illegal things is not on. But did he know any better?

    >> Of course he did. How old where you when your momma taught you not to
    >> steal? not old enough to use a computer? what I thought.

    > "peeps"
    >
    > continue...

    i keep envisioning those marshmallow birds....

  14. Re: I hate to ask, but...

    IRIX Central wrote:

    > SkyWriter wrote:
    > > I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:30:11 +0000,
    > >> Khalid Schofield , in

    > >> Of course he did. How old where you when your momma taught you not to
    > >> steal? not old enough to use a computer? what I thought.

    > > "peeps"
    > >
    > > continue...
    > >

    > i keep envisioning those marshmallow birds....

    And Easter is just around the corner! Well, kind of.

+ Reply to Thread