diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server? - SGI

This is a discussion on diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server? - SGI ; Hi groups, has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

  1. diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    Hi groups,

    has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    that helps.

    Thanks in advance and merry xmas.

    P.

  2. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    silverdr wrote:

    Hi all,

    > has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    > setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    > would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    > as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    > that helps.


    to generalize the question even more:

    is it possible at all, to run a SGI (e.g a INDY)

    a) diskless and
    b) headless ?

    kind regards,
    karen.

  3. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    In comp.sys.sgi.misc guest@freeterm11.ic-d.ca wrote:
    > silverdr wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    >> has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >> setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    >> would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    >> as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    >> that helps.

    >
    > to generalize the question even more:
    >
    > is it possible at all, to run a SGI (e.g a INDY)
    >
    > a) diskless and
    > b) headless ?


    absolutely. i have a pile of indy parts here. they are all "running"
    diskless and headless. some would argue they are more productive than
    your average linux box.

    but back to your question... can i ask, why you would want to?


  4. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    IRIX Central wrote:

    > but back to your question... can i ask, why you would want to?


    I picked up a half dozen of dumped indies for free. Most of them are quite
    old and 'low spec' (R4k, 100MHz), but I think they are still sufficient for
    some easy tasks, like web- & fileserving on a dsl line. I just don't want to
    increase the noiselevel with each machine I add. Decoding music, running
    netscape and compiling someting in the background is a little bit too much
    to do at once, even for a R5k Indy

    Beside this, a (diskless) R5k seems to do quite well as living room music &
    i-net radio player with XMMS, due to it's digital output.

    ciao, karen.

  5. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    silverdr wrote:
    > Hi groups,
    >
    > has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    > setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    > would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    > as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    > that helps.
    >
    > Thanks in advance and merry xmas.
    >
    > P.


    try to find this documentation
    Diskless_Worstation_Admin_Guide-(007-0855-060).pdf with a kind of
    edonkey. I get it at home.


  6. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    Denis S. wrote:

    >> has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >> setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now I
    >> would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the net
    >> as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD server if
    >> that helps.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance and merry xmas.
    >>
    >> P.

    >
    >
    > try to find this documentation
    > Diskless_Worstation_Admin_Guide-(007-0855-060).pdf with a kind of
    > edonkey. I get it at home.
    >


    I got it (AFAIR with the web browser from SGI) and that was the place,
    where I found a sentence saying:

    A diskless server must be running an IRIX release that is the same as or
    later than the IRIX release used by any of its clients.

    hence I asked the question if there were any real quirks behind it.

    BR.

  7. Re: diskless IRIX 6.5 booting from non-SGI server?

    silverdr wrote:
    > Denis S. wrote:
    >
    >>> has anyone tried this what's in the subject? I have currently a nice
    >>> setup for diskless clients, which works with a GNU/Linux server. Now
    >>> I would like to add to SGIs to the setup and boot them over from the
    >>> net as well. Any experiences / links? I may also switch to a BSD
    >>> server if that helps.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance and merry xmas.
    >>>
    >>> P.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> try to find this documentation
    >> Diskless_Worstation_Admin_Guide-(007-0855-060).pdf with a kind of
    >> edonkey. I get it at home.
    >>

    >
    > I got it (AFAIR with the web browser from SGI) and that was the place,
    > where I found a sentence saying:
    >
    > A diskless server must be running an IRIX release that is the same as or
    > later than the IRIX release used by any of its clients.
    > hence I asked the question if there were any real quirks behind it.
    >
    > BR.


    When I read this documentation, it seems to insist about the Irix being
    served, not the Irix server. I didn't see in the doc it needs some
    specific server files or programs.
    To make an installation of Irix, you must be under Irix, but after, it
    would be possible to copy all the client tree to another unix like
    server runing bootp,tftp,bootparams and nfs to serve an Irix client tree
    for booting a SGI diskless station.
    I don't know if it is really possible, I'll try myself with my Indigo2
    from a FreeBSD server this week end.


+ Reply to Thread