Irix remote installation - SGI

This is a discussion on Irix remote installation - SGI ; Hello I have problems in installing Irix 6.5.19 from a remote directory on a linux maschine. Everything works fine til the Inst prompt. When I want to start reading cd1, the reading suddenly stops with the message ">my-server But after ...

  1. Irix remote installation

    Hello

    I have problems in installing Irix 6.5.19 from a remote directory on a linux
    maschine.
    Everything works fine til the Inst prompt.
    When I want to start reading cd1, the reading suddenly stops with the
    message ">my-server< is not responding retrying".
    But after a while and some tries no progress is displayed.

    All the other cds but the nfs cd end up in the same error.

    When I start "ethereal" on the linux maschine to monitor the net traffic an
    tftp error occured at the moment during reading.
    "disk full or allocation exeeded"

    It is 4 GB hdd so disk full obviously is not the reason (i guess)
    What means "allocation exeeded"?

    Some time ago I already tried it but don't finish the installation. There
    were no problems like these. So I don't know what was different in my
    procedure.
    On linux tftp, nfs (with the correct accessible directories ) and bootp
    demons are running correctly and in /etc/hosts the irix maschine with its ip
    is added.

    I hope it is enough for you for the first time to answer or question me.

    thanks in advance and happy new year
    Ralf

  2. Re: Irix remote installation

    In article ,
    Ralf Bednarz wrote:
    :I have problems in installing Irix 6.5.19 from a remote directory on a linux
    :maschine.
    :Everything works fine til the Inst prompt.
    :When I want to start reading cd1, the reading suddenly stops with the
    :message ">my-server< is not responding retrying".
    :But after a while and some tries no progress is displayed.

    :All the other cds but the nfs cd end up in the same error.

    :When I start "ethereal" on the linux maschine to monitor the net traffic an
    :tftp error occured at the moment during reading.
    :"disk full or allocation exeeded"

    :It is 4 GB hdd so disk full obviously is not the reason (i guess)
    :What means "allocation exeeded"?

    I have not seen that before, but I can think of two possibilities:

    1) It might mean that you are running out of RAM during the
    installation;

    2) It might mean that you have not created a large enough swap
    partition to hold temporary files durning the installation.

    Are you installing from the miniroot? If you are, then the
    miniroot operating system is temporarily copied into the swap
    partition (partition 1 on the hard disk), and you might not have
    left enough space for that to work properly.
    --
    "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

  3. Re: Irix remote installation

    "Walter Roberson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > In article ,
    > Ralf Bednarz wrote:
    > :I have problems in installing Irix 6.5.19 from a remote directory on a

    linux
    > :maschine.
    > :Everything works fine til the Inst prompt.
    > :When I want to start reading cd1, the reading suddenly stops with the
    > :message ">my-server< is not responding retrying".
    > :But after a while and some tries no progress is displayed.
    >
    > :All the other cds but the nfs cd end up in the same error.
    >
    > :When I start "ethereal" on the linux maschine to monitor the net traffic

    an
    > :tftp error occured at the moment during reading.
    > :"disk full or allocation exeeded"
    >
    > :It is 4 GB hdd so disk full obviously is not the reason (i guess)
    > :What means "allocation exeeded"?
    >
    > I have not seen that before, but I can think of two possibilities:
    >
    > 1) It might mean that you are running out of RAM during the
    > installation;
    >
    > 2) It might mean that you have not created a large enough swap
    > partition to hold temporary files durning the installation.
    >

    > Are you installing from the miniroot? If you are, then the
    > miniroot operating system is temporarily copied into the swap
    > partition (partition 1 on the hard disk), and you might not have
    > left enough space for that to work properly.

    First thanks for answering

    Yes I am trying to install from a miniroot. How large is a average
    miniroot?
    But why did it work some time ago with the same settings? That's the
    frustrating and confusing thing I cannot understand.

    Is there any additional help available except the futuretech sites?

    bye
    Ralf

    > --
    > "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    > Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."
    > -- Dr. Fletcher, Va. Polytechnic Inst. and St. Univ.

  4. Re: Irix remote installation

    In article ,
    Ralf Bednarz wrote:

    >But why did it work some time ago with the same settings? That's the
    >frustrating and confusing thing I cannot understand.

    So it's not the path MTU discovery problem, then? A while ago I posted
    some notes about my experiences installing 6.5.22m from a Linux server;
    google will have them.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  5. Re: Irix remote installation

    "David Evans" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > In article ,
    > Ralf Bednarz wrote:
    > >
    > >But why did it work some time ago with the same settings? That's the
    > >frustrating and confusing thing I cannot understand.
    > >

    > So it's not the path MTU discovery problem, then? A while ago I posted
    > some notes about my experiences installing 6.5.22m from a Linux server;
    > google will have them.

    First I am not sure if I found yout notes but I found one.
    Now i tried an installation without a miniroot but the same error occured.
    After the inst prompt it reads 30 - 40 % and then the error.

    Does the disk full error means that the server disk is full (perhaps some
    temp execution on the server) or the irix disk is full?
    I cannot imagine of both things because irix got a fresh disk and linux is
    a minimum installation (10% disk usage).

    When I type "from" at the inst prompt I get some previous install
    distibution.
    Is it possible to remove them or does it actually help?

    > --
    > David Evans

    dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    > Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie

    http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    > University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the

    composer
    > Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707

    Manual

  6. Re: Irix remote installation

    In article ,
    Ralf Bednarz wrote:

    >Does the disk full error means that the server disk is full (perhaps some
    >temp execution on the server) or the irix disk is full?
    >I cannot imagine of both things because irix got a fresh disk and linux is
    >a minimum installation (10% disk usage).

    How big is the swap partition on the soon-to-be SGI disk, though? I
    don't recall whether you said in your original post. I think mine was
    384MB or something like that. Is the / partition freshly newfs'd?

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  7. Re: Irix remote installation

    > In article ,
    > Ralf Bednarz wrote:
    > >
    > >Does the disk full error means that the server disk is full (perhaps some
    > >temp execution on the server) or the irix disk is full?
    > >I cannot imagine of both things because irix got a fresh disk and linux

    is
    > >a minimum installation (10% disk usage).
    > >

    > How big is the swap partition on the soon-to-be SGI disk, though? I
    > don't recall whether you said in your original post. I think mine was
    > 384MB or something like that. Is the / partition freshly newfs'd?

    I changed it from 128 MB up to 512 MB with no success.

    Here is a step by step procedure of how I try to make an installation:

    I made a new partition with

    boot -f bootp()server:cd1/stand/fx.ARCS --x

    - dksc0
    - drive1
    - fs is xfs

    After this the default swap partition is 128 MB (with option "resize"
    changed it to 512 MB)

    Then after rebooting with

    boot -f bootp()server:cd1/dist/miniroot/unix.IP32

    a new fs is created
    1. /
    2. /realroot

    and then the inst prompt is shown

    With

    from server:/home/guest/cd1/dist
    (or apps, dev, dev_lib)

    I try to read the product information but it nearly stops at 34%.

    That's my complete path in trying to install irix6.5.20 on an O2.
    Perhaps there is somthing wrong in my actions.

    thanks
    Ralf

    > --
    > David Evans

    dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    > Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie

    http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    > University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the

    composer
    > Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707

    Manual

  8. Re: Irix remote installation

    Ralf Bednarz schrieb:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have problems in installing Irix 6.5.19 from a remote directory on a linux
    > maschine.
    > Everything works fine til the Inst prompt.
    > When I want to start reading cd1, the reading suddenly stops with the
    > message ">my-server< is not responding retrying".
    > But after a while and some tries no progress is displayed.
    >
    > All the other cds but the nfs cd end up in the same error.
    >
    > When I start "ethereal" on the linux maschine to monitor the net traffic an
    > tftp error occured at the moment during reading.
    > "disk full or allocation exeeded"
    >
    > It is 4 GB hdd so disk full obviously is not the reason (i guess)
    > What means "allocation exeeded"?

    Can you run the tftp server with debugging/verbose output? I vaguely
    remember I had to hack the sources of my (RedHat 9) tftp server because
    it would not accept some commands from the SGI machine that were not
    properly terminated with a zero byte, or something like that.

    Regards

  9. Re: Irix remote installation

    "Florian Bachmann" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Can you run the tftp server with debugging/verbose output? I vaguely
    > remember I had to hack the sources of my (RedHat 9) tftp server because
    > it would not accept some commands from the SGI machine that were not
    > properly terminated with a zero byte, or something like that.
    >
    > Regards

    That was not the error. I suppose it is another error.
    I have the original cd's of IRIX 6.3 and copied the first cd on my linux
    server to try if it is possible to install an older version of IRIX. The
    version I have tried all the days is 6.5.20. I read that you need the base
    6.5 cd's if you want to install a version above 6.5. Is this correct or is
    it not required?
    The test installation with IRIX 6.3 work well over the network but the
    6.5.20 does not.

    I mkfs'ed the disk and tried to tftp from the admin mode to connect to the
    installation server. Then I tried to get the sa file to test if it is
    possible to get a big file from the server to the client and after a little
    reading the client says "disk full" but there is nothing on it. That would
    explain the tftp error I can see with ethereal on linux.
    But the installation of 6.3 is a perfect installation as I want to have an
    installation to be.

    Do I need the base 6.5 cd's to install my 6.5.20, or is it possible to
    upgrade directly from a running 6.3 to 6.5.20 OS version?

    Some help or I go crazy, thanks

  10. Re: Irix remote installation

    Hi Ralf,

    I'm also trying to install irix remotely to my humble indy from a
    linux box.

    i've setup the tftp and bootp, but when i type "boot -f
    bootp()server:/unix" on the miniroot, the indy just say that it gave
    up trying... and on the linux logs (i'm running bootpd with "-d 4" for
    maximum verbosity) i have:

    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: recvd pkt from IP addr 0.0.0.0
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: bootptab mtime: Mon Jan 26
    02:33:49 2004
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: request from Ethernet address
    08:00:69:09:26:77
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: found 192.168.0.200 (iris)
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: requested path="" file="unix"
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: bootfile="/unix"
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: vendor magic field is 0.0.0.0
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: sending reply (with no options)
    Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: setarp 192.168.0.200 -
    08:00:69:09:26:77

    those lines appear 3 times... so i think that the indy is trying to
    get an answer that the linux server never gives.
    Monitoring the network, all conections between those machines are on
    UDP port 67 and 68. Both from bootp, wich makes me think that the tftp
    had no change to do anything...

    Any ideia what i can do? Maybe you can send your's /etc/bootptab? the
    ones i find on the net are for the irix version (wich is way behind
    the ones found on linux) ... or just post your log from bootpd running
    with "-d 4". I'd appreciate any help.

    Thanks,
    Gabriel

  11. Re: Irix remote installation

    google groups for
    linux bootp comp.sys.sgi.*

    and read

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bo...p:comp.sys.sgi
    ..*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=272a4ef3.0205231535.572ff02b%40postin
    g.google.com&rnum=7

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bo...p:comp.sys.sgi
    ..*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3811E355.B77198D2%40waves.esd.mun.ca&
    amp;rnum=2

    HTH
    Rainer

    Am 26.01.04, 06:17:29, schrieb google@nazsco.com.br (Gabriel B.) zum
    Thema Re: Irix remote installation:

    > Hi Ralf,

    > I'm also trying to install irix remotely to my humble indy from a
    > linux box.

    > i've setup the tftp and bootp, but when i type "boot -f
    > bootp()server:/unix" on the miniroot, the indy just say that it gave
    > up trying... and on the linux logs (i'm running bootpd with "-d 4" for
    > maximum verbosity) i have:

    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: recvd pkt from IP addr 0.0.0.0
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: bootptab mtime: Mon Jan 26
    > 02:33:49 2004
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: request from Ethernet address
    > 08:00:69:09:26:77
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: found 192.168.0.200 (iris)
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: requested path="" file="unix"
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: bootfile="/unix"
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: vendor magic field is 0.0.0.0
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: sending reply (with no options)
    > Jan 26 02:34:22 herman bootpd[421]: setarp 192.168.0.200 -
    > 08:00:69:09:26:77

    > those lines appear 3 times... so i think that the indy is trying to
    > get an answer that the linux server never gives.
    > Monitoring the network, all conections between those machines are on
    > UDP port 67 and 68. Both from bootp, wich makes me think that the tftp
    > had no change to do anything...

    > Any ideia what i can do? Maybe you can send your's /etc/bootptab? the
    > ones i find on the net are for the irix version (wich is way behind
    > the ones found on linux) ... or just post your log from bootpd running
    > with "-d 4". I'd appreciate any help.

    > Thanks,
    > Gabriel

+ Reply to Thread