MJPEG-A with dmrecord? - SGI

This is a discussion on MJPEG-A with dmrecord? - SGI ; Hi all, Is there any sort of workaround to get dmrecord to capture as mjpeg-a? Nothing in the man page AFAIK . MediaRecorder will do it, but i'm having a love/hate relationship with it (mostly hate). When I do get ...

  1. MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    Hi all,

    Is there any sort of workaround to get dmrecord to capture as mjpeg-a?
    Nothing in the man page AFAIK. MediaRecorder will do it, but i'm
    having a love/hate relationship with it (mostly hate). When I do get
    it to cooperate, the resulting files can be opened in Quicktime on a
    mac without any problems.

    Alternatively, is there a way to convert O2 capured AVI files under
    Mac OS X to Quicktime files (or any format that is supported by FCP)?
    Something that won't take 40hours to convert 50mins of footage (a la
    Discreet Cleaner).

    I've tried ffmpegx to convert the AVI files to MPEG2's. Speed was
    good, but the resulting file had problems (major pixelization in some
    areas and bright green noise in some frames, the deinterlacing wasn't
    so hot either).

    Any tips/advice/help would be appreciated.

    SGI O2, 175mhz R10K, 512megs Ram.

  2. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    dgerard@colba.net (gotroot2003) wrote:
    > Is there any sort of workaround to get dmrecord to capture as mjpeg-a?

    As far as I know, it already can. I've done it fine. I notice you
    have an R10K/175 - not sure whether that's quite good enough to do
    it reliably. Does seem to cause a bit more overhead (and longer post-
    processing) then MJPEG.

    > Nothing in the man page AFAIK. MediaRecorder will do it, but i'm
    > having a love/hate relationship with it (mostly hate). When I do get

    Use command line dmrecord, not MediaRecorder.

    Also, turn off mediad and the web server, to help prevent the CPU
    being interupted so much.

    > Alternatively, is there a way to convert O2 capured AVI files under
    > Mac OS X to Quicktime files (or any format that is supported by FCP)?

    Why not just capture as QuickTime in the first instance? I thought that
    was the default format anyway. I've been converted the movies to AVI
    using RAD Video Tools and then to DivX with good results using Dr. DivX
    and/or VirtualDub.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

  3. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) wrote in message news:...
    > dgerard@colba.net (gotroot2003) wrote:
    > > Is there any sort of workaround to get dmrecord to capture as mjpeg-a?

    > As far as I know, it already can. I've done it fine. I notice you
    > have an R10K/175 - not sure whether that's quite good enough to do
    > it reliably. Does seem to cause a bit more overhead (and longer post-
    > processing) then MJPEG.

    Hmmm.... What flags are you using to make it record as MJPEG-A? Any
    time I've tried capturing with dmrecord, the resulting files are
    unreadable on the Mac. I don't have this problem with MediaRecorder.
    I've been using variations on:

    dmrecord -p audio -p video,device=mvp,engine=ice,comp=jpeg,quality=90
    Movie.mov

    It's the comp=jpeg that's confusing me. Are there other flags for the
    O2 (Nothing in the man page AFAIK)? If this is the right set of
    commands, then why can't quicktime read the resulting files?

    So far the 175 seems to be working fine. I have to tweak the
    compression settings to avoid frame dropping. Usually 90-95 quality
    works. My Source is LaserDisc, so the quality of the source material
    doesn't seem to be an issue. I'll try sVHS eventually.

    ---Snip----

    > > Alternatively, is there a way to convert O2 capured AVI files under
    > > Mac OS X to Quicktime files (or any format that is supported by FCP)?

    > Why not just capture as QuickTime in the first instance? I thought that
    > was the default format anyway. I've been converted the movies to AVI
    > using RAD Video Tools and then to DivX with good results using Dr. DivX
    > and/or VirtualDub.

    Quicktime is my first choice (if I can manage to get MJPEG-A encoded
    files out of dmrecord, that is I don't have the disk realestate for
    uncompressed. I have found that I get fewer dropped frames with the -a
    handler (sometimes none!)

    Thanks!

  4. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    gotroot2003 wrote:

    > I've been using variations on:
    >
    > dmrecord -p audio -p video,device=mvp,engine=ice,comp=jpeg,quality=90
    > Movie.mov
    >
    > It's the comp=jpeg that's confusing me. Are there other flags for the
    > O2 (Nothing in the man page AFAIK)? If this is the right set of
    > commands, then why can't quicktime read the resulting files?

    same problem here, i posted a while ago but no answer.

    does ANYONE have a solution for this mjpeg problem ?

    thanks
    r15k

  5. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    gotroot2003 wrote:

    > Hmmm.... What flags are you using to make it record as MJPEG-A? Any
    > time I've tried capturing with dmrecord, the resulting files are
    > unreadable on the Mac. I don't have this problem with MediaRecorder.
    > I've been using variations on:
    >
    > dmrecord -p audio -p video,device=mvp,engine=ice,comp=jpeg,quality=90
    > Movie.mov
    >
    > It's the comp=jpeg that's confusing me. Are there other flags for the
    > O2 (Nothing in the man page AFAIK)? If this is the right set of
    > commands, then why can't quicktime read the resulting files?

    I can't tell you, your settings are right.
    I've been producing Quicktime MJPEG-A movies for years with:

    dmrecord - p video,device=mvp,comp=jpeg,engine=ice,quality=95 -p audio
    -I 75 -O 75 movie.mv

    the last two flags are undocumented buffer settings and have nothing to
    do with the file format.

    And every single clip opens just fine with Quicktime on my Mac

    Try to keep the compression settings odd, e.g. use 95 or 85 instead of
    90%. I had weird effects with even compression settings and importing
    the resulting files into applications on Mac or PC.

    Cheers
    Andreas

  6. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    -----Snip------

    > I can't tell you, your settings are right.
    > I've been producing Quicktime MJPEG-A movies for years with:
    >
    > dmrecord - p video,device=mvp,comp=jpeg,engine=ice,quality=95 -p audio
    > -I 75 -O 75 movie.mv
    >
    > the last two flags are undocumented buffer settings and have nothing to
    > do with the file format.
    >
    > And every single clip opens just fine with Quicktime on my Mac
    >
    > Try to keep the compression settings odd, e.g. use 95 or 85 instead of
    > 90%. I had weird effects with even compression settings and importing
    > the resulting files into applications on Mac or PC.

    Really wierd. Quicktime insists that it's "...missing software
    required to display this movie file...". Quite frustrating. You're not
    doing anything to the file once it's on the Mac/PC? Changing the
    FourCC code?

    Thanks again!

  7. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    gotroot2003 wrote:

    > Andreas Backhaus wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>gotroot2003 wrote:
    >>

    > -----Snip------
    >

    >>I can't tell you, your settings are right.
    >>I've been producing Quicktime MJPEG-A movies for years with:
    >>
    >>dmrecord - p video,device=mvp,comp=jpeg,engine=ice,quality=95 -p audio
    >>-I 75 -O 75 movie.mv
    >>
    >>the last two flags are undocumented buffer settings and have nothing to
    >>do with the file format.
    >>
    >>And every single clip opens just fine with Quicktime on my Mac
    >>
    >>Try to keep the compression settings odd, e.g. use 95 or 85 instead of
    >>90%. I had weird effects with even compression settings and importing
    >>the resulting files into applications on Mac or PC.
    >>

    > Really wierd. Quicktime insists that it's "...missing software
    > required to display this movie file...". Quite frustrating. You're not
    > doing anything to the file once it's on the Mac/PC? Changing the
    > FourCC code?

    nope, nothing except for transfering the file to the Mac.
    Did you check if the MJPEG-A codec is installed on your Mac? It comes as
    standard with Quicktime, so it should be. Are you using Quicktime Pro?
    I never tried that with standard Quicktime (though it should work).
    And, which IRIX release are you running?

    Cheers
    Andreas

  8. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    Andreas Backhaus wrote in message news:...
    > gotroot2003 wrote:
    >
    > > Andreas Backhaus wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > >>gotroot2003 wrote:
    > >>

    > > -----Snip------
    > >

    > >>I can't tell you, your settings are right.
    > >>I've been producing Quicktime MJPEG-A movies for years with:
    > >>
    > >>dmrecord - p video,device=mvp,comp=jpeg,engine=ice,quality=95 -p audio
    > >>-I 75 -O 75 movie.mv
    > >>
    > >>the last two flags are undocumented buffer settings and have nothing to
    > >>do with the file format.
    > >>
    > >>And every single clip opens just fine with Quicktime on my Mac
    > >>
    > >>Try to keep the compression settings odd, e.g. use 95 or 85 instead of
    > >>90%. I had weird effects with even compression settings and importing
    > >>the resulting files into applications on Mac or PC.
    > >>

    > > Really wierd. Quicktime insists that it's "...missing software
    > > required to display this movie file...". Quite frustrating. You're not
    > > doing anything to the file once it's on the Mac/PC? Changing the
    > > FourCC code?

    > nope, nothing except for transfering the file to the Mac.
    > Did you check if the MJPEG-A codec is installed on your Mac? It comes as
    > standard with Quicktime, so it should be. Are you using Quicktime Pro?
    > I never tried that with standard Quicktime (though it should work).
    > And, which IRIX release are you running?

    It appears as if the mjpeg-a codec is there. Files captured with
    MediaRecorder using MJPEG-A work fine. I'm using Quicktime Pro 6.5
    under OS X 10.3.2. On the O2, I'm running IRIX 6.5.22m. I'll try using
    FileBuddy to check the creator/filetype of a MediaRecord grab and
    compare it to a dmrecord grab. I'll post the results.

  9. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    gotroot2003 wrote:

    > It appears as if the mjpeg-a codec is there. Files captured with
    > MediaRecorder using MJPEG-A work fine. I'm using Quicktime Pro 6.5
    > under OS X 10.3.2. On the O2, I'm running IRIX 6.5.22m. I'll try using
    > FileBuddy to check the creator/filetype of a MediaRecord grab and
    > compare it to a dmrecord grab. I'll post the results.

    hm, that's indeed interesting. I'm running 6.5.19f, but that *should*
    not be the problem. Really, I've been using the dmrecord command line I
    posted earlier for years now and never had any problems with the
    captured footage as long as I kept the compression ratio at 75, 85 or 95%

    Cheers
    Andreas

  10. Re: MJPEG-A with dmrecord?

    Andreas Backhaus wrote in message news:...
    > gotroot2003 wrote:
    >
    > > It appears as if the mjpeg-a codec is there. Files captured with
    > > MediaRecorder using MJPEG-A work fine. I'm using Quicktime Pro 6.5
    > > under OS X 10.3.2. On the O2, I'm running IRIX 6.5.22m. I'll try using
    > > FileBuddy to check the creator/filetype of a MediaRecord grab and
    > > compare it to a dmrecord grab. I'll post the results.

    > hm, that's indeed interesting. I'm running 6.5.19f, but that *should*
    > not be the problem. Really, I've been using the dmrecord command line I
    > posted earlier for years now and never had any problems with the
    > captured footage as long as I kept the compression ratio at 75, 85 or 95%

    FileBuddy didn't help. Not surprisingly, both the MediaRecorder &
    dmrecord files have no creator or file types. Adding them doesn't make
    any difference to QuickTime. I tried the files on the PC too. Not
    readable there either. I have found that ffmpegX can read the files
    under OS X and convert them to MPEG 1, 2 or 4 streams. It processes
    much quicker than dmconvert too

    It looks as if I'm stuck with MediaRecorder if I want MJPEG files that
    are readable on a mac Could be worse I guess.

    Thanks for all the help everyone.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread