Supportfolio and IRIX downloads - SGI

This is a discussion on Supportfolio and IRIX downloads - SGI ; SGI seems to have dumped IRIX 6.5.17 and 6.5.18 downloads from Supportfolio. That's all fine as those two were getting a bit old already. Somebody's just being a bastard or simply incompetent at SGI. There's no 'free' downloads to replace ...

  1. Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    SGI seems to have dumped IRIX 6.5.17 and 6.5.18 downloads
    from Supportfolio. That's all fine as those two were getting
    a bit old already.

    Somebody's just being a bastard or simply incompetent at SGI.
    There's no 'free' downloads to replace the old 6.5.17! Every
    overlay download now requires support or a dev account.

    It doesn't really make sense for everybody to get a developer account
    just to download an OS upgrade! Especially so with the connection
    between the dev accounts and the supportfolio accounts being
    what it is.

    What is going on? SGI, this playing around with the
    overlays doesn't exactly instill confidence in your customers.
    Stuff like this won't exactly make me buy the OS support either.
    If they don't know how to offer downloads, how can they handle
    an operating system?

    Just venting. Sorry if it sounded like trolling.

    Mika

  2. I agree and I say something to SGI's CEO!!!

    Hello,

    Came here because I wanted to see if I was the only one facing this problem.

    I just started to configure my old Indy that was installed with 6.5.10
    because I wanted to use it as my personal web server (small site). I
    started to download 6.5.17 because it was the only update available for
    me... I successfully downloaded 2 parts out of 4... and what do I see
    today? No more 6.5.17 to download (with no explanation!).

    Needless to say, this reminds me some old technics that I didn't think I
    would see again on this market.

    Dear Mr Robert Bishop (SGI's CEO), I believe you don't really understand
    what makes people buy and use hardware: easy access to software.

    Now, what you got is that I'm going to take my old Sun and configure it
    because I'm not going to loose more time with your company. You don't
    want me to use your software/hardware, fine, I'm sure I'll find a
    company that will want me (an old customer).

    PS: your stock is at $1.10 and I wish you an happy way to 0.

  3. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    What happened to n-3 access?

    --
    #include
    Christopher Miller

  4. Re: I agree and I say something to SGI's CEO!!!

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:54:47 +0100, ToTheEnd wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Came here because I wanted to see if I was the only one facing this problem.
    >
    >I just started to configure my old Indy that was installed with 6.5.10
    >because I wanted to use it as my personal web server (small site). I
    >started to download 6.5.17 because it was the only update available for
    >me... I successfully downloaded 2 parts out of 4... and what do I see
    >today? No more 6.5.17 to download (with no explanation!).

    http://smokeping.planetmirror.com/pub/patches/irix/6.5/

    Neil Rothwell
    Freelance Mechanical Design Engineer
    E-Mail: neil@rothers.demon.co.uk
    Home Page: http://www.rothers.demon.co.uk

  5. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    In message , "" wrote:
    > What happened to n-3 access?

    This is what the Maintenance Stream Access announcement said:

    "Special Note:
    When security and data integrity patches are released, complimentary access to
    the oldest compatible version of the M Stream will be made available. Since
    patches are developed for and tested against the current and three-prior IRIX
    releases, access to IRIX "N-3" is the minimum requirement for all customers to
    be able to apply for the patch. So for example, if a security patch is
    developed while IRIX 6.5.18 is the current release, the M Stream for IRIX®
    6.5.15 will be made available along with the patch. Additional IRIX information
    is located at www.sgi.com/software/."

    I guess there haven't been security or data integrity patches lately.
    Sgi probably didn't realize they removed the only free maintenance release.

    Mark

  6. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    Mark Hellegers wrote:
    > In message , "" wrote:
    >
    >>What happened to n-3 access?
    >>

    > This is what the Maintenance Stream Access announcement said:
    >
    > "Special Note:
    > When security and data integrity patches are released, complimentary access to
    > the oldest compatible version of the M Stream will be made available. Since
    > patches are developed for and tested against the current and three-prior IRIX
    > releases, access to IRIX "N-3" is the minimum requirement for all customers to
    > be able to apply for the patch. So for example, if a security patch is
    > developed while IRIX 6.5.18 is the current release, the M Stream for IRIX®
    > 6.5.15 will be made available along with the patch. Additional IRIX information
    > is located at www.sgi.com/software/."
    >
    > I guess there haven't been security or data integrity patches lately.
    > Sgi probably didn't realize they removed the only free maintenance release.

    Ahhhh ! I get it now ! Since they haven't developed any patches
    since 6.5.20 there won't be any newer maintenance releases !

    waykewl. I misunderstood before ... it doesn't *really* say n-3,
    it says n-3 IF there are any new security patches !

    Someday I gotta go to lawyer school so I can properly understand
    these weasel-clauses.

  7. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    previously Mika Kongas may have written article
    saying:
    [snip]
    > There's no 'free' downloads to replace the old 6.5.17! Every
    > overlay download now requires support or a dev account.

    Assuming that the dev system is actually working to the point were it
    will let you login to your account once it's created.

    [snip]
    --
    Giolla Decair
    "Missed it

  8. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    In article <3fad8ff8$0$58709$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Mark Hellegers wrote:
    > releases, access to IRIX "N-3" is the minimum requirement for all customers to
    > be able to apply for the patch. So for example, if a security patch is
    > developed while IRIX 6.5.18 is the current release, the M Stream for IRIX®
    > 6.5.15 will be made available along with the patch. Additional IRIX information
    > is located at www.sgi.com/software/."

    Not quite sure when 6.5.22m was released, but shouldn't the above text
    together with:

    Patch 5386: CDE 5.3.2 - Fix libDtHelp buffer overflow -- 03-Nov-2003

    at least bring "N-3" up to 6.5.18m? Possibly 6.5.19m..

    Not that I would ever run CDE..

    -jf

  9. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    In message , Jan-Frode Myklebust
    wrote:
    > In article <3fad8ff8$0$58709$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Mark Hellegers wrote:
    > > releases, access to IRIX "N-3" is the minimum requirement for all

    > customers to
    > > be able to apply for the patch. So for example, if a security patch is
    > > developed while IRIX 6.5.18 is the current release, the M Stream for

    > IRIX®
    > > 6.5.15 will be made available along with the patch. Additional IRIX

    > information
    > > is located at www.sgi.com/software/."
    > >

    > Not quite sure when 6.5.22m was released, but shouldn't the above text
    > together with:
    >
    > Patch 5386: CDE 5.3.2 - Fix libDtHelp buffer overflow -- 03-Nov-2003
    >
    > at least bring "N-3" up to 6.5.18m? Possibly 6.5.19m..

    Good point. The only explanation I can come up with, is that it is not
    installed by default. Shouldn't make a difference according to the note, but
    you never know.

    It was mentioned in this post
    http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...1tl1.fq1.hello
    %40diabolo.rootshell.be that someone from Sgi told the poster that soon you'll
    need a maintenance contract to download overlays, but I expect Sgi to at least
    make some statement before actually doing it.

    > Not that I would ever run CDE..

    Not when you can have 4Dwm, no.

    Mark

  10. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    Giolla Decair wrote:
    > previously Mika Kongas may have written article
    > saying:
    > [snip]
    >
    >>There's no 'free' downloads to replace the old 6.5.17! Every
    >>overlay download now requires support or a dev account.

    > Assuming that the dev system is actually working to the point were it
    > will let you login to your account once it's created.

    or that your dev account is actually linked to the supportfolio account,
    which still doesn't work here even with matching data. I finally gave up
    after countless attempts to contact sgi. So no m-stream download here
    even with an developer online account.

    Cheers
    Andreas

  11. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    In message , Andreas Backhaus
    wrote:
    > Giolla Decair wrote:
    > > previously Mika Kongas may have written article
    > > saying:
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > >>There's no 'free' downloads to replace the old 6.5.17! Every
    > >>overlay download now requires support or a dev account.

    > > Assuming that the dev system is actually working to the point were it
    > > will let you login to your account once it's created.

    > or that your dev account is actually linked to the supportfolio account,
    > which still doesn't work here even with matching data. I finally gave up
    > after countless attempts to contact sgi. So no m-stream download here
    > even with an developer online account.

    The 6.5.19m release is now available for download.
    Downloading it now.

    Mark

  12. Re: Supportfolio and IRIX downloads

    Mark Hellegers wrote:

    > The 6.5.19m release is now available for download.
    > Downloading it now.

    Thank you, SGI.

+ Reply to Thread