installing Java on Irix 6.5 WITHOUT root access - SGI

This is a discussion on installing Java on Irix 6.5 WITHOUT root access - SGI ; Hi, I need to install an old version of Java for testing purposes on a large machine on which I lack root access. I just want to install it locally in my directory, and then use some environment variables to ...

  1. installing Java on Irix 6.5 WITHOUT root access

    Hi,

    I need to install an old version of Java for testing purposes on a large
    machine on which I lack root access. I just want to install it locally in
    my directory, and then use some environment variables to get some other
    software to use that version of Java.

    Here's what I want to install (the Java execution environment for JDK 1.3):
    http://www.sgi.com/products/evaluation/6.x_java2_1.3/

    Is this feasible, or not?

    TIA,

    Jonathan

  2. Re: installing Java on Irix 6.5 WITHOUT root access

    In article ,
    Jonathan Epstein wrote:
    :I need to install an old version of Java for testing purposes on a large
    :machine on which I lack root access. I just want to install it locally in
    :my directory, and then use some environment variables to get some other
    :software to use that version of Java.

    :Here's what I want to install (the Java execution environment for JDK 1.3):
    : http://www.sgi.com/products/evaluation/6.x_java2_1.3/

    :Is this feasible, or not?

    You can probably do it, if you can find the right environment
    variables for the other software.

    To install software in your own directory, use the -r option to inst.
    For example,

    inst -r /usr/people/epsteinj/jdk1.3

    Note that this pushes *everything* down relative to / -- for example,
    you get a full var/inst/ subdirectory along with everything else,
    because it treats the given directory as if it were /