Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop? - SGI

This is a discussion on Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop? - SGI ; I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my other datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix? Thanks, joe...

  1. Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my other
    datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix?

    Thanks,
    joe

  2. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    Willie Nelson wrote:

    > I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my other
    > datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix?

    tightvnc from freeware is very good, i'd suggest tunneling through a
    secure connection though as you wouldnt want anybody peeking in on your
    session. clients are available for ANY platform, it is compatible with
    the VNC normal version.

    hth

    r15k

  3. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    In article ,
    r15k wrote:
    :Willie Nelson wrote:

    :> I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my other
    :> datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix?

    :tightvnc from freeware is very good, i'd suggest tunneling through a
    :secure connection though as you wouldnt want anybody peeking in on your
    :session. clients are available for ANY platform, it is compatible with
    :the VNC normal version.

    Is there a tightvnc or vnc *server* for IRIX yet? If not, then
    you won't be able to use it to control another IRIX system.
    --
    IEA408I: GETMAIN cannot provide buffer for WATLIB.

  4. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    I found TightVNC on the sgi.freeware site... Should do the trick.

    Thanks!
    "Willie Nelson" wrote in message
    > I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my

    other
    > datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > joe

  5. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    On 7 Jan 2004 16:27:18 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >r15k wrote:
    >:Willie Nelson wrote:
    >
    >:> I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my other
    >:> datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix?
    >
    >:tightvnc from freeware is very good, i'd suggest tunneling through a
    >:secure connection though as you wouldnt want anybody peeking in on your
    >:session. clients are available for ANY platform, it is compatible with
    >:the VNC normal version.
    >
    >Is there a tightvnc or vnc *server* for IRIX yet? If not, then
    >you won't be able to use it to control another IRIX system.

    fw_tightvnc-1.2.8.tardist contains both server & viewer

  6. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    I am downloading and running directly from the sgi.freeware site, but I get
    all kinds of messages about incompatible required libraries, etc (samba,
    libz, etc). Is there an easy way around this or do I need to look into each
    sub-package and install all their pre-requisites before I can install
    tightvnc? (or any other package for that matter)?

    Thanks,
    joe

    wrote:

    > >In article ,
    > >r15k wrote:
    > >:Willie Nelson wrote:
    > >
    > >:> I'm looking to be able to remotely control some of our Fuel's from my

    other
    > >:> datacenter. Is there any application like pcAnywhere for Irix?
    > >
    > >:tightvnc from freeware is very good, i'd suggest tunneling through a
    > >:secure connection though as you wouldnt want anybody peeking in on your
    > >:session. clients are available for ANY platform, it is compatible with
    > >:the VNC normal version.
    > >
    > >Is there a tightvnc or vnc *server* for IRIX yet? If not, then
    > >you won't be able to use it to control another IRIX system.

    > fw_tightvnc-1.2.8.tardist contains both server & viewer

  7. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Willie Nelson wrote:

    > I am downloading and running directly from the sgi.freeware site, but I get
    > all kinds of messages about incompatible required libraries, etc (samba,
    > libz, etc). Is there an easy way around this or do I need to look into each
    > sub-package and install all their pre-requisites before I can install
    > tightvnc? (or any other package for that matter)?

    Browse to http://freeware.sgi.com/preqreq.cgi

    Select fw_tightvnc, and "all dependencies".

    Download all the dependencies it finds, along with fw_tightvnc, into
    a directory (/tmp/foo in the example below).

    # cd /tmp/foo
    # ls *.tardist | xargs -n 1 tar xvf
    # inst
    Inst> open /tmp/foo
    Inst> conflicts
    No conficts
    Inst> go

    If you get a conflict about fw_common.sw.security_fixes, that is simply
    a note to tell you that there is some known security problem with the
    package it complains about being incompatible with. Thus to indicate
    that you really are aware of this and want to proceed anyway:

    Inst> remove fw_common.sw.security_fixes
    Inst> conflicts
    No conflicts
    Inst> go

    Hope that helps,
    Brent

    --
    Brent Casavant bcasavan@sgi.com Forget bright-eyed and
    Operating System Engineer http://www.sgi.com/ bushy-tailed; I'm red-

  8. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    In news:6xXKb.5083$5M.113075@dfw-read.news.verio.net, Willie Nelson
    wrote:

    > I am downloading and running directly from the sgi.freeware site, but
    > I get all kinds of messages about incompatible required libraries,
    > etc (samba, libz, etc).

    Just install directly from freeware.sgi.com. All the dependencies will
    be easy to handle. Don't bother to download the package unless you want
    to archive it or something.

    And don't quote garbage.

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  9. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    Willie Nelson wrote:
    > I am downloading and running directly from the sgi.freeware site, but I get
    > all kinds of messages about incompatible required libraries, etc (samba,
    > libz, etc).

    I haven't run Xvnc in a while, but I can't imagine it would require
    samba.

    The prereq calculator says nothign about samba being a prereq for
    fw_tightvnc, where are you getting that message?

    --
    Greg Douglas
    http://www.reputable.com

  10. Re: Is there a product for Remote Control of Irix Desktop?

    No, I already have Samba running on the server. When doing the install, it
    mentions a few packages used by Samba, that's all..

    Thanks,
    joe

    "Greg Douglas" wrote in message

    > The prereq calculator says nothign about samba being a prereq for
    > fw_tightvnc, where are you getting that message?

+ Reply to Thread