Irix 6.5.22 update experience and HOWTO - SGI

This is a discussion on Irix 6.5.22 update experience and HOWTO - SGI ; Hello, I had Irix 6.5.17 base installed and already upgraded that to Irix 6.5.21m. One caveat (apart from installing patch 5086) was that swmgr wouldn't work - I only managed to satisfactory change streams by using "inst", selecting the m-stream ...

  1. Irix 6.5.22 update experience and HOWTO

    Hello,

    I had Irix 6.5.17 base installed and already upgraded that to Irix
    6.5.21m. One caveat (apart from installing patch 5086) was that swmgr
    wouldn't work - I only managed to satisfactory change streams by using
    "inst", selecting the m-stream and then installing the recommended
    packages.

    Okay, here now my experience with Irix 6.5.22m (the downloaded
    version). My machine is an Octane MXE, R12K 300Mhz, 1GB RAM, XLV
    internal SCSI RAID and the PVO board (personal video option for
    Octane):

    First of all, unpacked all tar.gz files into a large directory,
    invoked swmgr and pointed it to the files. The main problem (as
    always) was the PVO-card - eight conflicts. I opened the "unbundled"
    directory which contains updated drivers for additional hardware but
    to no avail. To solve the conflicts I needed the following CDs (in
    that order)

    Octane PVO drivers
    Foundation 2
    6.5.17 Overlays Disk 4 of 4

    After that, an hour and a reboot later my system is now updated and
    working fine. The only grievance I have is with the sgi music player -
    what an utter waste of scarce programming time and a crap application
    to boot! How about a proper DVD player or some new media codecs
    instead?

  2. Re: Irix 6.5.22 update experience and HOWTO

    In article <4eaa19ed.0311140705.3e4329e8@posting.google.com>,
    assyrix@altavista.net (Assam Syrix) writes:

    > After that, an hour and a reboot later my system is now updated and
    > working fine. The only grievance I have is with the sgi music player -
    > what an utter waste of scarce programming time and a crap application
    > to boot! How about a proper DVD player or some new media codecs
    > instead?

    What exactly do you dislike on musicplayer ?
    I at least like it because:
    a.) plays every format the audiofile lib supports.
    b.) does volume && balance calculation internally
    (so even for digital-out it can adjust the volume)
    c.) very small memory footprint
    d.) can use all xmms skins
    e.) doesn't suck like xmms ! --- because it's not xmms.

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: Irix 6.5.22 update experience and HOWTO

    Wolfgang Szoecs wrote:
    > In article <4eaa19ed.0311140705.3e4329e8@posting.google.com>,
    > assyrix@altavista.net (Assam Syrix) writes:
    >
    >> After that, an hour and a reboot later my system is now updated and
    >> working fine. The only grievance I have is with the sgi music player -
    >> what an utter waste of scarce programming time and a crap application
    >> to boot! How about a proper DVD player or some new media codecs
    >> instead?

    > What exactly do you dislike on musicplayer ?
    > I at least like it because:
    > a.) plays every format the audiofile lib supports.
    > b.) does volume && balance calculation internally
    > (so even for digital-out it can adjust the volume)
    > c.) very small memory footprint
    > d.) can use all xmms skins
    > e.) doesn't suck like xmms ! --- because it's not xmms.

    Two things I prefer about xmms:
    a.) it has a pseudo minimise button which turns it into a thin strip
    b.) the snapto behaviour lets me move it to the edge of the screen easily
    and line up the playlist editor with the player nicely.

    I didn't realise that musicplayer could use xmms skins -- there's a
    simple blue/green one that I think is fairly non-ugly in the thin strip
    format.

    Ivan
    --
    Ivan Rayner
    ivanr@sgi.com

  4. Re: Irix 6.5.22 update experience and HOWTO

    wolfi@engr.sgi.com (Wolfgang Szoecs) wrote in message news:...

    > What exactly do you dislike on musicplayer ?

    a) It's a redundand piece of software.
    b) Hoses up unreasonable amounts of CPU power for such a small app.
    c) Looks crap on 1600x1024 - icons the size of a matchstick head.
    d) The window is not in 4dwm style.
    e) No CDDB queries, ogg-vorbis support or CD-ripping and burning.

+ Reply to Thread