SGI net install (Note: Long post) - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI net install (Note: Long post) - SGI ; Good evening everyone. I recently obtained an SGI Challenge S (200 MHz, 160 MB RAM, AUI/RJ45 Ethernet, many, many scsi ports) and I've been attempting to install IRIX on it. I've obtained files from the SGI site (a few different ...

  1. SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    Good evening everyone.

    I recently obtained an SGI Challenge S (200 MHz, 160 MB RAM, AUI/RJ45
    Ethernet, many, many scsi ports) and I've been attempting to install
    IRIX on it.

    I've obtained files from the SGI site (a few different versions, one
    feature, one maintenence) and I'm wondering about what to do next.

    1. I can't make a worthwhile CD image with the files; when I attempt
    to boot the CDROM, or load software from the command monitor, it just
    complains.

    2. When I try to perform a net install, it just repeats "ec0: ethernet
    cable problem"

    I've been searching Google, google groups, and the owner's manual
    (which I have) and I can't find too much information on a few things:

    1. How do I know that it's using the RJ45 connector and not the AUI
    connector? I get a link light on the hub/switch, so I know it's
    connecting.
    2. If ec0 is the AUI port, how do I tell it to use the RJ45 port? Is
    that et0?
    3. Assuming that I can get the network install to work, is it safe to
    say that the files from the site (IRIX6.5.17_1of4.tar.gz and so forth)
    untarred into a dir will be enough?
    4. Is it even close to possible to either make, or obtain pre-made
    ISO images so I can install from CD (being the easier, and likely much
    quicker option)
    5. Licensing: Will I install the software I downloaded for free, only
    to find that it won't work until I pay 200 bucks for a license?

    I've spent quite a bit of time on this so far, and despite my
    searching, my familiarizing myself with the command monitor, the ways
    of setting up NFS/tftp/rsh/bootp servers, I can't find the answers for
    smaller items (solving ethernet cabling problems). I couldn't find
    enough info on the command monitor to be useful.

    Any info would be swell; I haven't found a decent document on SGI's
    site yet (it's a bit hard to navigate, lots of cyclical links there,
    I'm afriad)

    Adam

  2. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    In article <726b41c9.0310291847.2b3ce5d7@posting.google.com>,
    Adam wrote:
    :I recently obtained an SGI Challenge S (200 MHz, 160 MB RAM, AUI/RJ45
    :Ethernet, many, many scsi ports) and I've been attempting to install
    :IRIX on it.

    :I've obtained files from the SGI site (a few different versions, one
    :feature, one maintenence) and I'm wondering about what to do next.

    :1. I can't make a worthwhile CD image with the files; when I attempt
    :to boot the CDROM, or load software from the command monitor, it just
    :complains.

    The software you can get from SGI's site is not suitable for installing
    IRIX as a whole. As I recall, there -is- enough software provided
    on their site for you to enter installation mode.

    :2. When I try to perform a net install, it just repeats "ec0: ethernet
    :cable problem"

    :1. How do I know that it's using the RJ45 connector and not the AUI
    :connector? I get a link light on the hub/switch, so I know it's
    :connecting.

    They are the same interface, as far as I recall. The same data is
    sent to each, if I recall correctly.

    :3. Assuming that I can get the network install to work, is it safe to
    :say that the files from the site (IRIX6.5.17_1of4.tar.gz and so forth)
    :untarred into a dir will be enough?

    No. Those are just the patches to the original IRIX, together with
    some install tools.

    :4. Is it even close to possible to either make, or obtain pre-made
    :ISO images so I can install from CD (being the easier, and likely much
    :quicker option)

    No, IRIX doesn't normally install from ISO, and you don't have enough
    tools to be able to make it install from ISO. The IRIX install
    CDs are in IRIX hard disk format with an IRIX EFS filesystem partition.

    :5. Licensing: Will I install the software I downloaded for free, only
    :to find that it won't work until I pay 200 bucks for a license?

    IRIX itself does not check for a license, so if you somehow snagged
    a full version appropriate to your hardware, it would run (unauthorized.)
    --
    Most Windows users will run any old attachment you send them, so if
    you want to implicate someone you can just send them a Trojan

  3. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    In article ,
    Walter Roberson wrote:

    >The software you can get from SGI's site is not suitable for installing
    >IRIX as a whole. As I recall, there -is- enough software provided
    >on their site for you to enter installation mode.

    I think, though, that you'll need another IRIX system to massage the
    downloaded stuff so that you can use it to boot (over the network or
    otherwise), since you need to pull apart the "sa" file. I talked about
    this a little while ago when describing some goofiness in upgrading my
    O2. Google for a recent post from me that talks about "mkboottape."

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  4. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > :1. How do I know that it's using the RJ45 connector and not the AUI
    > : connector? I get a link light on the hub/switch, so I know it's
    > : connecting.

    > They are the same interface, as far as I recall. The same data is
    > sent to each, if I recall correctly.

    The values on the challenge-s right in front of me are:

    15pin AUI: ec0
    RJ45 on the HVD SCSI board: ec3

    I am actually using a 3rd ethernetcard sfe0 with it (G100 from Phobos).

    --
    PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30

  5. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    In article <37t671-bk4l.ln1@Indigo.Homeunix.Org>,
    Marcus Herbert wrote:
    |Walter Roberson wrote:
    |> :1. How do I know that it's using the RJ45 connector and not the AUI
    |> : connector? I get a link light on the hub/switch, so I know it's
    |> : connecting.

    |> They are the same interface, as far as I recall. The same data is
    |> sent to each, if I recall correctly.

    |The values on the challenge-s right in front of me are:

    | 15pin AUI: ec0
    | RJ45 on the HVD SCSI board: ec3

    Ah, my memory did indeed fail me for the Challenge S. The chassis tour
    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...html/ch02.html
    shows the interface names clearly. I was remembering that there was
    an RJ45 on the Indy, but I forgot that it was for ISDN instead of
    ethernet.

    With regards to the original questions:

    Be aware that the secondary Ethernet interface, ec3, is not
    available until the system is booted. Only the primary Ethernet
    interface, ec0, is available when the system is in system
    maintenance mode

    The primary interface ec0 is the AUI one.
    --
    Caution: A subset of the statements in this message may be
    tautologically true.

  6. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    Dans article , roberson@ibd.nrc-
    cnrc.gc.ca disait...
    > I was remembering that there was
    > an RJ45 on the Indy, but I forgot that it was for ISDN instead of
    > ethernet.

    But the Indy has both an AUI AND RJ45 for ec0. Actually there are 2 RJ45
    : ec0 and ISDN.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  7. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    adamb@iconideas.com (Adam) wrote:
    > I've obtained files from the SGI site (a few different versions, one
    > feature, one maintenence) and I'm wondering about what to do next.

    They won't include the Foundation CDs, which are essential for any
    OS installation.

    > 1. I can't make a worthwhile CD image with the files; when I attempt
    > to boot the CDROM, or load software from the command monitor, it just
    > complains.

    That's the because the CDs are just iso9660s, whereas SGI bootable
    CDs are EFS format which includes a volume header.

    > 2. When I try to perform a net install, it just repeats "ec0: ethernet
    > cable problem"

    You need to use ec3 (the AUI port), and perhaps these pages may help:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html
    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/netboot.html

    > 3. Assuming that I can get the network install to work, is it safe to
    > say that the files from the site (IRIX6.5.17_1of4.tar.gz and so forth)
    > untarred into a dir will be enough?

    No, not enough.

    > 4. Is it even close to possible to either make, or obtain pre-made
    > ISO images so I can install from CD (being the easier, and likely much
    > quicker option)

    They're not ISO format.

    > 5. Licensing: Will I install the software I downloaded for free, only
    > to find that it won't work until I pay 200 bucks for a license?

    Doens't work that way. If you have the CDs, it will install fine. The
    legal license issue is separate from the ability to physically do the
    installation. There isn't any code to enter or anything like that. This
    is why people go hunting for CD sets on Ebay, etc.

    > I've spent quite a bit of time on this so far, and despite my
    > searching, my familiarizing myself with the command monitor, the ways
    > of setting up NFS/tftp/rsh/bootp servers, I can't find the answers for
    > smaller items (solving ethernet cabling problems). I couldn't find
    > enough info on the command monitor to be useful.

    I hate to say it, but this issue of the downloads from SGI not being
    sufficient for an install has been covered many times on this forum,
    ie. a search of past posts would have revealed the answers, but never
    mind. I don't know whether you searched for net installation info,
    but a Google search on 'IRIX net install' or 'IRIX network install'
    brings up my page(s) 2nd & 3rd, and also others. Plenty of info available
    really.

    > Any info would be swell; I haven't found a decent document on SGI's
    > site yet (it's a bit hard to navigate, lots of cyclical links there,
    > I'm afriad)

    That's because all the decent documents aren't on SGI's site, so SGI
    don't bother.

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/advert/ian.html
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Home: +44 (0)131 477 1142
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/
    BSc Dissertation (Doom): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/diss/

  8. Re: SGI net install (Note: Long post)

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > With regards to the original questions:
    > Be aware that the secondary Ethernet interface, ec3, is not
    > available until the system is booted. Only the primary Ethernet
    > interface, ec0, is available when the system is in system
    > maintenance mode

    Ahhh! That explains a lot of the trouble i had during installation :-)

    --
    PGP2 Key-ID: 666R/36540865 1997-06-09 Marcus Herbert
    GPG Key-ID: 1024D/2E2DAB44 2000-01-30
    Geek-Code: GCS b O e+ h

+ Reply to Thread