irix 6.5.22 AA icons - SGI

This is a discussion on irix 6.5.22 AA icons - SGI ; Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons. Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now? Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp style. -- wave++ (also ...

  1. irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    --
    wave++ (also known, in some places, as "Yuri D'Elia") http://www.yuv.info/
    The email address is fake (thanks swen)! You know how to contact me anyway.

  2. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    wave++ wrote in message news:...
    > Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons.
    > Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now?
    > Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp
    > style.

    Off topic, but since you're using 6.5.22, have you played with "musicplayer" yet?

  3. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    On 2003-11-10, Colin Anderson wrote:
    >> Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons.
    >> Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now?
    >> Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp
    >> style.

    > Off topic, but since you're using 6.5.22, have you played with
    > "musicplayer" yet?

    Yes, a bit. It's almost identical to the classic XMMS/Winamp player,
    except that there isn't any working FFT visualizer and it lacks in
    configurability.

    Really, apart from the playlist and the "skinnable" look, I don't see
    anything special - mediaplayer at least looks like other apps (I don't
    like applications to use specialized widgets).

    Yet another winamp clone.

    --
    wave++ (also known, in some places, as "Yuri D'Elia") http://www.yuv.info/
    The email address is fake (thanks swen)! You know how to contact me anyway.

  4. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    wave++ wrote in message news:...
    > On 2003-11-10, Colin Anderson wrote:
    > >> Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons.
    > >> Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now?
    > >> Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp
    > >> style.

    > > Off topic, but since you're using 6.5.22, have you played with
    > > "musicplayer" yet?

    > Yes, a bit. It's almost identical to the classic XMMS/Winamp player,
    > except that there isn't any working FFT visualizer and it lacks in
    > configurability.
    >
    > Really, apart from the playlist and the "skinnable" look, I don't see
    > anything special - mediaplayer at least looks like other apps (I don't
    > like applications to use specialized widgets).
    >
    > Yet another winamp clone.

    I haven't yet tried it -- I'm still trying to download 6.5.22, I'm
    getting timeouts about half way thru download of parts 2 and 3. Does
    it seem like this player could be skinned to look like the rest of the
    IndigoMagic / IRIX Interactive Desktop applications? It'll be
    interesting to see how much CPU & RAM it consumes compared to XMMS.

    Maybe musicplayer is the start of some new, updated media tools. I
    can't really figure out why else this would have been rolled in.

  5. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    On 2003-11-11, Colin Anderson wrote:
    >> Yes, a bit. It's almost identical to the classic XMMS/Winamp player,
    >> except that there isn't any working FFT visualizer and it lacks in
    >> configurability.
    >>
    >> Really, apart from the playlist and the "skinnable" look, I don't see
    >> anything special - mediaplayer at least looks like other apps (I don't
    >> like applications to use specialized widgets).
    >>
    >> Yet another winamp clone.

    > I haven't yet tried it -- I'm still trying to download 6.5.22, I'm
    > getting timeouts about half way thru download of parts 2 and 3. Does
    > it seem like this player could be skinned to look like the rest of the
    > IndigoMagic / IRIX Interactive Desktop applications? It'll be
    > interesting to see how much CPU & RAM it consumes compared to XMMS.

    Don't know. Looks like the usual bitmap-based theme to me, with all the
    UI integration problem this gives. BTW, I think I will ask an option in
    supportfolio about disabling icon's AA.

    > Maybe musicplayer is the start of some new, updated media tools. I
    > can't really figure out why else this would have been rolled in.

    More than mpg123 certainly .

    But, sincerly, why do not intergrate XMMS instead of doing
    yet-another-winamp-clone? Being a TOY, there's nothing to loose.

    And I only HOPE that SGI isn't starting doing bitmap-based skins all
    around media tools. What an *improvement*. Add a playlist manager to
    mediaplayer instead!

    --
    wave++ (also known, in some places, as "Yuri D'Elia") http://www.yuv.info/
    The email address is fake (thanks swen)! You know how to contact me anyway.

  6. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    [...]
    > And I only HOPE that SGI isn't starting doing bitmap-based skins all
    > around media tools. What an *improvement*. Add a playlist manager to
    > mediaplayer instead!

    I agree. I don't like the interface at all. Also, it doesn't support
    drag-and-drop...

    --ms

  7. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    wave++ wrote:

    > But, sincerly, why do not intergrate XMMS instead of doing
    > yet-another-winamp-clone?

    Because of licensing issues? I wouldn't want to use anybody
    else's code for an MP3 player either, as writing one isn't
    the most complicated thing. Just look at the core of mpg123.
    It's reasonably simple, yet it works really well.

    Mika

  8. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    Martijn Sipkema wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    >>And I only HOPE that SGI isn't starting doing bitmap-based skins all
    >>around media tools. What an *improvement*. Add a playlist manager to
    >>mediaplayer instead!

    > I agree. I don't like the interface at all. Also, it doesn't support
    > drag-and-drop...

    Any chance this used to be called irixdivx perhaps?

    Erik

  9. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    Mika Kongas wrote:
    > wave++ wrote:
    >

    >>But, sincerly, why do not intergrate XMMS instead of doing
    >>yet-another-winamp-clone?

    > Because of licensing issues? I wouldn't want to use anybody
    > else's code for an MP3 player either, as writing one isn't
    > the most complicated thing. Just look at the core of mpg123.
    > It's reasonably simple, yet it works really well.

    mxaudio worked much better for me, on several different
    SGI boxes.

  10. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    wave++ wrote:
    > Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons.
    > Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now?
    > Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp
    > style.

    I can't help you with that, since, on my O2, antialiasing is enabled for
    Iconview and fm windows, but disabled for the desktop. Is that the
    way it's intended to work?

    Rainer

  11. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    On 2003-11-12, Rainer M. Canavan wrote:
    >> Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons.
    >> Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now?
    >> Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp
    >> style.
    >>

    > I can't help you with that, since, on my O2, antialiasing is enabled for
    > Iconview and fm windows, but disabled for the desktop. Is that the
    > way it's intended to work?

    By desktop you mean "the icons on the root window"? They are antialiased
    on my machine.

    I've asked supportfolio about that and replied me about setting the

    *ImdNuseOpenGL: False;

    resource. I still have to try this out though as I'm not in front of my
    workstation by now.

    --
    wave++ (also known, in some places, as "Yuri D'Elia") http://www.yuv.info/
    The email address is fake (thanks swen)! You know how to contact me anyway.

  12. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    On 2003-11-10, wave++ wrote:
    > Oh well, just installed 6.5.22 and looking at the new antialiased icons.
    > Can antialiasing be disabled in some ways in inconviews now?
    > Several icons looks really smeared to me, and I want back the old sharp
    > style.

    Fixed with with the resource 'useOpenGL' set to false.

    --
    wave++ (also known, in some places, as "Yuri D'Elia") http://www.yuv.info/
    The email address is fake (thanks swen)! You know how to contact me anyway.

  13. Re: irix 6.5.22 AA icons

    On 11 Nov 2003 10:04:56 GMT, wave++ wrote:

    >But, sincerly, why do not intergrate XMMS instead of doing
    >yet-another-winamp-clone? Being a TOY, there's nothing to loose.

    xmms has an invalid license (at least for the mp3 decoding portion).

+ Reply to Thread