O2 Performance - SGI

This is a discussion on O2 Performance - SGI ; I have an O2 system with R5000@180MHz CPU and 64MB of RAM and 9GB of HD. It is extremly slow! Obviously running IRIX 6.5.20 with 64MB is a main performance issue. Do you think though that upgrading the RAM to ...

  1. O2 Performance

    I have an O2 system with R5000@180MHz CPU and 64MB of RAM and 9GB of
    HD. It is extremly slow! Obviously running IRIX 6.5.20 with 64MB is a
    main performance issue. Do you think though that upgrading the RAM to
    128 or 256 MB will make a big difference? Is there anyone who has the
    same specs with me but more RAM to tell me how his/her system does? Is
    it a matter of RAM or CPU frequency?

    Thanks
    V.S.

  2. Re: O2 Performance

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Vassilis Stratis wrote:

    > I have an O2 system with R5000@180MHz CPU and 64MB of RAM and 9GB of
    > HD. It is extremly slow! Obviously running IRIX 6.5.20 with 64MB is a
    > main performance issue. Do you think though that upgrading the RAM to
    > 128 or 256 MB will make a big difference? Is there anyone who has the
    > same specs with me but more RAM to tell me how his/her system does? Is
    > it a matter of RAM or CPU frequency?

    More RAM will make a tremendous difference. While IRIX 6.5.x will
    run in 64MB of RAM, it will be much more responsive with at least
    192MB (and I recommend laying your hands on as much RAM as possible).
    I personally consider anything less than 256MB to be an under-powered
    machine.

    Also, it depends on the exact model you have. The R5000SC O2 is much
    zippier than the R5000PC O2; the SC model has a secondary cache,
    whereas the PC model (price-reduced version) does not. In fact,
    a 150MHz Indy will feel faster than a 180MHz R5000PC O2 due to the
    effects of the cache. This was a surprise to me when I "upgraded" my
    desktop some time ago.

    So to answer your question, in practice the amount of RAM you have in the
    system is really not enough. You'll get a major performance boost by
    installing more memory. If you have the R5000PC O2 instead of the R5000SC
    O2, I'm afraid the machine will always seem a bit sluggish, though more
    RAM will be beneficial. The clock speed of the CPU doesn't have much to
    do with why your system feels slow, so don't worry about that right now.
    If you do want to upgrade your CPU, I'd first look at getting the R5000SC
    version.

    To tell which model you have, run 'hinv'. If you don't see a line
    about the "Secondary unified instruction/data/cache", then you have
    the PC version.

    Hope that helps,
    Brent Casavant

    --